Asplund, Wilson and Pilut returned to Rochester

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

giphy.gif

Of course it's a good idea!

Edit: Wait, that's not my idiom, sir!

We need reinforcements to continue the AHL season. ---Send three squads to help.  +++ Open the back door.

(Rasmus the Third, Wilson, and Pilut the D-wing Pilot are covered by Ewoks during a Teddy Bear Toss Night.)

Edited by DarthEbriate

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Amerks need to win some games.  Good to have some of their better players back.

They have been losing every game since Gilmore, Mittlestadt, CJ Smith and Remy Elie came back.  

The first two have been a big problem. Constant turnovers, not following their system.  

3 hours ago, inkman said:

They have been losing every game since Gilmore, Mittlestadt, CJ Smith and Remy Elie came back.  

The first two have been a big problem. Constant turnovers, not following their system.  

If we can trade mittlestadt in the offseason we should do it.   I have less faith in him than I did in Grigorenko.

Edited by Huckleberry

16 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Saves some cap dollars too.  Every little bit helps.

Not picking on you particularly Tondas, because you are about the 15th person to say this this season, but for the love of all that's good and holy

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT MOVES TO SEND GUYS ON NEAR LEAGUE MINIMUM DEALS BACK/DOWN TO ROCHESTER ARE BEING MADE TO SAVE CAP SPACE?!?!?  THEY AREN'T.

As long as the Sabres are still over the leaguewide salary cap due to using the BF-LTIR salary cap exceedance provisions, they are not able to "bank" any salary cap space and they are getting no salary cap savings.  They are saving real out of pocket $'s (at least for Pilut & Asplund, but IF Wilson is on a 1 way deal they don't even get those savings) but they are not gaining ANY salary cap space by making these moves.

And at present the Sabres are nearly $2.5MM over the salary cap AFTER having sent those 3 down.  Unless something like Bogosian's salary coming off the books happens there is no possibility of gaining salary cap relief this year.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not picking on you particularly Tondas, because you are about the 15th person to say this this season, but for the love of all that's good and holy

CAN PEOPLE PLEASE STOP SAYING THAT MOVES TO SEND GUYS ON NEAR LEAGUE MINIMUM DEALS BACK/DOWN TO ROCHESTER ARE BEING MADE TO SAVE CAP SPACE?!?!?  THEY AREN'T.

As long as the Sabres are still over the leaguewide salary cap due to using the BF-LTIR salary cap exceedance provisions, they are not able to "bank" any salary cap space and they are getting no salary cap savings.  They are saving real out of pocket $'s (at least for Pilut & Asplund, but IF Wilson is on a 1 way deal they don't even get those savings) but they are not gaining ANY salary cap space by making these moves.

And at present the Sabres are nearly $2.5MM over the salary cap AFTER having sent those 3 down.  Unless something like Bogosian's salary coming off the books happens there is no possibility of gaining salary cap relief this year.

Thanks, Taro.  I always get an education from those more knowledgeable.  It's a big reason why I enjoy this board.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Thanks, Taro.  I always get an education from those more knowledgeable.  It's a big reason why I enjoy this board.

As mentioned, the "ire" was not directed at you personally in any way.  Just hoping that maybe a "Liger style" rant might bring the point home that in order for the Sabres to gain any cap relief this season Botterill will need to move some substantial salary off the books and it isn't likely to happen.

But especially if Sobotka will be out all season, the Sabres likely can take on a small amount of salary in any moves that do get made (because Sobotka and Hunwick effectively don't count against the cap).

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Pilut has been pulled out of the AHL All Star Game. 

He probably gets called back up Sunday or Monday 

I just don't get this. With all the extra D men why have him up? Why not have him playing down there until JBot unloads somebody?  It's not like he was playing better than the rest up here (apart from Bogo). And can anyone explain why JBot traded for Miller if all they do is have him sit out????

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I just don't get this. With all the extra D men why have him up? Why not have him playing down there until JBot unloads somebody?  It's not like he was playing better than the rest up here (apart from Bogo). And can anyone explain why JBot traded for Miller if all they do is have him sit out????

They probably want Pilut to play LD in the bottom 4.  There is room for him on the left side.

As for Miller, when Botterill acquired Miller, he probably didn’t know at the time that the opportunity to steal Jokiharju from Chicago would come up later, and maybe didn’t know that Jokiharju would be such a solid player right away.

1 hour ago, Curt said:

They probably want Pilut to play LD in the bottom 4.  There is room for him on the left side.

As for Miller, when Botterill acquired Miller, he probably didn’t know at the time that the opportunity to steal Jokiharju from Chicago would come up later, and maybe didn’t know that Jokiharju would be such a solid player right away.

They definitely didn't expect Jokiharju to be a regular from the get go this season.  And had Montour not been injured, Henri would've started the year in Ra-cha-cha.  He was given an opportunity and ran with it and now there is no way he goes back to the minors.  Good for him.

And also correct on Pilut.  Only 2 LHD's on the roster when he is in Ra-cha-cha.  And though he struggles to move guys in front of his own net, which is why IMHO he'll never be more than a 4/5 and also why he's a greater risk for injury, the rest of his game is exactly what Botterill, and seemingly Krueger, look for in a D-man.

Not sure why Miller is 7/8 on the depth chart.  Again, IMHO, on any given night he should be 5/6/7 and should be getting about 1/2-3/4 of the starts.  Bogosian should be the clear 8.

Ya, I get that Jokiharju surprised, but Miller seemed ok at the beginning of the year so I don't see the rush on Pilut. Bogo's terrible and McCabe has been off and on and is horrible some nights as well. I share the concern over Pilut's play in front of his own net. This is a weak area for us and he won't help solve it. He needs to be paired with a bigger body. Maybe Borgen's not ready, but I would look to develop pairs more than individuals on D. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.