Alumni Jerseys Misspelled.

LouBrawls

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the Robi jersey is from a different event. That shoulder patch is not the same as the other jerseys. It is lower. 

Good catch on that one.  There's a reason why the Vogl tweet upthread only used the Andreychuk picture.

What event was that anyway?  I'm assuming 80s night.  I think I missed that game because I can't remember that decade being honored.  I was also wondering if I should feel shame for not having a clue who Myre is, but I'm over that now that I've looked him up.  5 games played in 82-83?  How did he get in on the event, one of those guys who stayed local?

But on another note, these jersey folks clearly like the name "chuck".  Was the team able to lure in Malarchuk for the event?  I'd be curious to see if they got his right.

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

Good catch on that one.  There's a reason why the Vogl tweet upthread only used the Andreychuk picture.

What event was that anyway?  I'm assuming 80s night.  I think I missed that game because I can't remember that decade being honored.  I was also wondering if I should feel shame for not having a clue who Myre is, but I'm over that now that I've looked him up.  5 games played in 82-83?  How did he get in on the event, one of those guys who stayed local?

But on another note, these jersey folks clearly like the name "chuck".  Was the team able to lure in Malarchuk for the event?  I'd be curious to see if they got his right.

Well, technically, there was no photo included in Vogl's original tweet that mentions SabreSpace. The photo is in a sub-tweet. I hope this makes me sound like a nerd.

I remember Phil Myre for taking over for Bob Sauve in a 9-0 loss to the Bruins in the 1983 playoffs. @New Scotland (NS) After digging a little, I'm pretty shocked to see that Bowman replaced Sauve at the 3:14 mark of the first period after Boston went up 2-0 in a series that was tied at 2. The move pretty clearly backfired on Scotty. Myre was in Munreal early in Bowman's coaching tenure there, so maybe that influenced the decision.

36 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Well, technically, there was no photo included in Vogl's original tweet that mentions SabreSpace. The photo is in a sub-tweet. I hope this makes me sound like a nerd.

I remember Phil Myre for taking over for Bob Sauve in a 9-0 loss to the Bruins in the 1983 playoffs. @New Scotland (NS) After digging a little, I'm pretty shocked to see that Bowman replaced Sauve at the 3:14 mark of the first period after Boston went up 2-0 in a series that was tied at 2. The move pretty clearly backfired on Scotty. Myre was in Munreal early in Bowman's coaching tenure there, so maybe that influenced the decision.

Yeah, I have no idea how that tweet/sub-tweet crap works.  I feel dirty even talking about it.

And ahhh, I didn't look at playoff numbers.  So add 3 more games to Myre's Sabre career.

48 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

Even if the Roby is from 70's night, it's still misspelled and he's been in the community and on Tv for 30+ years.

The shoulder patch difference is because they are different brand jerseys. The fact still remains, that this should not happen.

I don't think that jersey is from this year at all. How could they be different brands? Did Buffalo order multiple brands of their own jerseys? Andrechuk is def screwed up but I think the Robi is from another thing altogether. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think that jersey is from this year at all. How could they be different brands? Did Buffalo order multiple brands of their own jerseys? Andrechuk is def screwed up but I think the Robi is from another thing altogether. 

I remember the Robi jersey from a while back. I'm pretty sure we even discussed it on here.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They are easily  different brands, some CCM,  SP or Adidas.  If you look at this album from 70s night, the guys who are around more (Roby, Gare) have jerseys where the patch is lower. Guys like Dudley and Andy have a higher patch. Different jerseys, probably different brands. Puppa has an SP jerseys. Heck, Grant Ledyard wore his actual game jersey from 1993. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/photos/sabres-islanders-photo-gallery-70s-night/g-310799802/p-310801952

27 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

They are easily  different brands, some CCM,  SP or Adidas.  If you look at this album from 70s night, the guys who are around more (Roby, Gare) have jerseys where the patch is lower. Guys like Dudley and Andy have a higher patch. Different jerseys, probably different brands. Puppa has an SP jerseys. Heck, Grant Ledyard wore his actual game jersey from 1993. 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/photos/sabres-islanders-photo-gallery-70s-night/g-310799802/p-310801952

Some of them might have been Alumni team jerseys. I believe that the Alumni Association and team operate independently of the Sabres and have traditionally taken care of sourcing their own jerseys for their members to wear for events, alumni games, etc. I recall those jerseys being accurate and of high quality. 

39 minutes ago, LouBrawls said:

Yea that's why I said they aren't from the same year. The Sabres didn't order the jerseys for that night from different sources. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea that's why I said they aren't from the same year. The Sabres didn't order the jerseys for that night from different sources. 

