Gerald Gallant Fired by Vegas

Brawndo

I certainly don't want to make light of someone getting fired because I know it is devastating. With that said here is how I picture it happening in my mind

Gm calls coach

Coach: hello

GM: the sabres?

Coach takes a deep breath and starts to say: i... 

GM: The sabres? You have brought shame to our organization. Deep shame. 

Coach: yes sir, I know. 

GM: you have 10 seconds to get your ugly, rotten, yellow keister out of here... 1, 2, 10. 

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

And oh look, it wasn't good enough.......

So yea, unless you have something more than speculative "what if's", it's been reported as performance based..........So......

Not according to a reported reason for his release.

If you buy those reports, sure. If those reports/reasons Vegas is claiming, that his performance wasn't good enough, are true, then Vegas is contending with us and Edmonton for the dumbest organizations in the league

• Like (+1) 2

After the game, Vegas forward Mark Stone seemed to indict the team's preparation for the game and how the losing streak was weighing on the club.

"It's tougher, especially when you're losing to teams you know that you're better than," Stone said. "And we're a better hockey team. Just have to find ways to put the puck in the net, and we've kind of gotten stale the last bunch of games."

I think Vegas has better forwards but as I have laid out in this thread, we have a superior defense. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Ran out of articles, what's the quote?

Not that incriminating, imo.

After the game, Vegas forward Mark Stone seemed to indict the team's preparation for the game and how the losing streak was weighing on the club.

"It's tougher, especially when you're losing to teams you know that you're better than," Stone said. "And we're a better hockey team. Just have to find ways to put the puck in the net, and we've kind of gotten stale the last bunch of games."

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

If you buy those reports, sure. If those reports/reasons Vegas is claiming, that his performance wasn't good enough, are true, then Vegas is contending with us and Edmonton for the dumbest organizations in the league

The Vegas GM himself is quoted as saying such. I mean, really, sometimes it is what it is.

Which brings me back full circle to what I alluded to in wishing the Sabres organization did the same.

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The Vegas GM himself is quoted as saying such. I mean, really, sometimes it is what it is.

Which brings me back full circle to what I alluded to in wishing the Sabres organization did the same.

Did the same what? Fire the coach for being 3 points out of first place?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Because why would people in high positions lie to us about something suspicious right?

IMO there's something nefarious or they're beyond dumb

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Created an environment whereby the results are a direct correlation of demanding, not hopeful, not wishful, but demanding the best.

It makes the difference imo.

They made the Finals in their first year and placed 3rd in their division the next year, where they got absolutely screw jobbed outta the first round against the Sharks. They're 3rd place now and were considered by everyone to be an actual contender for the Cup. What more could you possibly want from them?

• Like (+1) 3

So he's been bounced twice, unceremoniously.  The Panthers have done nothing to really improve.

He went to Vegas, had a great year the first year then the team was playing with nothing to lose... and then what?  First round loss and now fired.

Why do people want him here?  What has he proven?  Nothing to me.

It's just a case of "gimme anyone who can stop the losing" I think.  But you bring Gallant in here and I don't think anything changes.  At least not record wise...

It's not the coach... coaches don't take bad teams and make them great.  They take pretty good teams and make them great.  They can always take a great team and make them bad.

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Created an environment whereby the results are a direct correlation of demanding, not hopeful, not wishful, but demanding the best.

No you created an environment where turn over is going to happen constantly because hockey is luck based to a degree and EVERY SINGLE TEAM in the ENTIRE LEAGUE will go through stretches of 2-4 losses in a row. 

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Because why would people in high positions lie to us about something suspicious right?

IMO there's something nefarious or they're beyond dumb

It sounds like their GM is an idiot. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay then, offer Gallant an assistant's position. Get him in the building.

Considered suggesting this, but just don't see any way Gallant takes an assist coaching job.

Hoping that when the time comes to move on from Krueger (and eventually that time will come, but unless the Aisles lose their collective minds (which has been known to happen with relatively high frequency) and can Trotz, that time isn't now) that Spuddy's next team was dumb enough to have recently fired him.

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The more I read this more insane it sounds. Demanding the best and immediately pulling the plug when there is the slightest bump in the road is irrational. You are asking for a level of control that simply does not exist in hockey or most sports. What if you play a team with a red hot goalie and he stones you? You should be fired? What if you play a guy like McDavid and he is just on fire? What if your starting GT gets hurt? This type of though process requires you to be able to control everything and you simply cant. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

They made the Finals in their first year and placed 3rd in their division the next year, where they got absolutely screw jobbed outta the first round against the Sharks. They're 3rd place now and were considered by everyone to be an actual contender for the Cup. What more could you possibly want from them?

