Gerald Gallant Fired by Vegas

Brawndo

26 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

this is a weird comparison - Vegas were legit cup contenders the last two years and have a real shot at home ice through multiple playoff series again this year. No roster is perfect. Good teams don't have perfect rosters, they just know how to address holes over a several year span. Nothing about the way Vegas is run suggests that they'll indefinitely have problems at the defensive position just because they do now, just like even a bad team like the Sabres can turn weaknesses (check out our slate of defensemen in 2016, and 2017) into strengths (as you list now) in just a few years. In the meantime, while we've been god awful, they've been a blast to follow for their fans. 

Just thinking out loud. It doesn't have to be bad for them but it doesn't currently look good. 

19 minutes ago, LTS said:

It was a slight typo.

First year - cup final. That team had no worries. No expectations and they played that way. It was predicted reality would set in.. it did.

Second year - circumstances.. they lost.  So be it. You can't project past there, because they lost.  You can try, but they lost.  What else do you want?  My kid comes home from his games some nights and tells me "We should have beat that team."  My response?  "You didn't.  So apparently should doesn't give a damn about what you think."  It is a result oriented game.

Third year - they are not winning.

My point is not that he's a bad coach.  It's that a coach does not make a team great.  So, don't overvalue a coaches ability to turn a team around.  It takes talent and coaching, and mostly talent.

This is why McLellan has not made a difference in Los Angeles
This is why Babcock was not the saviour he made out to be.
This is why Gallant ain't as amazing as people think.
This is why Laviolette isn't going to change things.
This is why _________ won't make Buffalo better than they are right now.

I don't think Vegas should have fired him, but that does not mean the Sabres should hire him to replace what they have.

I think the Sabres should add him not replace existing. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

So many GMs looking at Yeo last year and trying to emulate the same heroic turnaround the Blues had 

such a trendy league

The differences in the 2 situations being that the shocking thing about Yeo's Minnesota tenure was how long it was, not that it ended and the shocking thing about his St. Louis tenure is that it ever started.  

Whereas both times Gallant got canned, nobody except the GMs/ ownership saw it coming. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

It was a slight typo.

First year - cup final. That team had no worries. No expectations and they played that way. It was predicted reality would set in.. it did.

Second year - circumstances.. they lost.  So be it. You can't project past there, because they lost.  You can try, but they lost.  What else do you want?  My kid comes home from his games some nights and tells me "We should have beat that team."  My response?  "You didn't.  So apparently should doesn't give a damn about what you think."  It is a result oriented game.

My point is not that he's a bad coach.  It's that a coach does not make a team great.  So, don't overvalue a coaches ability to turn a team around.  It takes talent and coaching, and mostly talent.

I don't think Vegas should have fired him, but that does not mean the Sabres should hire him to replace what they have.

There could be something to your point because I can't see Peter DeBoer making Vegas any better than Gallant can. You may be able to add DeBoer's name to your list. However Vigneault in Philly, Quenneville in Florida, Keefe in Toronto.......................so you just never know.

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t buy that.... if Vegas killed the Sabres 5-0, I bet he would still have a job this morning. Granted, his firing may have been semi imminent, but if they won convincingly, Gallant would have another game at the very least. The firing in general is rather premature in my opinion.

Unless it had nothing to do with performance, and was due to a more HR type reason.

Edit: dang, looks like it was performance based.  Weird

Edited by Curt

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

That's 2 guys cut loose this year that I'd've been perfectly fine with punting Bylsma or Housley for.

But don't want to give up on Krueger for.  (Though Gallant is REAL tempting.)

You wouldn't have to. Everyone knows Ralph's end game is being a team president.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Let me list all the defenders under the age of 24 that have a shot at or are playing for Vegas...

Hague

Korczak

... that's it, that's the list. 

So what? Where does playing kids on D get you?

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The more I read this more insane it sounds. Demanding the best and immediately pulling the plug when there is the slightest bump in the road is irrational. You are asking for a level of control that simply does not exist in hockey or most sports. What if you play a team with a red hot goalie and he stones you? You should be fired? What if you play a guy like McDavid and he is just on fire? What if your starting GT gets hurt? This type of though process requires you to be able to control everything and you simply cant. 

This is a great illustration of people running some numbers and not considering much else. There's an eye test, context and inside knowledge that has to be respected. Until proven otherwise the Vegas franchise gets the benefit of the doubt.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You wouldn't have to. Everyone knows Ralph's end game is being a team president.

So what? Where does playing kids on D get you?

This is a great illustration of people running some numbers and not considering much else. There's an eye test, context and inside knowledge that has to be respected. Until proven otherwise the Vegas franchise gets the benefit of the doubt.

Running the numbers? What numbers? The fact the team just hit a bump in the road but otherwise has been playing well? The fact they are 3 points out of first? Those numbers? You are so against numbers that you just interjected it into a conversation that was not even centered on numbers. 

As to your D comment. It was a comment on the fact that Vegas needs another defender and has very limited resources invested in their defense going forward. 

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Hold the hell on. You spend threads talking about the Pegulas and their decision making and choices with the scantest of evidence but you toss this out when another franchise does something highly questionable? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

Gallant seems to have a way of wearing out his welcome in places...this is the second time he got canned that wasn't necessarily related to performance...something tells me he rubs his bosses the wrong way repeatedly and after a while they only are going to deal with so much of it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Remember folks, Stanley Cup winning coaches other then Scotty Bowman have never won a Cup with a second franchise

I wonder just how many sports that's true with. 

1) NBA: This is obviously happened, Phil Jackson comes to mind but I'm sure there's more

2) NFL: Quick research says none

3) NHL: None

4) MLB: Google :

• Bucky Harris 1924 Washington Senators, 1947 New York Yankees.
  • Bill McKechnie 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates, 1940 Cincinnati Reds.
  • Sparky Anderson 1975 & 1976 Cincinnati Reds, 1984 Detroit Tigers.
  • Tony La Russa 1989 Oakland Athletics, 2006, '11 St.
Edited by WildCard

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay then, offer Gallant an assistant's position. Get him in the building.

He's not going to take an assistant position.  Someone will offer him a HC job by the end of May.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Barry Trotz has made a huge difference for the Islanders.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Gallant seems to have a way of wearing out his welcome in places...this is the second time he got canned that wasn't necessarily related to performance...something tells me he rubs his bosses the wrong way repeatedly and after a while they only are going to deal with so much of it.

So he'd be perfect here then because I don't think there's anybody at the helm of the SS Sabres.   

2 hours ago, LTS said:

It was a slight typo.

They "aren't winning" but are 3 points out of the 1 seed. I'd be comfortable betting that they get home ice in the first round, because they're a good team. You're retreating into broader points about the effectiveness of NHL coaches that nobody is talking about. What we're saying is that he has absolutely established himself as a very good coach, and that he can establish remarkably effective NHL systems and strategies, to go along with the human and psychological aspects of the job that has made Vegas the story of the last 5 years in this league. It's on tape, it's measurable, and the players will tell you all about it (Colin Miller's reaction was telling). 

What, did two stray posters say we should acquire him? Wasn't one of them pi? So, one poster making that comment in a serious fashion? ?

Edited by Randall Flagg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.