Jbot Do Something Already - Trade Deadline Edition - News Rumors and Trades

GASabresIUFAN

Trade Deadline Trades  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many trades will Jbot Complete Tomorrow

• More
  2. 2. Will He Make a blockbuster trade for a top 6 forward?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which players will be trade; Who will he acquire

• Out - Montour
    • Out - Risto
    • Out - Sheary
    • Out - ERod
    • Out - Other
    • In - Kapanen
    • In - Trocheck
    • In - Henrique
    • In - other

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

They only need to find one player to give this team a chance and show the players, especially Eichel, that management believes in them. One second line forward would be enough.

I don't think they have to "jeopardize the future" to accomplish that.

Perhaps.. but it might also be plausible that they get an offer for a player.. *cough* Ristolainen *cough* that would reduce their chances this season but set them up great for next season... in which case they go the other way.  

Hopefully it'll be an interesting time.  Sadly I am at our HQ in Little Rock on Monday.. I usually take a de facto sick day those days.. I planned poorly.

12 hours ago, LTS said:

Perhaps.. but it might also be plausible that they get an offer for a player.. *cough* Ristolainen *cough* that would reduce their chances this season but set them up great for next season... in which case they go the other way.  

Hopefully it'll be an interesting time.  Sadly I am at our HQ in Little Rock on Monday.. I usually take a de facto sick day those days.. I planned poorly.

Probably won't miss much. Deadline day has become much anticipation followed by the talk heads explaining why not much happened?

Trade deadline moves so far

1) Demote and suspend Bogosian - this removes him from the cap and creates much more wiggle room for Jbot at the deadline and also creates space for bonus payments this summer.  If I’m Jbot I’d terminate the deal.

2) Signed Leier to an NHL 2-Way deal.  This gives Jbot another forward with NHL experience he can recall if one or more of our UFA forwards are traded without messing with the prospects in Rochester.  Vets with on NHL contracts with NHL experience in Roch are Dea, Leier, Gilmour, Wilson, Nelson, Elie, and CJ Smith.

3) ????

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) Demote and suspend Bogosian - this removes him from the cap and creates much more wiggle room for Jbot at the deadline and also creates space for bonus payments this summer.  If I’m Jbot I’d terminate the deal.

2) Signed Leier to an NHL 2-Way deal.  This gives Jbot another forward with NHL experience he can recall if one or more of our UFA forwards are traded without messing with the prospects in Rochester.  Vets with on NHL contracts with NHL experience in Roch are Dea, Leier, Gilmour, Wilson, Nelson, Elie, and CJ Smith.

3) ????

How much cap relief are we getting from Bogo right now? How much if he does report?

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

3) ????

I think Botts is done.  Maybe Frolik for a 2025 6th round pick.

14 minutes ago, WildCard said:

How much cap relief are we getting from Bogo right now? How much if he does report?

His whole cap, 5.142, is gone, like Berglund’s. However if he does report or is loaned out we’ll be hit with all but 1.1 mill of his cap on an annualized basis.  
According to Capfriendly’s daily tracker we have already absorbed 3.8 mill of his 5.142 cap hit for the season.  I don’t know how the 1.1 in cap savings is allocated this late in the year.  

They also state with Bogo gone on our LTIR remaining was have about 7.4 in annualized cap hit available for the deadline.  So in English we could acquire someone with a $5 cap hit without shedding a player other then for the roster slot.  This would allow us, for example, to acquire someone like Vinny Trocheck from Florida for picks/prospects.  

Would you send Montour to Fla for Trocheck?  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

His whole cap is gone, like Berglund’s. However if he does report or is loaned out we’ll be hit with all but 1.1 mill of his cap on an annualized basis.  
According to Capfriendly’s daily tracker we have already absorbed 3.8 mill of his 5.142 cap hit for the season.  

They also state with Bogo gone on our LTIR remaining was have about 7.4 in annualized cap hit available for the deadline.  So in English we could acquire someone with a $5 cap hit without shedding a player other then for the roster slot.  This would allow us, for example, to acquire someone like Vinny Trocheck from Florida for picks/prospects.  

I don't think Trocheck is going to get back to what he once was, so no for me. I don't know what happened to him but it looks like he got hurt and isn't the same anymore?

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

I don't think Trocheck is going to get back to what he once was, so no for me. I don't know what happened to him but it looks like he got hurt and isn't the same anymore?

