Jbot Do Something Already - Trade Deadline Edition - News Rumors and Trades

GASabresIUFAN

Trade Deadline Trades  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many trades will Jbot Complete Tomorrow

• More
  2. 2. Will He Make a blockbuster trade for a top 6 forward?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which players will be trade; Who will he acquire

• Out - Montour
    • Out - Risto
    • Out - Sheary
    • Out - ERod
    • Out - Other
    • In - Kapanen
    • In - Trocheck
    • In - Henrique
    • In - other

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Would you trade Risto or Montour plus Mattias Samuelsson (and a sweetner if needed like a 3rd round pick) to Tampa for Cirelli and whatever cap dump they need to make it work (let's say Palat)?

I would fly to Tampa to help him pack 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From LeBrun and the Athletic 

It appears that any D Man besides Dahlin and Jokiharju are available 

8E9BA570-1188-4748-945C-B96F9CDA273A.jpeg

Seems like the most sensible course of action now that Botterill proved unable to make the needed deal 20 games ago.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Well we're also so desperate for that forward; Cirelli probably means more to us than he does to them. 

Unless they move someone on a NMC, they can't sign him. I suppose he could hold out or get a bridge deal of a year or 2. They have to sign sergachev this summer as well. Will be interesting to see. They can do it but Tampa will have to get creative to keep him. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sure but TB won’t even think about that deal until the off-season.  TB also has the issue is that guys like Palat and others there have NMCs.

Which is fine by me. Offseason deals are usually when you get guys with term, and that's what we need.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Unless they move someone on a NMC, they can't sign him. I suppose he could hold out or get a bridge deal of a year or 2. They have to sign sergachev this summer as well. Will be interesting to see. They can do it but Tampa will have to get creative to keep him. 

Hmmm I didn't realize all that. Good thing we have a ton of FAs and cap space next year...

5 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Which is fine by me. Offseason deals are usually when you get guys with term, and that's what we need.

Hmmm I didn't realize all that. Good thing we have a ton of FAs and cap space next year...

Oh yea. They got a lot of decisions to make. They have a projected 8million in cap space for next season. You can add another million or so for the cap going up but still, Sergachev and Cirelli both signing for only 4ish million seems unlikely. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

TampaSalary2020.thumb.PNG.cd43f5611c1d4d56a230440401c7d340.PNG

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Would you trade Risto or Montour plus Mattias Samuelsson (and a sweetner if needed like a 3rd round pick) to Tampa for Cirelli and whatever cap dump they need to make it work (let's say Palat)?

Yes!  He would go so far towards helping this team.  I think he is a star in the making, and I don’t even think that’s a hot take.  

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I would trade Montour for that in a heartbeat. I’m not convinced he’ll get a better contract than Risto not that he’s a better player than Risto. Probably would trade either though. 

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But it’s going to take a huge offer to get Montour or Risto.  

You don’t give up a blossoming young player under a favorable contract unless you are getting similar value back

Absolutely correct.  But to get that 2C the Sabres need now AND next year, one of those 2 have to be made available to make a deal work.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is the sort of deal that would require one of Montour or Ristolainen and the sort Botterill should absolutely make if he can.

And the great thing about trading for, say, Cirelli is he's young and plays a 2 way game and slides to 3C easily/readily whenz/should Mittelstadt or Cozens mature into the 2C role.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scandella for Frolik was trade 1&2 technically.

So when does the next deal get done? 

Who is next to go? 

Sabretooth may very well be on the Trade Block. If we could swing a deal for Gritty we'd at least have some snarl in the arena on game nights........https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/01/22/philadelphia-flyers-mascot-gritty-punch-fan-police-investigation/

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Haha (+1) 1

Here is a decent Primer for all 31 teams from ESPN

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28592939/nhl-trade-deadline-preview-possible-moves-latest-rumors-watch-all-31-teams

What to watch: After acquiring Michael Frolik from the Flames in January, GM Jason Botterill has been in the hunt for even more help at the forward spot. He has also had to deal with players who have asked out from the Sabres: Forward Evan Rodrigues, a pending restricted free agent, and pending unrestricted free-agent defenseman Zach Bogosian have reportedly both asked for trades. The Sabres have a 7% chance of making the playoffs and have 16 free agents (restricted and unrestricted) this summer. Buckle up.

Notes/restrictions:

Our take: This is Botterill's third season in Buffalo, though it seems longer than that, doesn't it? It'll be interesting to see how he maneuvers at the deadline, considering there's no telling what his future with the team could be if the Sabres miss the playoffs again. Does Kim Pegula add a president of hockey operations above him? Does the team make a change at GM? This is an important deadline for the Sabres ahead of an absolutely critical summer in which they have only 10 players under contract for next season.

Player’s allegedly on the Block

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/top-30-players-to-watch-approaching-the-2020-nhl-trade-deadline

Two of interest to me from this article.

3. JEAN-GABRIEL PAGEAU, C, SENATORS

Cap hit: $3.1 million
Years left: UFA
Clauses: None

At what point does he play his way into Ottawa’s future plans? At the same time, the two-way threat and penalty-killing dynamo will never be more valuable than he is right now. It’s not inconceivable he fetches a first-round pick.

Having his best season since 2015-16 and a buying high candidate, but we need scoring centers, 2 way play, players in their prime and who can kill penalties.  

29. JEREMY BRACCO, RW, MAPLE LEAFS

Cap hit: $843 K
Years left: RFA
Clauses: None

He has little left to prove in the AHL but, because his skill set is purely offense-oriented, he can’t crack Toronto’s lineup, as the scoring lines are occupied and he doesn’t work in a checking assignment. Bracco is an obvious trade candidate.

A nice goal scoring RW who can’t crack Toronto’s lineup.  Seems like a good buy low trade.

Here is another list of 25 from Sportsnet.ca

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/20-nhl-trade-candidates-youll-hear-deadline/

Nick Bonino, Nashville Predators
The Predators may sell some players off, but how deep will it go? Bonino will be a great indicator. He’s having a terrific season (his 57.17 SF% at 5-on-5 is top 20 in the league) and is signed for another season at $4.1 million. He’s Nashville’s top penalty killer, wins 54.1 per cent of his draws, has plenty of playoff experience and brings a good amount of offence, on pace for over 20 goals. He’s a perfect third line centre for a contender, but the cost of acquisition should also be relatively high for his placement in the lineup.

Like Pageau, but a little older, more playoff experience and has another year on his contract.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Interesting stats from a couple of Athletic articles.

1.  They asked agents for 2 teams their clients want on their NTC lists

Wpg (12), Ott (11), Edm (7), BUF (4), CBJ (2), Mon (2), Car (1), Min (1), NJ (1), NYR (1), SJ (1) and Tor (1).

I’m surprised on how the low our number is given bad team, bad weather, and high taxes. I’d have thought we’d be up there with Ott.

2. Future of Sabres UFAs

Since 2013-14 - 32 Sabres UFAs never played in the NHL again. Not sure how well that bodes for Vesey, Sheary, Frolik, Larsson, Sobotka, Hunwick, Bogo, Girgensons and even Erod, but I wouldn’t be holding out for a big contract by any of them. If any of these gentlemen, except maybe Larsson, get more then a 1 year deal for next fall I’d be surprised.  Hunwick and Sobotka are almost certainly done in the NHL. Erod likely ends up on a 2 way deal somewhere.  I think the rest get 1 year prove it deals including Girgensons.  Depending on how things go, I can see Larsson getting a 2 year deal from us or someone else.