GDT - Thursday, Jan 16 - Sabres @ Dallas - 8pm ET (WGR,MSG)

LTS

Just now, OverPowerYou said:

Does anyone think we can get 8th place? 

If Ullmark can continue to play like he has we have a shot. We get Skinner and Oloffson back soon. Dougie Hamilton got hurt tonight, Morgan Reilly is out for the Leafs, and the Flyers lost Hart. Still, comes down to how we play though, and which team shows up. Playoffs would be absolutely huge for this team, almost like when the Bills snapped the steak  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, WildCard said:

If Ullmark can continue to play like he has we have a shot. We get Skinner and Oloffson back soon. Dougie Hamilton got hurt tonight, Morgan Reilly is out for the Leafs, and the Flyers lost Hart. Still, comes down to how we play though, and which team shows up. Playoffs would be absolutely huge for this team, almost like when the Bills snapped the steak  

Hey Wild, what's the time projection on Skinner and Oloffson?

1 minute ago, OverPowerYou said:

We had a heroic run to 8th in 2011-2012. We were in last place in the East going into the game on 1/24/12, at 19-24-4. We finished the season 39-32-11. We absolutely can. (Remember, we were really good in October.) We can do this! Will we... well, always in motion is the future.

1 minute ago, Nitro60 said:

5 points back is not a tough obstacle.  Continue to play like they have in the last three games and they have a shot.

It's a very tough obstacle when we have to jump and stay ahead of 3 teams. We've played at a 1.06 ppg pace so far, 96 points (~what making it takes) requires us to play at a 1.32 ppg pace the rest of the way, ie. a 109 point 82 game pace. 

But, we can get hot. It's not impossible, wins like today give me hope. 

• Like (+1) 1

Could only watch the third and listen to some of the second, and the intermission show. Seemed like a perfect road game, and like they've finally figured out how to handle Dallas' game in their barn. Traditionally the games in Dallas are among the most offensively starved games we play all season, and it's been a long time since we won there. Good stuff. Beat Nashville and we may enter February with some hope, and a mild side of shock.

Jack cannot set his career high for goals on an empty netter, which is why the hockey gods made that shot miss.

Credit to PA for being the first on the Lazar train. 

Let's get our snipers back and maybe find a center eh?

tough to know how to judge a coach on under 50 games and I don't really know what I'm looking for on the ice in that regard, but what impresses me about Ralph's Sabres is that every skater sans Hutton and Skinner (who is understandable given his track record with and without Jack) is either playing as well as, or far better than, I expected them to (and guys like Vesey who isn't scoring like he did but has reinvented his game and is arguably more useful than the 17 ESG, defensive black hole he used to be)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

We had a heroic run to 8th in 2011-2012. We were in last place in the East going into the game on 1/24/12, at 19-24-4. We finished the season 39-32-11. We absolutely can. (Remember, we were really good in October.) We can do this! Will we... well, always in motion is the future.

Didn't make it that year though

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OverPowerYou said:

It will be a tough uphill battle with the way the rest of the teams ahead of us are playing (Philly, Leafs, Canes, Lightning), but still lots of time for anything to happen.  If we can play like we did tonight on a consistent basis, we will get hot and streak some wins together, while some of the other teams get key injuries and have a losing streak.  If we are ramping up with consistency in play at just the right time, that with the eventual return of Skinner and Goaloffson, and 8th or even higher is possible.  My bet is Wild Card is our best hope.  But as an eternal Sabres optimist, my hope tank is still full and am routing for a solid playoff positioning.  Let's GO Buff-a-lo!!!

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

It's a very tough obstacle when we have to jump and stay ahead of 3 teams. We've played at a 1.06 ppg pace so far, 96 points (~what making it takes) requires us to play at a 1.32 ppg pace the rest of the way, ie. a 109 point 82 game pace. 

But, we can get hot. It's not impossible, wins like today give me hope. 

So with 34 games left and 51 points currently, we need 45 points, so we need to go something like 22-11-1

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Could only watch the third and listen to some of the second, and the intermission show. Seemed like a perfect road game, and like they've finally figured out how to handle Dallas' game in their barn. Traditionally the games in Dallas are among the most offensively starved games we play all season, and it's been a long time since we won there. Good stuff. Beat Nashville and we may enter February with some hope, and a mild side of shock.

Jack cannot set his career high for goals on an empty netter, which is why the hockey gods made that shot miss.

Credit to PA for being the first on the Lazar train. 

Let's get our snipers back and maybe find a center eh?

tough to know how to judge a coach on under 50 games and I don't really know what I'm looking for on the ice in that regard, but what impresses me about Ralph's Sabres is that every skater sans Hutton and Skinner (who is understandable given his track record with and without Jack) is either playing as well as, or far better than, I expected them to (and guys like Vesey who isn't scoring like he did but has reinvented his game and is arguably more useful than the 17 ESG, defensive black hole he used to be)

Totally agreed with all of this, except the Vesey thing. Advanced stats folks say he has indeed been a black hole defensively. 

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Just like the Bills this year, even getting our butts kicked by Washington would be an invaluable experience. 

I understand the limitations provided by the in season trade market but I am happy Jason is still reportedly trying hard to help out his team because they haven't given up on this season and he should be right there with them, while understanding their weaknesses and what they might need

• Like (+1) 1

My only fear right now is Hutton. We need to make a goalie swap. His contract and recent play make it a net negative I would think, but we need to give Ullmark a back up goalie worthy of his rest. Because honestly, Ullmark is coming in to his own right now and is our #1 goalie. We need help in net minding, no?

My only fear right now is Hutton. We need to make a goalie swap. His contract and recent play make it a net negative I would think, but we need to give Ullmark a back up goalie worthy of his rest. Because honestly, Ullmark is coming in to his own right now and is our #1 goalie. We need help in net minding, no?

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Yes indeed. Carter has thrown enough points in the trash. We can't afford to hope he fixes it at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

That's worth repeating.

?

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.