Jbot Do Something Already - Trade Deadline Edition - News Rumors and Trades

GASabresIUFAN

Trade Deadline Trades  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many trades will Jbot Complete Tomorrow

• More
  2. 2. Will He Make a blockbuster trade for a top 6 forward?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which players will be trade; Who will he acquire

• Out - Montour
    • Out - Risto
    • Out - Sheary
    • Out - ERod
    • Out - Other
    • In - Kapanen
    • In - Trocheck
    • In - Henrique
    • In - other

Are we buyers or sellers?  ?

Sellers market right now.  Some names are popping up that make for good hockey trades, and either acquiring cap dumps or hockey trade is what Botterill has shown us he can do.

I think the big kicker is what to do with Larsson/Girgensons/Vesey?  If we want to win we need to keep at least the first two, preferably all three.  But their rental value won't be any higher.  Larsson ought to fetch a 1st+B prospect

The Sabres would be foolish to make a trade that jeopardized success in the future for a minor chance at success this year.  It's a tough decision, but this team is not built for a deep playoff run.  

58 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Are we buyers or sellers?  ?

Sellers market right now.  Some names are popping up that make for good hockey trades, and either acquiring cap dumps or hockey trade is what Botterill has shown us he can do.

I think the big kicker is what to do with Larsson/Girgensons/Vesey?  If we want to win we need to keep at least the first two, preferably all three.  But their rental value won't be any higher.  Larsson ought to fetch a 1st+B prospect

The last 2 trades (Zucker to Pitt and Coleman to Tampa) prove it's only a sellers market for players with term. Teams are moving away from the high priced rentals the league saw a few years ago. So no, it's not really a sellers market in the pure UFA sense of the meaning imo.

35 minutes ago, LTS said:

The Sabres would be foolish to make a trade that jeopardized success in the future for a minor chance at success this year.  It's a tough decision, but this team is not built for a deep playoff run.  

They only need to find one player to give this team a chance and show the players, especially Eichel, that management believes in them. One second line forward would be enough.

I don't think they have to "jeopardize the future" to accomplish that.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/16/buffalo-sabres-jason-botterill-nhl-mike-harrington-column-opinion-news-2020/

I agree with Harrington in general terms.  I've been screaming at Jbot since Berglund walked to make a deal to support the team.  Harrington isn't exactly breaking new ground here.  However, here are going to be some changes to this roster, the question is whom and for what.  

2C is still an issue and will remain so, but is it fixable at the deadline?  Unfortunately a 2C with term remains the only fix that will upgrade the team long term and makes us a more viable playoff team now.  This is ultimately the only move JBot should make.  

Centers with term or control I'm interested in Trocheck, Henrique, Strome, Bonino and Hertl.

Even with the finally healthy group of forwards for the first time in months the offense is still iffy.  In February the Sabres are 5-2-1 with 22 GF (2.75 GF/gp) and 22 against (2.75 GA/GP).  This is a decent improvement from Hutton and it's making a difference in W-L, but being 8 pts back with 23 to go is a hard climb.  

Toronto has 70 points with 22 games to go.  If they only average 1pt per game and limp in at 92 pts (their defense is awful), the Sabres would need 31 pts in their final 23 games to pass them.  That's a record of 13-5-5 the rest of the way.  The only way to accomplish that is for the offense to catch fire like it did last night and produce 4-5 goals a night.

Earlier I thought that Jbot would make 3-4 trades, but I'm down to one or two at most.  This single trade or combo trade (like the Scandella deal) is only going to upgrade the center group.  If he makes a deal Risto or Montour is almost certainly part of the package.  If he can't make a 2C deal, then I can see a sale of McCabe for draft picks and a Frolik for a pick.  This opens a slot for Pilut to prove he is an NHL D and with 13 healthy forwards and Wilson sitting in Rochester, Jbot can afford to move on from one of our bland wingers.

According to the 4th period the only player we are currently linked to is Kapanen (for what that's worth).  https://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade-watch-list-2020.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

The caliber of player that would move the needle for me as far as fixing a problem of tis team would cost a 1st, and be a rental, so I won't be surprised or upset if we don't get that at the deadline. That potential anger is reserved for not fixing obvious problems when it's actually time to do so 

Trading for a lesser player that could still be useful is a gesture I would appreciate though. Given standings realities I wouldn't be mad if they didn't do that now either, though for the second year in a row I'd be bummed that they weren't bought into when showing high, though probably unsustainable given roster construction, levels of play 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

The caliber of player that would move the needle for me as far as fixing a problem of tis team would cost a 1st, and be a rental, so I won't be surprised or upset if we don't get that at the deadline. That potential anger is reserved for not fixing obvious problems when it's actually time to do so 

Trading for a lesser player that could still be useful is a gesture I would appreciate though. Given standings realities I wouldn't be mad if they didn't do that now either, though for the second year in a row I'd be bummed that they weren't bought into when showing high, though probably unsustainable given roster construction, levels of play 

Would it really be so terrible if we traded a lottery protected 1st to Ana for Henrique?

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Absolutely 

Why?  He has 4 years left at a fairly reasonable number, is still on the right side of 30, is a decent 2C who scores and wins faceoffs.  As Cozens develops he works out his contract at 3C.  This gives us a spine of Eichel, Henrique, Cozens and Lazar.  That's a vary nice looking spine.  