They might be from the same event, but it looks like the team supplied jerseys to players that didn't have one and left other guys to wear whatever they had laying around, be it original game worns, alumni association versions, etc. It would make sense that the one with the shoulder patches in the wrong spot would also have the name spelled wrong, since that would make it one of the ones the team provided. The Robi one looks like an Alumni Association version though, which makes it even stranger...

Edited by darksabre
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Roby is sitting on the Sabre bench looking down towards the other team's net.  If you watch the reverse angle replay of Jack's goal from the last home game, you can see that same corner of the rink.  To the left of both nets, there is an NHL ad that reads "Download the ap". Robi's is just an "NHL.com" ad.  So yeah, unless they are routinely changing that ad, you are right.  The picture is not from this year.

https://www.nhl.com/video/eichel-nets-beauty-on-rush/t-312066212/c-5102200

Edited by shrader
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, shrader said:

Robi is sitting on the Sabre bench looking down towards the other team's net.  If you watch the reverse angle replay of Jack's goal from the last home game, you can see that same corner of the rink.  To the left of both nets, there is an NHL ad that reads "Download the ap". Robi's is just an "NHL.com" ad.  So yeah, unless they are routinely changing that ad, you are right.  The picture is not from this year.

https://www.nhl.com/video/eichel-nets-beauty-on-rush/t-312066212/c-5102200

You've now done more work than most buffalo reporters. Well done. 

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

solid gum show work there. fwiw, i think they do change/move those ads with some frequency.

I looked back to game photos from 70s night.  The "Download the ap" ad is still to the goalie's left.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You've now done more work than most buffalo reporters. Well done. 

I haven't seen anything from the so called reporters other than the earlier Vogl tweet.  That one didn't use the "Robitalle" picture.  So unless someone else is using it, we can't throw this one one the reporters.  That picture is only used in this thread.  I believe I've also seen it in a reddit post made by the same poster.

Yup, and it's distinctly possible that the Robi mistake jersey wasn't even the Sabres doing. It would be weird for the Alumni Association to screw it up since they've made so many jerseys for him already at this point, but it looks like one of theirs. Who knows....

The Hawerchuk/Andreychuk jerseys are unforgivable though. Along with the misplaced shoulder patches...

And don't forget that the 90s night Goathead jerseys were cheapo knockoffs that had the wrong collars and didn't have the important B-sword shoulder patches...

54 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Yup, and it's distinctly possible that the Robi mistake jersey wasn't even the Sabres doing. It would be weird for the Alumni Association to screw it up since they've made so many jerseys for him already at this point, but it looks like one of theirs. Who knows....

The Hawerchuk/Andreychuk jerseys are unforgivable though. Along with the misplaced shoulder patches...

And don't forget that the 90s night Goathead jerseys were cheapo knockoffs that had the wrong collars and didn't have the important B-sword shoulder patches...

Weren't those made by a different company than the NHL uses now? I wonder if there are copyright issues.

I find the misspellings somewhat annoying, but I find the grousing over subtle differences in design a little neurotic. I really couldn't care less, but that's just me.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why would you mention me in a post about those most dastardly Bruins?  Especially concerning a nightmarish night in the playoffs?

(insert a thingie of your choice here)

5 hours ago, SwampD said:

Weren't those made by a different company than the NHL uses now? I wonder if there are copyright issues.

I find the misspellings somewhat annoying, but I find the grousing over subtle differences in design a little neurotic. I really couldn't care less, but that's just me.

And let’s face it, some quick googling and you will find an endless list of misspelled name plates across all sports. Does that make each of those teams Horrible and incompetent too? There are plenty of things to point the finger at with this organization. This one is way down the list. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/22/2020 at 11:25 PM, shrader said:

And let’s face it, some quick googling and you will find an endless list of misspelled name plates across all sports. Does that make each of those teams Horrible and incompetent too? There are plenty of things to point the finger at with this organization. This one is way down the list. 

Well.. let's think about that for a moment.

Let's say other teams make the mistake, but overall that misspelled nameplate is only the 7th finger you can point at that organization.  Whereas, with the Sabres, it might be the 14th finger you could point at them.

So yes, it's way down the list... the list that is longer than most other teams when it shouldn't be.  So, in one way, it's less important than other issues with the Sabres, but relative to other teams, it's worse because it adds on at #14 and not #7.

They may share in some incompetencies, but they exceed them overall.  Not the race you want to win.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.