Jbot Do Something Already - Trade Deadline Edition - News Rumors and Trades

GASabresIUFAN

Trade Deadline Trades  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many trades will Jbot Complete Tomorrow

• More
  2. 2. Will He Make a blockbuster trade for a top 6 forward?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which players will be trade; Who will he acquire

• Out - Montour
    • Out - Risto
    • Out - Sheary
    • Out - ERod
    • Out - Other
    • In - Kapanen
    • In - Trocheck
    • In - Henrique
    • In - other

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Interesting stats from a couple of Athletic articles.

1.  They asked agents for 2 teams their clients want on their NTC lists

Wpg (12), Ott (11), Edm (7), BUF (4), CBJ (2), Mon (2), Car (1), Min (1), NJ (1), NYR (1), SJ (1) and Tor (1).

I’m surprised on how the low our number is given bad team, bad weather, and high taxes. I’d have thought we’d be up there with Ott.

2. Future of Sabres UFAs

Since 2013-14 - 32 Sabres UFAs never played in the NHL again. Not sure how well that bodes for Vesey, Sheary, Frolik, Larsson, Sobotka, Hunwick, Bogo, Girgensons and even Erod, but I wouldn’t be holding out for a big contract by any of them. If any of these gentlemen, except maybe Larsson, get more then a 1 year deal for next fall I’d be surprised.  Hunwick and Sobotka are almost certainly done in the NHL. Erod likely ends up on a 2 way deal somewhere.  I think the rest get 1 year prove it deals including Girgensons.  Depending on how things go, I can see Larsson getting a 2 year deal from us or someone else.  

I think Larsson is one of the few Sabres who could be moved at the trade deadline.  I.E., he represents value to the right sort of team.  Don't think he'd get more than a 1 year deal though.

1 hour ago, Kruppstahl said:

I think Larsson is one of the few Sabres who could be moved at the trade deadline.  I.E., he represents value to the right sort of team.  Don't think he'd get more than a 1 year deal though.

Right now I think you have to try to move all the UFAs cause the only ones coming back are the ones nobody else wants or the ones we would grossly overpay (which would be ridiculous but not beyond JBot to do). Eat salary, package them up, take anything, whatever, just move 'em all out. Along with any number of the rest. 

I just don't care any more. Let 'em all go. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

FYI any sales are going to have to be accompanied by some buys as well.

if we move on from some of these UFA forwards,  we can’t replace them easily from Rochester.  We need the Amerks and kids like Asplund and Mitts to stay there and play winning hockey. Bringing them to Buffalo does nothing.  I guess Elie or Wilson could be recalled for depth but we need to bring some warm bodies back 

https://theathletic.com/1586508/2020/02/06/a-look-at-some-of-the-sabres-ideal-trade-targets-heading-into-the-deadline/

Trade targets for the Sabres

1. Dylan Strome - Chicago - Past first guy (RFA), but losing 2C job there to Kirby Dach.  Can also play wing.   Good pair for Skinner.

2. Cirelli - TB - Not happening now, but in the off season?

3. Tomas Hertl - SJ - Injured now - Changes coming to SJ and Hertl has 2 years left on his deal at 5.625.  MTC kicks in in July but he can only avoid 3 teams. 

4. Kapanen - TOR - 2 years left at 3.2 and immediately be our 2RW.

5. Gallagher - MON - Leader and goal scorer.  Doubt he is available.

6. Laine - WPG - I year left at 6.75.  Expensive trade for us. 

7. Kase - Ana - 2.6 next year then RFA. Only 24.  Not quite as effective since shoulder injury

8. Arvidsson - Nsh - Only 26, but new system in Nashville might not be best for him.

IMHO the top 4 interest me.  Hertl would be perfect if healthy and if available.  I don't mind Strome idea, but he is lacking in the FO circle.  Kapanen would also help significantly.  It all comes down to cost, and availability.  

Jbot is going to have to do something to send a positive message.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, WildCard said:

How is Cirelli not at the top of your list Flagg?

I think Gallagher is one of the top 3 ideal RW fits for Jack Eichel in the entire league and have thought that for a while.