He is still at a 52 pt pace which is on par with his 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons. His goal scoring is definitely down, but his assists are up.  Considering we need someone to feed Skinner, I’m not sure this is a bad thing.  Maybe Montour is to much, but what about McCabe and a pick/prospect? 

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is still at a 52 pt pace which is on par with his 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons. His goal scoring is definitely down, but his assists are up.  Considering we need someone to feed Skinner, I’m not sure this is a bad thing.  Maybe Montour is to much, but what about McCabe and a pick/prospect? 

The supposed issue with Trocheck is not his goal scoring or point totals. 

Florida fans view his "selfish play" and "more turnovers than I ever knew a player was capable of" as a major problem keeping their season from being more successful and want him gone for it

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd ship McCabe+ out for him. Trocheck's possession numbers still look very good, and you're right his goals have just gone down. I don't know enough about Florida or what they want so I can't pretend I'd know for sure, but looking at their roster I really doubt they're going to open a hole at 2C for our defensemen. They'd have to fill that from somewhere first, either internally which idk if they can or we'd have to send them someone to do it, and we clearly don't have that 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Florida fans view his "selfish play" and "more turnovers than I ever knew a player was capable of" as a major problem keeping their season from being more successful and want him gone for it

Might be why his ATOI has gone down the last couple seasons

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I went and looked as his giveaways and takeaways and honestly they aren’t that bad 61/47.  Huberdeau also has 61 and Ekblad 60.  Jack is 58/40.  Dahlin in next at 33.  Compared to Florida we do a much better job of holding on to the puck looking at the giveaway stats. 

This sounds to me like the Fla fans are expecting their 50 pts 2C to have another 70 pt season.  That’s clearly not what he is. 

36 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I went and looked as his giveaways and takeaways and honestly they aren’t that bad 61/47.  Huberdeau also has 61 and Ekblad 60.  Jack is 58/40.  Dahlin in next at 33.  Compared to Florida we do a much better job of holding on to the puck looking at the giveaway stats. 

This sounds to me like the Fla fans are expecting their 50 pts 2C to have another 70 pt season.  That’s clearly not what he is. 

Giveaways and takeaways are useless stats, and are counted differently in different buildings, and as a result have no real correlation with anything. Especially giveaways. You can find a dozen instances in a single game for any given player that are completely ambiguous as to whether they should constitute a giveaway, a takeaway, both, or neither, and people have different interpretations of every single one of them. Pile that up over time and you get completely useless stats that predict and describe nothing with any correlation 

The bold is incredibly dismissive of Panthers fans. They are uniform and articulate in their disdain for the player, and it's not just "hur dur he dont score points"

I'd trust their takes infinitely over a Sabres fan, who hasn't watched Trocheck, using simple G/A/PTS and GV/TA to dismiss a topic that's obviously way deeper than these things 

Edited by Randall Flagg

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Giveaways and takeaways are useless stats, and are counted differently in different buildings, and as a result have no real correlation with anything. Especially giveaways. 

The bold is incredibly dismissive of Panthers fans. They are uniform and articulate in their disdain for the player, and it's not just "hur dur he dont score points"

I'd trust their takes infinitely over a Sabres fan, who hasn't watched Trocheck, using simple G/A/PTS and GV/TA to dismiss a topic that's obviously way deeper than these things 

Are you willing to make a move for him if it’s say McCabe plus?

Initial Panthers fans reactions for the news that he's being shopped:
"Hes a lot worse than most think" (another panthers fan quoted this with a "shhhhhhhhhh")
"YESSSSSSS"
"Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out."

"holy ****, have you seen him this season? He’s an abomination. I’ve never seen someone turn the puck over so consistently."
His game has really fallen off that much? -> "Since well before his ankle injury vs the Sens. You are just paying for the name.... ... moving him helps Florida"
"trust me though, you don’t want Trocheck. This guy is a polar opposite from the player he was a few years ago."
"He peaked playing with Reilly Smith.

since then he’s been good to invisible to negatively impacting the team. He needs a chance of scenery.

he was on the decline before his injury but he looks slower since it. He used to have a great shot, that seems to have disappeared.

major negatives are compete level and making stupid plays"
"Trocheck has had a weird career. When he first came into the league, we expected him to be a top 9 winger. He took advantage of Bjugstad's injuries and took the 2C spot. When Barkov went down a few years ago, he was amazing. Played the 200 ft game, carried the play offensively...He was rightfully considered a 1bC in the mold of Duchene and O'Reilly. Unfortunately, his defensive play has dropped every season for the past three years. I think many thought his huge 17-18 was gonna be his career high.

