Bogosian should be waived.

LGR4GM

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Now this idea ... I like. But that’s one expensive DJ. Plus he may injure his hands hitting play, pause, or that difficult to accomplish function, the switch tracks button.

Hey, Terry said he'd drill another well, that could pay for Bogo and his skillllz... As for the injuries, hmmm, cotton cloves? 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Gilmour is a decent hockey player on a cheap contract.  Bogo is a terrible hockey player on a worse contract.  No one is worried he'll be claimed.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

LOL it couldn't possibly be because they viewed Gilmour as he surprisingly effective utility 7D that he was while up here, and also noticed that post-surgery Bogosian is an abject nightmare on skates, could it? Nah, those people are too DUMB

Beauty was obviously in the eye of the beholder.  He's even less of an NHL D man than Bogo.

Gilmore represented the one thing this fanbase has clung to since we decided to lose on purpose, something different.  It was no more than that.  The idea that folks would riot over losing Gilmore and not over losing Bogo with nothing returned is silliness.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Beauty was obviously in the eye of the beholder.  He's even less of an NHL D man than Bogo.

Gilmore represented the one thing this fanbase has clung to since we decided to lose on purpose, something different.  It was no more than that.  The idea that folks would riot over losing Gilmore and not over losing Bogo with nothing returned is silliness.

I wasn't worried nor am I worried about losing either player.  

To me they are the bottom of our barrel on D.  Neither player should be in the NHL with this organization. Pilot and Borgen should be our 7th and 8th options.  I also rather have Nelson.

IMHO Bogo is the worst player in the Sabres.  He is a statue on the ice.  He is terrible defensively and adds no offense.  

My guess is he doesn’t get an NHL contract next season. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

45 minutes ago, Weave said:

Only if you ignore the contracts. Losing Bogosian to waivers would be a hugely positive development. Of course people aren't going to be upset. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Weave said:

The context of Gilmore is being forgotten. The fan base to me seemed less upset about the idea we could potentially lose a fringe D man than they were about why that was perceived to be the case: Botterill’s refusal to address his stockpile/ backlog of D men. 

Both these instances are more of a reflection of people’s dissatisfaction with the GM than the players themselves who, as stated, “are what they are” at this point. 

The GM and coach are actively harming our team by allowing Bogosian to dress. 

• Like (+1) 4

Bogo came back pretty good last year after the first surgery but I think this one didn't go as well. His physicality is off and his timing is off too. So his mind wants to do things but his body seems a step behind. More so then in the past. I think he is a broken player and nobody will trade for him and his contract. He will be lucky to get a try out from someone next year.

16 hours ago, SwampD said:

We lost 2-1 and people are blaming a Dman and want him waived.

Did I mention we scored one(1) goal.

Pretty stupid.

And wasn’t this just a thing?

So because 1 defender is clearly garbage, all defenders are garbage? That's your logic here and it's bad. 

McDonald's isn't good food, therefore no fastfood is good food. What a bad argument. 

Maybe I'm just sick of watching a terrible player in bogo cost this team games. A real franchise would stop letting him do that but here we are giving him 14+ minutes a night with Rasmus Dahlin no less. Waive his useless ass and send a message. You don't play well, you're gone. 

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

You waive an NHL defenseman who, while not very good, can play, the next thing you know you get two quick injuries and we are in big trouble. Just hang on to him, maybe some moron GM will give us a second round pick at deadline. Who knows! 

Guess we shouldn't have traded Scandella then. I mean we need that defensive depth. 

I'd be willing to say Borgen is a more useful defender than bogo. Also I love that in this scenario we need not 1 but 2 injuries to the right side before waiving him MIGHT look bad. 

Get him off this team. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So because 1 defender is clearly garbage, all defenders are garbage? That's your logic here and it's bad. 

McDonald's isn't good food, therefore no fastfood is good food. What a bad argument. 

Maybe I'm just sick of watching a terrible player in bogo cost this team games. A real franchise would stop letting him do that but here we are giving him 14+ minutes a night with Rasmus Dahlin no less. Waive his useless ass and send a message. You don't play well, you're gone. 

My point was he didn’t cost us the game. No one player can do that. I don’t even think he’s our worst defender (looking at you McCabe).

Defense takes all five guys. I’m tired of watching our D make the right play only to have one of our forwards wet themselves on the half wall.

Also, we really need some NHL forwards who can score. That would be really nice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Guess we shouldn't have traded Scandella then. I mean we need that defensive depth. 

I'd be willing to say Borgen is a more useful defender than bogo. Also I love that in this scenario we need not 1 but 2 injuries to the right side before waiving him MIGHT look bad. 

Get him off this team. 

If I thought his subtraction would’ve an addition, I’d be right there with you. I’m not there yet. Defensemen, even below average ones, are pretty valuable. Scandella was a subtraction that led to an addition. 