I know Hertl just had a bad injury but IMO the guy can be the second most talented player on our cup winning team

And then Cirelli because I still like him but haven't watched a lot this year, and most of my interest in him is banking on development from what I view as a very strong foundation, whereas the first two are sure-things already

I'd have Hertl above Gallagher if he hadn't just blown up his knee

24 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://theathletic.com/1586508/2020/02/06/a-look-at-some-of-the-sabres-ideal-trade-targets-heading-into-the-deadline/

1. Dylan Strome - Chicago - Past first guy (RFA), but losing 2C job there to Kirby Dach.  Can also play wing.   Good pair for Skinner.

3. Tomas Hertl - SJ - Injured now - Changes coming to SJ and Hertl has 2 years left on his deal at 5.625.  MTC kicks in in July but he can only avoid 3 teams. 

7. Kase - Ana - 2.6 next year then RFA. Only 24.  Not quite as effective since shoulder injury

8. Arvidsson - Nsh - Only 26, but new system in Nashville might not be best for him.

IMHO the top 4 interest me.  Hertl would be perfect if healthy and if available.  I don't mind Strome idea, but he is lacking in the FO circle.  Kapanen would also help significantly.  It all comes down to cost, and availability.  

Most of these moves would probably be draft day/early summer  moves with the exception of Hertl and Kase. 

Hertl actually has a 28 NTC Team List starting 7/1.

Kase wouldn’t be as expensive as the others.

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 1

Not sure where to put this and it doesn’t deserve its own thread.

Figured here works, since it was presented in the context of an Athletic article about Sabres UFAs on the eve of the deadline.

“ Since 2013-14, there have been 32 Sabres who never saw NHL rinks again after their contract expired. Players such as Andrej Meszaros, Benoit Pouliot, Victor Antipin, Jacob Josefson, Matt D’Agostini and Linus Omark.”

Dont expect much return for our guys. Scandella was probably the best trade chip of the lot and he got a 4th.

Edited by dudacek

31 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Figured here works, since it was presented in the context of an Athletic article about Sabres UFAs on the eve of the deadline.

“ Since 2013-14, there have been 32 Sabres who never saw NHL rinks again after their contract expired. Players such as Andrej Meszaros, Benoit Pouliot, Victor Antipin, Jacob Josefson, Matt D’Agostini and Linus Omark.”

Dont expect much return for our guys. Scandella was probably the best trade trip of the lot and he got a 4th.

It is almost like a disease.  

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Dont expect much return for our guys. Scandella was probably the best trade chip of the lot and he got a 4th.

I posted the stat up thread.

The more I think about what he should do is make at least one strong move.  Get a Strome or some other center, even if it costs a Risto or Montour.  

Trade at least two UFA wingers for as much as you can get.  We are down two thirds.  Even if we don’t get 3rds back at least we can replace picks volume wise.

I also love to see Kapanen acquired, but Bracco maybe more realistic.

4 hours ago, 3putt said:

It is almost like a disease.  

"Welcome to NHL Tonight folks, where tonights pre-game "a team in focus" story is sure to be watched league wide. Players around the league are on high alert right now, with many of them running scared with the trade deadline nearly 2 weeks away. Fear has gripped those suspicious of being on the trade block, fear of being traded to the Buffalo Sabres, where enough data has now been collected to confirm the existence of the often speculated on Buffalost Virus, a disease which is running a currently unconfirmed 33% hockey player career mortality rate.

Currently, the R&D personnel at the now famous Sabrespace Laboratories are continuing to crunch the numbers but have confirmed 32 fatalities to date. I spoke with 2 players this evening prior to the game Pierre, they are in full panic mode as they were both found hiding in the showers in the fetal positions in attempts to avoid contact with their GM's. This is an ongoing NHLPA emergency and we'll keep ya posted. Back to the rink."

? 

I went and looked at last year’s trade deadline and it’s going to be hard to determine a value for any of our guys.

The trades were all over the place.  Ben Lovejoy went for a player and a 3rd.  Seriously. 
Zucarello and Nyquist went for 2nd and 3rd with MoJo a 2nd and 4th.

A marginal D named Fantenberg went for a 4th, while Baloo went for a 6th.