Well, according to what's being reported, they aren't living on the inaugural or 2nd season. Sounds like they are looking at the here and now.

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

To expand on this, let's up the age to 26. 

Hague, Korczak and Theodore

Now let's apply the same thing to Buffalo...

Risto, Montour, Pilut, Jokiharju, Dahlin, Bryson, Borgen, Johnson, Samuelsson, and Laaksonen. 

I would do this. Make the money work and get him in. 

this is a weird comparison - Vegas were legit cup contenders the last two years and have a real shot at home ice through multiple playoff series again this year. No roster is perfect. Good teams don't have perfect rosters, they just know how to address holes over a several year span. Nothing about the way Vegas is run suggests that they'll indefinitely have problems at the defensive position just because they do now, just like even a bad team like the Sabres can turn weaknesses (check out our slate of defensemen in 2016, and 2017) into strengths (as you list now) in just a few years. In the meantime, while we've been god awful, they've been a blast to follow for their fans. 

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

So he's been bounced twice, unceremoniously.  The Panthers have done nothing to really improve.

He went to Vegas, had a great year the first year then the team was playing with nothing to lose... and then what?  First round loss and now fired.

It's just a case of "gimme anyone who can stop the losing" I think.  But you bring Gallant in here and I don't think anything changes.  At least not record wise...

It's not the coach... coaches don't take bad teams and make them great.  They take pretty good teams and make them great.  They can always take a great team and make them bad.

In game 7. To the team that made the conference final and lost to the eventual Cup winner. And you said it yourself, Florida has only gotten worse since he was fired. I agree he wouldn't fix what ails the Sabres, but you're out to lunch on your assessment of him as a coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Well, according to what's being reported, they aren't living on the inaugural or 2nd season. Sounds like they are looking at the here and now.

Which is 3rd place in their division, and which is why what's been reporting make no sense

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LTS said:

Your second line is uselessly vague. They were a cup contender last year, and in the last two games against SJ were playing the best team hockey I think I've seen in the Stanley Cup Playoffs since the 2007-08 Red Wings. Had they not been shafted by that major call which wasn't even a 2 minute minor upon review, a situation that was so bad they literally changed the rules so it doesn't happen again, they would have won multiple playoff series. He's a really good coach. William Karlsson doesn't come to Buffalo in 2017-18 and score 40 goals and turn into the player he did. 

He's only proven nothing if you squint at the standings from far away and don't let yourself learn anything more about his career.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

In game 7. To the team that made the conference final and lost to the eventual Cup winner. And you said it yourself, Florida has only gotten worse since he was fired. I agree he wouldn't fix what ails the Sabres, but you're out to lunch on your assessment of him as a coach. 

Yeah, I remember when Babcock was our lord and saviour as well.  How about McLellan?  There is a truth to "just make a change, because the next coach can make Evan Rodrigues an all-star" mentality.. it doesn't work that way.  Too much value in coaches... too much.

I'm hardly out to lunch. I'm not saying he's terrible. I'm asking if he's really as good as people think he is... because he's not proven much to me.  His history certainly doesn't dictate it.

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Your second line is uselessly vague. They were a cup contender last year, and in the last two games against SJ were playing the best team hockey I think I've seen in the Stanley Cup Playoffs since the 2007-08 Red Wings. Had they not been shafted by that major call which wasn't even a 2 minute minor upon review, they would have won multiple playoff series. He's a really good coach. William Karlsson doesn't come to Buffalo in 2017-18 and score 40 goals and turn into the player he did. 

He's only proven nothing if you squint at the standings from far away and don't let yourself learn anything more about his career.

It was a slight typo.

First year - cup final. That team had no worries. No expectations and they played that way. It was predicted reality would set in.. it did.

Second year - circumstances.. they lost.  So be it. You can't project past there, because they lost.  You can try, but they lost.  What else do you want?  My kid comes home from his games some nights and tells me "We should have beat that team."  My response?  "You didn't.  So apparently should doesn't give a damn about what you think."  It is a result oriented game.

Third year - they are not winning.

My point is not that he's a bad coach.  It's that a coach does not make a team great.  So, don't overvalue a coaches ability to turn a team around.  It takes talent and coaching, and mostly talent.

This is why McLellan has not made a difference in Los Angeles
This is why Babcock was not the saviour he made out to be.
This is why Gallant ain't as amazing as people think.
This is why Laviolette isn't going to change things.
This is why _________ won't make Buffalo better than they are right now.

I don't think Vegas should have fired him, but that does not mean the Sabres should hire him to replace what they have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.