Alumni Jerseys Misspelled.

LouBrawls

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Well.. let's think about that for a moment.

Let's say other teams make the mistake, but overall that misspelled nameplate is only the 7th finger you can point at that organization.  Whereas, with the Sabres, it might be the 14th finger you could point at them.

So yes, it's way down the list... the list that is longer than most other teams when it shouldn't be.  So, in one way, it's less important than other issues with the Sabres, but relative to other teams, it's worse because it adds on at #14 and not #7.

They may share in some incompetencies, but they exceed them overall.  Not the race you want to win.

Do you hear colors?

For those interested in this story, Schopp and Bulldog spent several hours teeing off on the Sabres organization on Wednesday, January 22nd, and then most of Hour 1 of their show yesterday on Thursday, January 23rd.  Their shows are recorded and you can listen to them all at WGR-550.com.  

The theme was that the organization as a whole is tuned out in terms of what fans want and they continually make inept decisions resulting in a diminished fan experience at the games.  The spelling errors on the sweaters were mentioned, the generally poorly maintained state of the building, various acts or omissions made during games, etc.  

This is nothing new; S&B have hit on this topic many times over the years, with many owners.

As Mike pointed out, the tank years were better than right now, b/c there was a sense of purpose to the tank, it had a defined vision, and it was fun to follow it through to completion.

But now?  What's the plan now?  We are smack dab in the middle of the absolutely WORST era in Sabres history.

Congratulations Buffalo Sabres! 

One of their callers mentioned that he and his buddies have asked recently if the state of the organization is actually worse now than under Golisano.  

An interesting question, that.

Edited by Kruppstahl

3 hours ago, shrader said:

Do you hear colors?

No.  I also don't see colors when I hear sound.

I'm not sure why you chose to respond that way.  If you did not understand my point it would have been better to just say as such so that I may attempt to clarify for you.

Super simple version:

Entity A sucks at A,B,C

Entity B sucks at A,B,C,D

Entity C sucks at B,D,E,F,G,H,I

The order in which the issues above appear are their importance to each other. Each letter is the same in each group.

As such, "I" is not as important as "B" however, and "D" is not as important as "A".  However, Entity B sucks that much more than Entity A and Entity C, while doing A and C well, apparently sucks at a lot of other things.  Now, if you applied a general value of importance to each you could calculate just how much it matters.

Which is to say, if "A" had a value of 100, but "B" was 10, and the remainders down the line even less.. then Entity C, while doing more things wrong actually sucks less than Entities A and B because at least they do the really important thing right.

See, it's easy.  I can use colors if you want. ?

24 minutes ago, shrader said:

Or one event can be completely unrelated to the others.  But somehow we choose to lump in a jersey typo along with on ice problems because they're completely the same thing.  Basically, people who want to bitch will bitch.

Not to be repetitive, but Ted Black was right about how doing a lot of little things adds up to overall success. The Andreychuck story got out there. A number of pending NHL free agents probably heard about it. Does it make them 1% less likely to sign with the Sabres? 5%? This is how they treat alumni? This is how they run their team?

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

What does this mean?

Interesting. I would have thought the point was obvious.

LEMUIEX takes his turn skating around PPG Arena ice, trailed by JAGER.

On 1/24/2020 at 3:39 PM, PASabreFan said:

Not to be repetitive, but Ted Black was right about how doing a lot of little things adds up to overall success. The Andreychuck story got out there. A number of pending NHL free agents probably heard about it. Does it make them 1% less likely to sign with the Sabres? 5%? This is how they treat alumni? This is how they run their team?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj826ak_qPnAhWAlnIEHZplBE8QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.in%2Fdetail%2Fnews-photo%2Fwayne-gretzky-wearing-a-jersey-with-the-wrong-spelling-of-news-photo%2F53125145&psig=AOvVaw37-1R9fcKwRrFeWBTXKWSx&ust=1580221585774835

No one ever signed with the Rangers ever again.

My guess is that 50% of pending free agents probably asked "who" when hearing about this story (the Sabre story, if they heard at all).  The other 50% said "I would have spelled it that way too".

Edited by shrader

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj826ak_qPnAhWAlnIEHZplBE8QjRx6BAgBEAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gettyimages.in%2Fdetail%2Fnews-photo%2Fwayne-gretzky-wearing-a-jersey-with-the-wrong-spelling-of-news-photo%2F53125145&psig=AOvVaw37-1R9fcKwRrFeWBTXKWSx&ust=1580221585774835

No one ever signed with the Rangers ever again.