Most deals involved multiple players and picks for roster and cap reasons, but there were many one for one deals like Nic Petan for Lindholm in a change of scenery deal.

The most interesting deal last season was Gudbranson (2 years left at 4.0) for Tanner Pearson (2 years left at 3.75).  Gubranson was traded this year by the Pens in a straight cap dump for a AHL forward and a 7th.

If an overpaid stay at home D in Gudbranson can get a Tanner Pearson what can Risto get?  What about McCabes’ value with one year left at a reasonable cost? Maybe Jbot can work a solid deal with a team desperate for D as the Pens were last season.

The teams desperate for D are Wpg and Tor.  Also Pit and TB could also be on the lookout for D both short and long-term. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

https://theathletic.com/1596457/2020/02/10/sabres-trade-tiers-whos-the-most-likely-to-go-whos-untouchable/

Here is Yerdon's take on how he views the Sabres and who should and shouldn't be available for trade.

He list a series of categories

1) Untouchables - Jack, Dahlin, Cozens and UPL 

2) "I think We should See Other People" - Translate send packing at any price - Bogo and Erod.  Bogo isn't going anywhere IMHO.

3) "Let's get Seismic" - Translation - It would have to be a huge offer - Reinhart and Risto.  I don't think Reinhart is going to get moved at any price, but Jbot, because of our depth should listen for Risto.  I think he gets moved to get us the 2C we so desperately need to get any value from Skinner.

4) "Don't Sing it - Bring It" - Translation - Young good players who still can be upgraded - Jokiharju and VO.  I list both as nearly untouchable, especially as Joker is cost controlled for a few more years.

5) Hockey Trade Candidates - Miller, McCabe, Montour and MoJo - Agree on all 4 counts.  Listen to the offers and see if any of them lead to an upgrade or two upfront. 

6) The Expendables - Frolik, Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons, Larsson, Wilson, Nelson, Gilmour and Lazar - I agree on all except Lazar.  He is cheap to retain and gives us as much if not more then Larsson.  He is also younger and can win a FO.  Only issue is who takes their roster slot.  I'm not really interested in raiding the Amerks.

7) Unlikely to Trade - RFAs - Pilut, Ullmark, Thompson and MItts.  Obviously, but I think Mitts could go as part of the right 2C deal.

8.) Unlikely to Move for obvious reasons - Hutton, Skinner, KO, Sobotka, Hunwick and our 1st and 2nd rd picks.  Don't agree 100% as to KO.  KO could go in a swap of bad contracts.

Athletic List of Trade Targets - https://theathletic.com/1598173/2020/02/11/nhl-trade-big-board-2-0-23-players-who-could-move-before-the-deadline/

Kreider, Pageau, Martinez, Toffoli, Vatanen, Brodin (really?), Dillon, Kovie, Hoffman, Mikael Granlund, Josh Anderson (CBJ), Georgiev (NYR-G), Athanasiou, Haula, Manson, Kapanen, Petry, Vesey (also Sheary), Crawford (CHi-G), Pujujarvi, DeMelo (Ott-D), Greene (NJ-D), and Thornton.

I also think Galchenyuk will be on the move again.  No reason for Minn to keep him unless they want to give him a tryout with an eye to re-signing him.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:32 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

never thought of Strome...think thats an interesting target for them

Strome isn’t a target I’m too fond of. Never was a good skater, hurt his leg this year and is noticeably slower. He has yet to have a single good NHL season. (He was good in Chicago when paired with the equally hot Debrincat who has also fell off a cliff this season.)

Gallagher, if he were a UFA I’d overpay to get him since he’s the type of player we lack. A no nonsense guy who plays hard every shift. While still having high skill and hockey IQ.

I liked Hertl until his knee decided to get out of this season regardless of its human’s desire. Now I fear he’ll be a shell of his former self.

Always will love Kapanen but I will never be willing to help Toronto in any circumstance. Even if it were too raise both of our boats, I’d rather be a sub with them taking on water.

Laine is a great player but not worth gutting our team for. I doubt Eichel + Laine and Dahlin accomplish anymore than our present group.

Kase or Arvidsson would be nice depending on the ask.

Cirelli is pie in the sky