Gerald Gallant Fired by Vegas

Brawndo

Such great minds, so immalleable. Can some of you not imagine the thinking behind such a move? The GM saw a problem. They were one and down in last year's playoffs, and maybe he saw the same trajectory this year, despite a good record (still, only 24-25). It's kind of telling it's the Sabres fan base whose mind would be blown here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eman said:

There could be something to your point because I can't see Peter DeBoer making Vegas any better than Gallant can. You may be able to add DeBoer's name to your list. However Vigneault in Philly, Quenneville in Florida, Keefe in Toronto.......................so you just never know.

You can't judge on one season either.  Vigneault's history says he's not a difference maker.  Quenneville?  Maybe.  Keefe.. way too early to give him credit.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the Sabres should add him not replace existing. 

Fair... but I think he's HC bound.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

He's not going to take an assistant position.  Someone will offer him a HC job by the end of May.

Barry Trotz has made a huge difference for the Islanders.

Trotz is a good example, but he's just one and he had already shown how he turned around Washington.  That said, I believe there was some skepticism when he was let go from Nashville.

I think Trotz has made the Islanders better.. he made Washington better.

Most coaches don't fit that bill though.  I don't think Gallant does either... not based on what we've seen to date.

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Can some of you not imagine the thinking behind such a move? The GM saw a problem. They were one and down in last year's playoffs, and maybe he saw the same trajectory this year, despite a good record (still, only 24-25). It's kind of telling it's the Sabres fan base whose mind would be blown here.

I think it's weird, but I don't think it's an inherently bad decision. I'm just arguing that Gallant is a very good NHL coach. Not saying you're directing this at me, just putting it out there since I've been pumping him up in this thread. 

I don't think your Sabres fan base point holds any water. Here's how general NHL fans reacted to it, just on the first page of that thread alone on hfboards: 
"What." - Flames fan
"W T H" - Unspecified 
"Is this a joke? Has to be for non-hockey related reasons." - Sharks fan

"Wow. That's a shocker."- Bruins fan
"What the ****" - Devils fan
"I mean this can't be hockey related can it?" - Unspecified
"Ehhhrrrhhhh... Ouatte?" - Unspecified
"What??????" - Sharks fan
"Well this is... surprising." - Unspecified

"You gotta be kidding me" - Unspecified
"They fired Gallant for Deboer? 
Lol what" - Leafs fan
"Uhhhh... what?!" - Lightning fan
"Why" - Bruins fan
"What????????????" - Unspecified

Unspecified means I can't tell what team they root for by their name, avatar, or location. None of the unspecified commenters is a poster I've ever seen on the Sabres forum. This is just from page 1 of the 21 page long thread on his firing. Some posters think it makes sense, but to say that there's something "telling" about Sabres fans being surprised by the firing doesn't pass the sniff test.

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I think it's weird, but I don't think it's an inherently bad decision. I'm just arguing that Gallant is a very good NHL coach. Not saying you're directing this at me, just putting it out there since I've been pumping him up in this thread. 

I don't think your Sabres fan base point holds any water. Here's how general NHL fans reacted to it, just on the first page of that thread alone on hfboards: 
"What." - Flames fan
"W T H" - Unspecified 
"Is this a joke? Has to be for non-hockey related reasons." - Sharks fan

"Wow. That's a shocker."- Bruins fan
"What the ****" - Devils fan
"I mean this can't be hockey related can it?" - Unspecified
"Ehhhrrrhhhh... Ouatte?" - Unspecified
"What??????" - Sharks fan
"Well this is... surprising." - Unspecified

"You gotta be kidding me" - Unspecified
"They fired Gallant for Deboer? 
Lol what" - Leafs fan
"Uhhhh... what?!" - Lightning fan
"Why" - Bruins fan
"What????????????" - Unspecified

Unspecified means I can't tell what team they root for by their name, avatar, or location. None of the unspecified commenters is a poster I've ever seen on the Sabres forum. This is just from page 1 of the 21 page long thread on his firing. Some posters think it makes sense, but to say that there's something "telling" about Sabres fans being surprised by the firing doesn't pass the sniff test.

That's fair.

I have to wonder if Gallant isn't a bit like Ted Nolan was. One of those guys that does things his way and doesn't play nice with GMs and/or owners, maybe not even with some star players, so he doesn't make a lot of faux friends and the suits don't like him and jump at any excuse to get rid of him. 

imo Vegas simply isn't getting the great goaltending they got season 1 and they are maybe a good example of how adding talent isn't always the best plan if you sacrifice work ethic and team chemistry for it. The team has lost a little of it's identity. I think Gallant is a good coach, but maybe not in the diva era we are in.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

they should add lindy ruff as well ?

And Babcock, and Laviolette, and Hynes (oops, too late), and Peters (ok, maybe not that one), and Montgomery (easier to hide his issues with so much help).  Botterill already showed his love for defenseman.  Why can't he do the same with coaches?

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Gallant will get another job quickly, and DeBoer is not a push-over.

Agree.  And I think many teams are now thinking  a little harder on making a coaching change knowing Gallant is on the market.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Wouldn't be at all surprising to learn that at least a couple of GM's have already reached out to him.

Which could be what happened here.  Maybe Vegas wanted DeBoer all along, reached out to him after San Jose fired him, and decided that now is the time when they actually can get him.

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

One strategy fits all coaches are being pushed aside for Housley-type different game plan and play style for every team all regular season. 

Unsurprisingly, vast majority of people who skipped all real schooling to play testosterone sports all day struggle with the complexities. 

Huh?

Housley couldn't even be bothered to match lines.  You really thought he was playing 4D chess with his "strategies?"

12 hours ago, StuckinFL said:

You can't. HCRK hasn't been given enough time behind the bench to promote higher. While it would be a good move in a vacuum, given how many HCs this team has gone through you can't make that move right now. 

I CAN and I WILL

15 hours ago, Eleven said:

Which could be what happened here.  Maybe Vegas wanted DeBoer all along, reached out to him after San Jose fired him, and decided that now is the time when they actually can get him.

Judging by how fast it happened, I think they immediately wanted DeBoer and just wanted until there was any half assed reason to pull the trigger. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.