The thing is that Tro always looked like a player whose wheels were gonna fall off at age 30. Very intense, athletic game where he did it all himself and didn't use his brain or his teammates. He's nearly 27 now, which means he should still have something left in the tank, but we're Florida, and players tend to look better when they aren't with us.
What is he now you might ask? He's playing like a useless middle 6 C you'd find on a bottom feeder. His biggest problem is that he doesn't play like a center. He doesn't use his wingers, doesn't facilitate play, doesn't play great D anymore...

Maybe he'll find success somewhere as a RW to a great C like Eichel. Until then, I don't even know what the ask should be, because without him we have absolutely no Centers, and our D is already log jammed to high hell."

"Oh god please. Get him out of here now. Build a whole new center core."

A less doom and gloom take: 

"He's not as bad as most of them say, he's a low-end number two at the moment that showed he could be better. The main issue with Trocheck is that we've seen him play good responsible defensive hockey and he hasn't done any of that these past 3/4 years."
"Sorry but this is a generous opinion of Tro.

He makes mistakes all the time that leads to chances against and goals against. He’s part of our poor team defense.

His controller got disconnected on a goal tonight leaving the NHL leading scorer untouched. He did the same thing a few games ago. Our d men may not be the best but our forwards don’t pull their weight either. And how often does he make dumb plays in the neutral zone that leads to turnovers bc he plays likes he’s a showboater in a beer league. His one same move of trying to go wide in the o zone was effective when he had speed and could shoot. He has 8 goals, that’s not good enough. Another issue is he never makes his linemates better and it’s always been a struggle for him to find chemistry on his line.

Tonight he barely fought for the puck, when the play doesn’t go his way he give up, but always has the energy to argue with the refs.

He’s also a core piece that would shake things up if he’s moved. It’s a losing culture in Florida and he’s part of it with his lackluster effort."
"That just goes to show you what crap analytics is sometimes. Trocheck is a steaming pile of dog turd. The only thing he's driving towards is a career in Hollywood with his elite post game media scrums ."

"It has nothing to do with bad luck. 
He's just not a very smart player and hasn't been able to adapt his play once other teams figured him out."

Random comments from the Panthers' own forum:
I am not celebrating that goal by Trocheck. Get off my team.

Trocheck didn't deserve that. (goal)
Oh look at that Trocheck takes it up turns it over and the opposing team gets a shot on goal.
Nice drop pass to the other team by Trocheck
Malgin and Trocheck need to be catapulted to outer space
"We have to get rid of Trocheck. I know him and Huby are buddies but he's just not what he use to be. Constantly killing offensive opportunities with poor passes, no gritty edge like he once bad and even his shot is much weaker."
"Vincent Trocheck needs to be the first to go along with the defense. Boneheaded, clumsy, brings absolutely nothing to our lineup. Leaves so much to be desired as a 2C.

No other player in the NHL would have f*ck uped that empty netter against the Isles in game 6, yet Trocheck pulled off the near impossible and got us eliminated."
"Trocheck is a net negative to this team."
"Holy ****, if nobody wants to trade for Trocheck just cut his ass."
"Trocheck is a shell of his former self. Sure his stats look good but he does little on the ice to actually help this team. His defense is hit or miss and he is such a black hole defensively, not seeing him skate down the ice by himself only to lose the puck our shoot it 10 feet wide would be a breath of fresh air."
"Trocheck has fallen so hard so fast. Use to be a great asset just a calendar year ago or so"
"Trocheck has 8 goals and sucks at everything he touches."
"I love Trocheck but may be time to move on. It’s unfortunate that injury derailed his career trajectory.

it’s tough because I don’t think his value is anywhere near where it could/should be."

"I cant name one thing Trocheck contributes anymore.

And dont say leadership cause that doesnt exist on this team at the moment."
"Trocheck PATHETIC on that Draisaitl goal. A ****ing lazy, piece of **** scrub. I’m done with him."
"Why is Trocheck on this team? My god get rid of him. Looks good for one week and sucks every other one."
"Dadonov, Hoffman, Trocheck would be my top 3 guys to move. They're all talented, they are all the sort of players that other teams will see value in, and none of them are helping us win right now.

