Jbot Do Something Already - Trade Deadline Edition - News Rumors and Trades

GASabresIUFAN

Trade Deadline Trades  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How many trades will Jbot Complete Tomorrow

• More
  2. 2. Will He Make a blockbuster trade for a top 6 forward?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which players will be trade; Who will he acquire

• Out - Montour
    • Out - Risto
    • Out - Sheary
    • Out - ERod
    • Out - Other
    • In - Kapanen
    • In - Trocheck
    • In - Henrique
    • In - other

In recent years trades seem to start getting done in the last week of Jan or early February.  Last year 8 deals went down from Jan 17 to the end of January, but that seems unusual.  Two bigger names were traded, Jake Muzzin and Nino Neiderreiter.  

As our GM Jbot has made the following deals after the new year.  
Year 1 - Evander Kane at the deadline for a 1st, O’Regan and 2020 4th.

Year 2 - Leier for Bailey a year ago today - an AHL swap;  Baloo for a 6th at the deadline; Montour for Guhle and a 1st also at the deadline

Year 3 - A 3 way deal essentially on 1/2 - Scandella to Montreal for a 4th and then that 4th to Calg for Frolik. So far!

Not much to go on.

However from 2014 - to 2017 Jbot worked for Rutherford in Pitt who seems not to worry about when to make a deal and maybe this rubbed off on Jbot.

in 2015 - Rutherford acquired in January David Perron and Max Lapierre, plus Ian Cole, Ben Lovejoy and Daniel Winnik at or near the deadline

in 2016 - Rutherford swapped Perron for Hagelin in Jan and made 3 more deals including for Justin Schultz at the deadline.

in 2017- Rutherford made 3 deals at or near the deadline for Hainsey, Corrado, Mark Streit.   

So what can we expect between now and the deadline.  Jbot just said on WGR he is already working the phones and the Scandella/Frolik deal seems to verify this assertion.  However we need better help then Frolik and Jbot is going to have to be creative to get it done do to our difficult cap situation.  Like Frolik/Scandella the money in and our for going to have to equal out when the trading ends.

Sabres needs (IMHO)

1) 2nd or 3rd line center.  We need an upgrade on MoJo - In a perfect world I’d like us to acquire 2 centers as I’d like to see MoJo at RW, but cap and other issues make this a bridge likely to far.

2) Backup goaltending.  Hutton is 0-7-4 in his last 11 starts.  We’d be in a playoff spot right now if Hutton could have been simply mediocre in the those games.  

Assets to trade

1) Defense - Miller and McCabe our probably our two easiest moved players for value. Age, reasonable salary and term make them good acquisitions.  I won’t rule out Montour either if a legit 2C is coming back.  This would save the Sabre big $, but I think Jbot views him as a core piece.

2) Depth forwards - while we don’t love them, but we have a ton of rental type forwards in Sheary, Frolik, Vesey, Erod, Girgensons and Larsson who could add to a contending team at reasonable cost and give us assets to use in other deals. They also  could be utilized to make the money work on a bigger acquisition.

3) Drafts - we are actually short of picks right now.  We have our 1, 2, 4 & 5 the next two years (no 3rds) we have 2 7ths in 2020 and our own 6 & 7 in 2021

4) Prospects - UPL and Cozens aren’t available but I bet Mitts, Asplund, Borgen, Pilut and Johansson are in the right deal. Could we see Mitts moved in a Nylander/Jokiharju type deal?

Available players 

Centers - I want Bonino or Henrique but I’m not sure they are available.  Pageau, Galchenyuk, Turris and Granlund are available. C/LW Brayden Schenn is also rumored to be available because Armstrong can’t afford to keep him

Wingers - Toffoli, Hoffman, Kreider, Zucker, amongst others are listed as available.

Goalies - Pen’s Jarry and DeSmith, Chi’s Lehner or Crawford.

Deals we could see
1) Bad contract swaps such as Bogo to NJ for Simmonds or KO to Nashville for Turris

2) Depth forwards for other assets

3) One or Two D with other assets to secure a 2C.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Might wanna put the date of the deadline in the title

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

I expect another quiet deadline on JBOTs part, mostly because the people we want to see moved off this roster have no value. Wouldn't be surprised if Bogo is acquired by someone looking to shore up depth but I think we'd have to eat salary somehow and would only get picks in return.

Same. Botterill has shown to be an offseason guy if anything, nothing wild is going to happen at this draft for us.

Just now, WildCard said:

Might wanna put the date of the deadline in the title

Same. Botterill has shown to be an offseason guy if anything, nothing wild is going to happen at this draft for us.

This won't stop me from refreshing feeds every 30 seconds on deadline day, unfortunately. We're 5 weeks away from today....

• Like (+1) 2

I’m going to disagree.  I think we seeing at least 3-4 deals including 1-2 major deals.  He has made one major deal each deadline; Kane and then Montour. No reason to think with his team nearing playoff contention he won’t do something.  

I also think he’ll move at least one of Bogo or Erod if not both.

10 minutes ago, freester said:

I think Montour is the asset that has to be moved in order to acquire a #2 C.  No one else has the value.  I doubt a young #2 C gets moved at the deadline.  This is more of an offseason move.

Montour or Ristolainen.  Nothing else makes sense.  And really don't expect Botterill to be willing to move either for that 2C when one of Mittelstadt & Cozens should be a year (yeah, right) away to 3 years away.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

Pens won't be trading Jarry, he's their #1 right now, outplaying Murray. Toffoli and Kreider will end up on top contenders. My bet is Toffoli goes to Boston. They just waived Backes so they are working on something and are always looking for a RW. 

