GDT - Thursday, Jan 16 - Sabres @ Dallas - 8pm ET (WGR,MSG)

LTS

Look... if I can pull my lazy arse out of bed on a snowy Thursday morning and wander downstairs by 8:20am... I might as well get this day started right.

Truth is.. I have not even had coffee yet (it's brewing).

But.. the Sabres are in Dallas tonight.  They're wrapping up the last few games before the All-Star break by playing the Stars themselves... the good news is that these are not the All-Stars even if they are all Stars.

Commence discussion... 

And, yes Sabrespacers... the future is bright, even if some of you keep trying turn off the damn lights.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I'll be there to and hoping to catch up with the ex-Chicken Head Man which may mean we're in big trouble because I don't think I've been to a game in Dallas that we've won. If not I'll be in Nashville to cheer on the boys there also. 

LETS GO BUFFALO

Just noticed that my 5 year anniversary on the site just passed a couple of days ago, hopefully that'll get us some points on this trip.

THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY

• The Sabres are 13-3-5 all-time on January 16.
  • January 16, 1970: George “Punch” Imlach is named general manager and coach of the Sabres.
  • January 16, 2017: Jake McCabe earns his first career game-winning goal by scoring the first power-play goal of his career in a 4-1 win at home against the Dallas Stars.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

• The Sabres are seeking their first win in Dallas since Jan. 15, 2009. With a win tonight, Buffalo would have multiple wins in a season against the Stars for the first time since they won five straight matchups to sweep the 1984-85 and 1985-86 season series.
  • The Sabres have gone 6-for-14 (42.9%) on the power play in their last five games, converting at the third-best rate in the league during that stretch entering play Wednesday.
  • With a point tonight, Jack Eichel would join David Pastrnak as the only other NHL player to record two separate point streaks of at least nine games this season.
  • Sam Reinhart tied his career high with three points (1+2) in the Sabres’ last game on Tuesday vs. Vegas. The team is now 8-2-1 this season (.773) and 39-7-8 (.796) in his career when he records at least two points.
  • Carter Hutton, who shut out the Stars in the first meeting between these teams this season, is 4-3-2 against Dallas in his career with a .923 save percentage and a 2.27 goals-against average.
  • Linus Ullmark has yet to register a win against Dallas through three career meetings but has a .939 save percentage and a 1.72 goals-against average in those games.

Edited by jsb
more info
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They where at Lockheed Martin in Texas doing a show on the Lightning when they had a 2 second flash of a guy with a Bills hard hat on the assembly floor. Slim chance but had to ask.

Ha.  That sounds cool.  I wonder if he'll be at the game.

The Dallas Stars’ top forwards are cheaters, Avalanche coach Jared Bednar said.

“They’ve got veteran centermen in (Joe) Pavelski, (Jamie) Benn, (Tyler) Seguin and they cheat. They cheat on the faceoffs,” Bednar said Wednesday, the day after Dallas used a questionable faceoff to beat the Avs 3-2 in overtime at the Pepsi Center.

To be fair, Bednar insinuated that all NHL teams, including his, try to push the rules to win faceoffs.

“They’re doing a better job of cheating on it than we are,” Bednar said. “We don’t feel like the linesmen we’re doing a good enough job (Tuesday), sort of holding (the respective teams) accountable to make it a level playing field on the faceoffs.”

The game’s final draw Tuesday between Pavelski and the Avs’ Gabe Landeskog immediately led to the game-winning goal by Stars defenseman Esa Lindell. In Dallas’ offensive zone, Pavelski won the puck back to Lindell, who skated in and wristed it past Philipp Grubauer to complete a regular-season sweep (4-0) of Colorado.

Landeskog was furious at himself and young linesman Brandon Gawryletz after the game. Replays showed Pavelski hooked Landeskog’s stick on the dot before Gawryletz dropped the puck. The rule states the faceoff man in the defensive zone (Landeskog) is to put his stick on the ice first, and then the attacking man (Pavelski), with the sticks parallel to each other until the puck is dropped.

“First and foremost, at that point in the game, overtime, every faceoff’s important. I take responsibility,” Landeskog said Wednesday. “I should have just lifted my stick and backed out of there and reset. The reality is, it was just a bad drop from start to finish. I’m down in the D-zone first and he (puts) his stick under my heel and the linesman isn’t even looking — the linesman drops the puck without looking and obviously doesn’t see his mistake.”

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/01/15/colorado-avalanche-dallas-stars-faceoff-cheating/

We will have to watch for this 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Anyone else notice that Dahlin has been better since Mitts left for Rochester? Just spitballing. 

Yeah.  Because it wasn't sitting out about 2 weeks worth of games that gave him a different perspective on the & his game which allowed him to elevate his game.  It was actually having the 4C tyat was probably on the ice w/ Dahlin less than 4 minutes/ game going out of the lineup that did it. <_<

With that kind of logic, Olofsson's injury must be why he's got 5 points in his last 5 games.  Either that or Frolik is the Teenage Swedish Defenseman Whisperer. <_<

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Because it wasn't sitting out about 2 weeks worth of games that gave him a different perspective on the & his game which allowed him to elevate his game.  It was actually having the 4C tyat was probably on the ice w/ Dahlin less than 4 minutes/ game going out of the lineup that did it. <_<

With that kind of logic, Olofsson's injury must be why he's got 5 points in his last 5 games.  Either that or Frolik is the Teenage Swedish Defenseman Whisperer. <_<

Well, wait. There's something a little more to this, potentially. Those 2 were absolutely joined at the hip as NHLers. They would constantly show up in each other's social media content. Maybe Casey being in the A has allowed/prompted Dahlin to refocus a bit? 

Dahlin v Heiskanen

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I thought Casey and Dahlin were living together still

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin v Heiskanen

I thought Casey and Dahlin were living together still

I do believe they had a place (townhouse) together. But with Casey based in Roch, there must be some other arrangement. Perhaps Casey's "living" in a long-term hotel type facility.

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I do believe they had a place (townhouse) together. But with Casey based in Roch, there must be some other arrangement. Perhaps Casey's "living" in a long-term hotel type facility.

That was my point with the original post. Casey isn't living with Dahlin right now and Dahlin is better. As I said I was just spitballing but Casey Mittelstadt's work ethic hasn't impressed me thus far. He made almost no strides from last season to this one. The hell does he do in the offseason? Play video games and chew?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That was my point with the original post. Casey isn't living with Dahlin right now and Dahlin is better. As I said I was just spitballing but Casey Mittelstadt's work ethic hasn't impressed me thus far. He made almost no strides from last season to this one. The hell does he do in the offseason? Play video games and chew?

Lotta chumming with the broskis.

Nothing wrong with that.

Unless, of course, it's matched with a sneaky level of self-satisfaction.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.