My guess is that 50% of pending free agents probably asked "who" when hearing about this story.  The other 50% said "I would have spelled it that way too".

I think somewhere around 99% of NHL players still know who Wayne Gretzky is.

The jersey snafus only reinforce an existing idea of what the Sabres franchise is.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I think somewhere around 99% of NHL players still know who Wayne Gretzky is.

The jersey snafus only reinforce an existing idea of what the Sabres franchise is.

Sorry, I meant the Dave "story" and I went back and edited my post.  But on that note, I bet most never even saw it.  Hell, we're talking about a league where a good number of players have just accepted incorrect pronunciations of their names for years.  I don't think a nameplate error is going to send up any red flags.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Eichel works for the team.  Do you want Kerry and Tim to fire Eichel?

Seriously, though, the game day experience needs to change, big time.

Yes. We should burn the arena, salt the earth, then sink it in the lake. 

It all needs to change. It is an incompetent mess from top to bottom. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:13 PM, shrader said:

Or one event can be completely unrelated to the others.  But somehow we choose to lump in a jersey typo along with on ice problems because they're completely the same thing.  Basically, people who want to bitch will bitch.

maybe, but it might also tell you that the problem is far deeper than a 2C or a coach or a GM, it's a deep rooted culture that is completely f'd. I've said it before and I will keep saying it until things get better. You can't change a culture by replacing a few people or players. You need to replace everyone and everything in the entire organization.

13 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

maybe, but it might also tell you that the problem is far deeper than a 2C or a coach or a GM, it's a deep rooted culture that is completely f'd. I've said it before and I will keep saying it until things get better. You can't change a culture by replacing a few people or players. You need to replace everyone and everything in the entire organization.

If it is a deep rooted culture and not merely a lack of talent and, in the case of the PP, scheme, how do you explain their play in October?

On 1/20/2020 at 4:58 PM, FiXCzeR said:

The absolute state of the franchise. The same thing happened to me earlier this month.

There was a thread back in November that authentic 50th anniversary jerseys were for sale on icejerseys.com so I bought one (with a 30% off coupon code) that finally came in the day after Christmas. I took it to the Sabres Store to get it customized because I thought they would do things properly. The young kid working was giving me attitude and had to check with his manager because he thought it was a Chinese bootleg (It should've been obvious it was real, the fake jerseys have yellow stripes, not gold). After it was confirmed to be authentic, the kid said to me: "We can't even get these anymore." I couldn't help but think, "Maybe Adidas doesn't like the way you're price gouging. Especially since I got the jersey for only $125.93."

So a couple weeks go by and I get a call that my jersey was ready. I drove all the way from Newfane to the arena (90 minutes round trip), only to find this when I picked it up.

Even though Hawerchuk is in the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Sabres Hall of Fame, and the order form had the proper spelling, they still found a way to screw it up.

The ineptitude of the organization is astounding.

20200103155728_IMG_6909.jpg

20200103171622_IMG_6911.jpg

Did they fix it for free?

1 minute ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Did they fix it for free?

Yes, they fixed it without charge. Not a lot of acceptance for the mistake since they blamed AdPro. When I told him I drove just under an hour to get here after you told me my jersey was ready, the guy at the counter listlessly said: "Yeah, sorry about that."

I learned my lesson, I'm not going there again.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

If it is a deep rooted culture and not merely a lack of talent and, in the case of the PP, scheme, how do you explain their play in October?

Just like the run the year before. Games are easier at the beginning of the year, teams take them lightly, nobody's really hitting much or playing hard tough D. They had a few new looks and it took a while for other teams to scout them properly (eg. the new PP wrinkle with VO as a sniper). Krueger had them believing for a while. They are a great fair weather team but as soon as things get tougher, a few injuries, whatever, then it all falls apart. It becomes infectious.

One example. Johanson. When he came to Boston he was pretty meh (like he is now). After a few games he saw guys sticking up for him, playing large, and he started playing larger, more fearless. He was really good, and the team and culture around him there helped elevate his bravery. He cam here as that same player and started good, but it didn't take long for him to lose that and become a pretty meh player yet again. In a culture where it becomes clear that no one will step up for anyone else, why would anyone put out extra?

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Did this really happen?

I think it did--and I'm not sure I have a problem with it.  Maybe don't give Okposo the Disney princess category, but for the little girl, well, what kind of world is she getting to know if she is rewarded for losing?  (Sabre world!)  

Of course, a smarter approach would be to let the Kid of the Day automatically have those dressing room passes (which cost the team nothing) and have the Kid of the Day play the contest to win a mini-stick or a puck or something.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.