I really can't see JBot trading futures for rentals. We're better than last year, but we're not a contender by any stretch. Better he trades the Veseys and other pending FAs if he can for prospects and/or picks. If we trade Risto the PP is dead again. Montour I would trade for a quality forward but he's a JBot guy so that won't happen either. More likely he overpays him this summer.

I expect us to do very little and we wont' even get anything now for most of the FAs we do have and will likely lose in the off season. Prove me wrong JBot, prove me wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I really can't see JBot trading futures for rentals. We're better than last year, but we're not a contender by any stretch. Better he trades the Veseys and other pending FAs if he can for prospects and/or picks. If we trade Risto the PP is dead again. Montour I would trade for a quality forward but he's a JBot guy so that won't happen either. More likely he overpays him this summer.

I expect us to do very little and we wont' even get anything now for most of the FAs we do have and will likely lose in the off season. Prove me wrong JBot, prove me wrong. 

Agreed on the futures for rentals - these deals aren't going to happen and shouldn't happen.

This deadline could be different because so much salary comes off the books next season.  It wouldn't surprise me if JBotts swings a deal for an overpaid 2C with a couple years left on his contract while dumping Sheary/Bogo/etc for picks/future considerations to get through this year.  They have the cap space and if you're going to overpay in this league it should be on a bonafide top 6C. 

I think @GASabresIUFANhas set up the trade-deadline scenario quite well in the OP. 

The only changes I would make is that Bogo, although expensive, needs to be considered as a trade chip. These teams needing defense can be desperate.

I also agree with the no futures for rentals talk. I don't think that will happen.

I think, at the very least, Botterill tries to unload some baggage for low picks.  So, ERod and Bogo are most likely to go under under this circumstance.

I could see McCabe and a prospect and a really low pick being put up for a 2C on a team that believes it needs defense more than it needs a 2,3 center.

9 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

It wouldn't surprise me if JBotts swings a deal for an overpaid 2C with a couple years left on his contract 

That's a reasonable scenario but the question I'd have is who would that be? Which team is looking to unload a 2C with term on his contract they want to get rid of? I can't think of anyone who I'd want but I can't say I know every team's roster either.  

I believe Botterill is dealing from a position of strength when it comes to the RHD asset pool. With Borgen sure to push for a spot next season he has some leeway to make a couple of deals. Teams in need of RHD's to address both depth for a playoff run as well as those looking for longer term solutions to that position are sure to come knocking. In my opinion it will all depend on the Sabres position in the standings when the time comes.

Bogo is surely gone, maybe with salary retained and most likely for picks or a B/B- prospect. He is still a big bodied defenseman who can play, if picks I can see a team giving a 2nd rdr for his services in a playoff run, if retained salary I can see an additional pick added for that, or maybe a prospect that fills a need for Rochester. Either way, he won't be here past the deadline.

Risto won't be going anywhere I more than suspect. He's coming in to his own under RK imo.

Jokiharu is a core D man on this team at a very reasonable cost yet. He's here for the duration.

This brings us to Miller and Montour. Miller is 27 yrs old with 3 yrs at 3.88 mil left. Very affordable and serviceable D man for those teams looking for a bit of term left. Maybe a lower tier playoff bound team or perhaps even a non playoff team looking to address next season a bit early before the off season trade bidding wars begin. Hard to say. Montour is going to get a raise, and I'm guessing the 5 to 6 mil territory is at the very least going to be pushed for. Even if he's not perceived by fans to be worth that, I can see his agent going for that. Still an RFA, he will be valued by many other teams, if your looking for a 2C, here is your chip in the game, imho.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Brock Boeser says what!?

He (or Konecny) are the guys we could have had had TM not acquired Lehner.  Roslovic or Beauvillier were the forwards we could have had had TM not traded with Wpg.

Also Aho, Carlo were available early in the second rd with the pick TM sent to Colorado.

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Thoughts on Jean Gabriel Pageau?

He’s has a career shooting percentage of 10.6% and is shooting at a rate of 18.4% this season. 

The previous three seasons he has had 7.5, 9.5 and 4.8 shooting percentages.

Someone will over pay at the trade deadline and/or July 1st, I would be leery to be that team 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He’s has a career shooting percentage of 10.6% and is shooting at a rate of 18.4% this season. 

The previous three seasons he has had 7.5, 9.5 and 4.8 shooting percentages.

Someone will over pay at the trade deadline and/or July 1st, I would be leery to be that team 

Jack's career shooting % is 10.8.  His seasons so far are 10.1, 9.6, 10.2, 9.2 and now 17.2.  Sounds familiar.  I'm not saying there isn't risk with Pageau, but he should be a player we know well.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack's career shooting % is 10.8.  His seasons so far are 10.1, 9.6, 10.2, 9.2 and now 17.2.  Sounds familiar.  I'm not saying there isn't risk with Pageau, but he should be a player we know well.

One player is 23 entering his prime and has been consistent in improving season after season.
The other is 28 hasn’t shown much consistency from year to year and is at the age when decline begins to set in.

One is a budding NHL Superstar, the other is a good player. 

One’s Contract is turning into a bargain, the other will have buyers remorse within a couple seasons 

Comparing the Eichel and Pageau for the purpose of signing the latter is a stretch at best 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But it’s going to take a huge offer to get Montour or Risto.  

You don’t give up a blossoming young player under a favorable contract unless you are getting similar value back

Would you trade Risto or Montour plus Mattias Samuelsson (and a sweetner if needed like a 3rd round pick) to Tampa for Cirelli and whatever cap dump they need to make it work (let's say Palat)?