Don't really care what we get in return, to be honest. As I mentioned in the GDT, I think I would be perfectly happy if the Panthers called up some AHL boys and told them to just go out there and play their ***** off and enjoy being in the NHL for 25 games. I'd rather watch fringe guys who care than supremely talented losers."
"I really don't like Trocheck. Like, not at all"
"Trocheck is a loser."
"Trocheck is worthless now."
"Trocheck is such a loser. Getting rid of him will be great."
"trocheck????? of all ppl? no f'ing way?

the fact that is only his 7th goal of the year tells a lot about what we expect from trocheck anymore"

So, this is obviously a lot more than just fans being mad that he doesn't score as many points as he used to. Keep in mind that this is a SAMPLE of posts, from their own board, and so it's not like they are funneled into a main board thread to talk trash like in the first batch of quotes in this post. This is the day to day conversation about the guy from people who have watched every single shift of his over the last 4 years. 

I'm not saying we have to buy in and agree that he is this awful, and he does have a few defenders on their boards, but there are far fewer than I expected, and they mostly are just of the "come on guys, he's injured and still has points" variety, few are willing to say his shift-in-and-shift-out game is good and/or helpful.

This also doesn't mean I wouldn't trade for him - people don't just give away currently-great 2Cs, so any guy we get will be a dice roll hoping for development, or repair. Trocheck would be a prototypical change of scenery guy, and if we get him, I'd have hope that Krueger and a new team in a hockey city could be just what he needs.

But the sheer volume of raw disdain for this player is not something to be dismissed out of hand, as if they only want him to score moar points. There's something wrong with Trocheck and has been for a while, and he is not helping the Panthers with their problems, and may well be a cause of some of their problems. 

• Like (+1) 1

Prices so far on the completed trades seem very high. According to guys like Kevin Allen (USAToday) Toffoli was supposed to be only worth a 2nd rd pick, but went for a depth forward, a good prospect and a 2nd.  

Would you be ok if Jbot trades Risto now if he gets a big ransom and then uses those assets this summer to get a 2C?  Say a 1st in 2020, a Top 9 forward and a good forward prospect? For example Risto to Tor for a 1st, Bracco and Kapanen.

@Randall Flagg As to Trocheck, the selfish play comments do give me pause, but it sounds like he may be in the wrong system there.  His increased assists of which 2/3 are primary indicates to me that he is creating offense and might be a fit with Skinner.  I think Fla figures Acciari can play 2C if Trocheck is traded.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Prices so far on the completed trades seem very high. According to guys like Kevin Allen (USAToday) Toffoli was supposed to be only worth a 2nd rd pick, but went for a depth forward, a good prospect and a 2nd.  

Would you be ok if Jbot trades Risto now if he gets a big ransom and then uses those assets this summer to get a 2C?  Say a 1st in 2020, a Top 9 forward and a good forward prospect? For example Risto to Tor for a 1st, Bracco and Kapanen.

@Randall Flagg As to Trocheck, the selfish play comments do give me pause, but it sounds like he may be in the wrong system there.  His increased assists of which 2/3 are primary indicates to me that he is creating offense and might be a fit with Skinner.  I think Fla figures Acciari can play 2C if Trocheck is traded.  

That's where I am too, because I really liked Vince up until this news came out (that teams were calling about him). I was full-bore on go and get him for whatever it takes, but now it's more cautious and measured. If we do get him at some point I'm definitely gonna watch a lot of games and put something together

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Randall Flagg As to Trocheck, the selfish play comments do give me pause, but it sounds like he may be in the wrong system there.  His increased assists of which 2/3 are primary indicates to me that he is creating offense and might be a fit with Skinner.  I think Fla figures Acciari can play 2C if Trocheck is traded

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

That's where I am too, because I really liked Vince up until this news came out (that teams were calling about him). I was full-bore on go and get him for whatever it takes, but now it's more cautious and measured. If we do get him at some point I'm definitely gonna watch a lot of games and put something together

Trochek has had an extremely low SH% last year and this year.  Well below average and below his career SH%.  I don’t know what’s up with that, but it is interesting.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

….

No.  In two more seasons Trocheck is done and Montour has miles on him as a Top 4. 

Do not force a trade for a C3 with limited upside. 

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

IMO Montour is for Sabres fans what Lydman was for my dad

fine, not spectacular, for long stretches on a good team, plays similarly on a bad team and it makes people fed up, then he gets traded to a better team and is viewed as fine if not spectacular again

100%