With a lottery protected first odds are that the 1st moves to 2021.  If it doesn't, then that means we made the playoffs and our first would be around 16-17 at best.  That player usually takes 2 additional development years to reach the NHL, so we are talking at the 2022-23 season as a rookie with the Sabres.  I'd rather have Henrique because I think we are close to being a playoff team now and will likely be one next year when Ana actually makes the pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LTS said:

Exactly, making a trade now would most likely mean nothing more than pure desperation imo. Ride out the storm and rais sail with new meat next season.

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why?  He has 4 years left at a fairly reasonable number, is still on the right side of 30, is a decent 2C who scores and wins faceoffs.  As Cozens develops he works out his contract at 3C.  This gives us a spine of Eichel, Henrique, Cozens and Lazar.  That's a vary nice looking spine.  

With a lottery protected first odds are that the 1st moves to 2021.  If it doesn't, then that means we made the playoffs and our first would be around 16-17 at best.  That player usually takes 2 additional development years to reach the NHL, so we are talking at the 2022-23 season as a rookie with the Sabres.  I'd rather have Henrique because I think we are close to being a playoff team now and will likely be one next year when Ana actually makes the pick.

Build something around the pick to get a better hockey player (not that Henrique is terrible, but you can acquire better players through trade) that can be a longer term solution than a guy whose game could fall off at any minute (he's the kind of guy that is ripe for that sort of thing, with his skating and age (I don't think I'd consider being 30 the right side of 30 haha), every time I see him he looks like as soon as his legs go he's done, and his legs look wobbly)

I love your idea of using the pick in that fashion, but I'd shop for a different player and be willing to add value to the pick to get it done

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Sounds good to me, lets effin goooooooo 

That's what Montour trade was last deadline.  That was a great trade, even with the fall-out.

I didn't see an opening for a trade ever actually resulting in a 2C, but Trochek being available, and Ristolainen having a similar contract situation, the path couldn't be clearer to my eyes.  Trochek is a selfish player, but if he can eat-up quality 2nd line minutes and be paired with Skinner, he's what this team is missing.

42 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Build something around the pick to get a better hockey player (not that Henrique is terrible, but you can acquire better players through trade) that can be a longer term solution than a guy whose game could fall off at any minute (he's the kind of guy that is ripe for that sort of thing, with his skating and age (I don't think I'd consider being 30 the right side of 30 haha), every time I see him he looks like as soon as his legs go he's done, and his legs look wobbly)

I love your idea of using the pick in that fashion, but I'd shop for a different player and be willing to add value to the pick to get it done

I’m ok with someone other then Henrique, but if Jbot can use a lottery protected 1st to get a 2c with term I’m making that deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Would never trade a 1st rounder for a player that won’t be part of your team’s core when you are a contender.

Montour for a late 1st makes sense. Henrique for a mid-1st does not. Trocheck, however...

Really wish I’d paid more attention to him lately and had a better sense of why his game has dipped. That’s where Botterill and his scouts have to earn their money.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m ok with someone other then Henrique, but if Jbot can use a lottery protected 1st to get a 2c with term I’m making that deal.

Right there with ya. If he used it on Henrique I wouldn't freak out or anything, but I think he is capable of going above and beyond

In fact, if I were Terry, it would be a baseline requirement that he finds a good 2C this offseason. In a vacuum that is an unfair requirement, but we aren't in a vacuum. He gutted the position, and had the rest of that offseason, then last offseason, and then this one to fix it, so if he doesn't fix it this third time, I'm done with him, because the Sabres won't make the playoffs until they have a 2nd line that can go head to head with Malkin, Matthews, Stamkos etc. night after night and at the very least break even in play and results. 

No more wingers or unproven kids at that spot going into a season. I would not accept that for a third season in a row when playoffs are so critical. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Would never trade a 1st rounder for a player that won’t be part of your team’s core when you are a contender.

Montour for a late 1st makes sense. Henrique for a mid-1st does not. Trocheck, however...

Really wish I’d paid more attention to him lately and had a better sense of why his game has dipped. That’s where Botterill and his scouts have to earn their money.

Normally fans hit the trade boards on hf and pump their players up, arguing for why they shoould get more than other fans would offer. 

Panthers fans are begging for Trocheck to be taken away. They hate him, literal hate. It's one of the most jarring things i've ever read, considering my view of Vince before reading there. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Right there with ya. If he used it on Henrique I wouldn't freak out or anything, but I think he is capable of going above and beyond

In fact, if I were Terry, it would be a baseline requirement that he finds a good 2C this offseason. In a vacuum that is an unfair requirement, but we aren't in a vacuum. He gutted the position, and had the rest of that offseason, then last offseason, and then this one to fix it, so if he doesn't fix it this third time, I'm done with him, because the Sabres won't make the playoffs until they have a 2nd line that can go head to head with Malkin, Matthews, Stamkos etc. night after night and at the very least break even in play and results. 

No more wingers or unproven kids at that spot going into a season. I would not accept that for a third season in a row when playoffs are so critical. 

Normally fans hit the trade boards on hf and pump their players up, arguing for why they shoould get more than other fans would offer. 

Panthers fans are begging for Trocheck to be taken away. They hate him, literal hate. It's one of the most jarring things i've ever read, considering my view of Vince before reading there. 

He’s another Skinner 

47 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I’ve seen it. Is it justified like Forever’s hatred of Reinhart?

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So what does that mean?  Buy?  Or walk away?

Or maybe I should say Reinhart. He’s considered part of their core, but the easiest to move. Team isn’t doing hot so he’s a lightning rod of attention while his underlying stats are still good. 

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1