On 1/19/2020 at 6:02 AM, LGR4GM said:

It's been bad, it continues to be bad. Why the ***** is he getting ice time at all? Waive him and be done with it. 

I agree completely.

Bogosian was once a very good defenseman, in fact I recall Patrick Kane quoted as saying Bogo was the toughest match-up in the entire NHL defensively at one time.

Those are the keywords: At one time.

I always feel for athletes like Zach, the injuries really plagued his career. Even though im far from a pro athlete, I tore my quad tendon and I remember the emotional battles of the recovery, I can't imagine how that must be for an athlete at the very very top of the sport. And with how quickly the sport is evolving, that hasn't helped either.

I wish Zach well regardless, but the time has absolutely come to bid Bogo farewell.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I wish Zach well regardless, but the time has absolutely come to bid Bogo farewell.

And before the trade deadline OR on April 4th he will be gone.

I think the vast majority of fans know this, realize this, understand this to be true. Wishful thinking of waiving is nice and all ... but it’s just that ... wishful thinking.

Edited by Zamboni

22 hours ago, Weave said:

Buffalo fans (Bills and Sabres) love obsessing with the prospects and players with potential. It's all about what a player could become so you can't risk losing them. People know what BOGO is, he is not likely to change. Gilmore was something new that could potentially be something that people didn't want to risk losing out on. At one time McCabe was a player fans didn't want to lose, now he is being thrown around as trade bait.

• Like (+1) 3

16 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Buffalo fans (Bills and Sabres) love obsessing with the prospects and players with potential. It's all about what a player could become so you can't risk losing them. People know what BOGO is, he is not likely to change. Gilmore was something new that could potentially be something that people didn't want to risk losing out on. At one time McCabe was a player fans didn't want to lose, now he is being thrown around as trade bait.

Probably because he is older, we know what he is, and also with age comes a decrease in ability. 

On 1/20/2020 at 4:24 PM, apuszczalowski said:

At one time McCabe was a player fans didn't want to lose, now he is being thrown around as trade bait.

On 1/21/2020 at 8:28 AM, LGR4GM said:

Probably because he is older, we know what he is, and also with age comes a decrease in ability. 

Or because he is now Buffalo’s 5th/6th? best Dman.  In the past he was generally the 2nd/3rd best.  His position has been upgraded around him and he is having a rough season.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/20/2020 at 10:21 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

If I thought his subtraction would’ve an addition, I’d be right there with you. I’m not there yet. Defensemen, even below average ones, are pretty valuable. Scandella was a subtraction that led to an addition. 

Alright, so what is Bogo’s value then?

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Pretty sure that's correct.  So keep him in Buffalo until he can be traded (IF he can be traded) and give him his own dedicated seat in the press box.  Just stop playing him ahead of Miller.

I think it's questionable if Bogosian can fetch anything, right?  So assuming he cannot, why wouldn't the only option be to waive and bury the contract?   As the resident Capologist, is this scenario (waive/clear waivers/bury) not similar to what the Bruins just did with David Backes?   According to what I read on that move, they were able to save ~$1m on their Cap to free up deadline spending.  Unless he has any trade value whatsoever where you obtain an asset in return, and have the possibility to save more (example - they withhold half of his AAV in a trade, and recognize $2m instead of $1M), why is he not waived immediately?  

Edited by Broken Ankles

The appropriate question isn't whether Bogo is the 8th best defenseman (which of course he is), the question Kreuger has to ask himself is he among the 4th best penalty killers (which he is). What you'all are reacting to is Botterill's crazy structuring of the team. Look at the last year and a half, the defensive players brought in: Dahlen, Montour, Joki, Gilmore, Miller, and Pilut. How many of those guys should play on your PK? Zero. Since Risto plays 1 of the 2 PP slots and 1 of the 4 PK slots, you're good with one of Montour, Joki, 
Gilmor, Miller, and Pilut not needing to play a special team. During this time, out went a reasonable PK player in Scandella. 

Now I think Dahlen and Joki will get there in a few years, and Montour has pretty good numbers despite the ugly PK goal in Nashville this week and certainly known as an offensive player, and Miller has some really good stats, despite neither Kreuger (Miller is the Sabres' most protected player at even strength) nor Vegas willing to play him on the PK last year. 

So if Botterill has brought in even a couple replacement level PK players, I can see the hate in this thread, sure, replace Bogo with them. But, for me, Bogo and Pilut play different positions, and you can't replace one with the other.  You would think structuring a team this way would lead to a terrible PK, which is where the Sabres are.

Kreuger is trying to deal with his incompetent GM by playing 11-7, which gives Eichel too many minutes, leading to games like Nashville where they ran out of gas.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.