Gerald Gallant Fired by Vegas

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I dunno, it seems to point to the speculation there are non-hockey reasons for the move. 

I feel like non-hockey reasons would lead to an interim head coach.  Hiring DeBoer immediately goes against that.  It seems like a case where the team has stagnated a bit all while there's a guy available who you really like.  I could see someone describing that as non-hockey reasons though, so is that something you were suggesting?

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like non-hockey reasons would lead to an interim head coach.  Hiring DeBoer immediately goes against that.  It seems like a case where the team has stagnated a bit all while there's a guy available who you really like.  I could see someone describing that as non-hockey reasons though, so is that something you were suggesting?

I'm catching up and made that post before I saw the DeBoer hiring. Reminds me of when Montreal hired Julien...a guy came available the wanted and made the move. 

That said, I still don't think it makes any sense. There's no evidence DeBoer is a better coach than Gallant. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

The last Flames game before Bill Peters got fired was against Buffalo.  I have no idea if he was behind the bench or not.  I guess technically we could count that one. 

IIRC, Peters didn't coach that game. They had someone else behind the bench (I forgot who) since Peters was already under investigation by the NHL. I think it was after that game that Peters tendered his resignation.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I'm catching up and made that post before I saw the DeBoer hiring. Reminds me of when Montreal hired Julien...a guy came available the wanted and made the move. 

That said, I still don't think it makes any sense. There's no evidence DeBoer is a better coach than Gallant. 

If I had to pick two coaches to lump together as almost identical to each other it'd probably be those two

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I'd bring in Gallant. 

Las Vegas is crazy. They took a page from Florida. Got rid of Gallant way too early. I'm sorry, DeBoer is the improvement????? I'm betting not!!! DeBoer is one guy I never want to see behind the Sabres bench. But nice to know Gerard is available once again. I wonder if there is more to this as he took them to the damn Cup finals in their inaugural season. Wow, seriously a "what have you done for me lately"? league. This guy is a good coach.

This is an outrageous move and this is not right. The Knights are at the top in almost all categories or very close to the top aside from save percentage and shooting percentage. Not much a coach can do in regards to saves and scoring.

I think it’s a terrible move and to replace him with the hated Deboer is even worse. Terrible decision. Imagine being 3 out of first and firing coach? Amazing 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Something else must have happened because yeah, there's no reason to fire Gallant for his performance there.

In total agreement with you. I'm betting something else went on. Maybe he too, is kind of abusive as a coach and #### was going to hit the fan shortly. Time will tell. Gerard can be an intense kind of guy. I like him as  a coach but who knows? Can't believe it's because ownership thinks his performance is lacking.

This is just dumb.  No way he lost the locker room is just a couple of season, especially successful ones.  

Just Wow!  "this is performance based"  What a bunch of crap.  There has to be something about him behind the scenes.  Maybe he is hanging out with Bobby Petrino or enjoying to much of the LV nightlife. Something doesn't smell right here.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I happen to like this. Hold high standards.

It's a ***** or get off the pot environment 8n Vegas, and it appears to work. To bad the Sabres organization doesn't have such an atmosphere.

The high standard of being 3 points out of first in your division? I mean... 

waka flocka ok GIF

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I happen to like this. Hold high standards.

It's a ***** or get off the pot environment 8n Vegas, and it appears to work. To bad the Sabres organization doesn't have such an atmosphere.

He's hit all of those standards lmao

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Let me list all the defenders under the age of 24 that have a shot at or are playing for Vegas...

Hague

Korczak

... that's it, that's the list. 

To expand on this, let's up the age to 26. 

Hague, Korczak and Theodore

Now let's apply the same thing to Buffalo...

Risto, Montour, Pilut, Jokiharju, Dahlin, Bryson, Borgen, Johnson, Samuelsson, and Laaksonen. 

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay then, offer Gallant an assistant's position. Get him in the building.

I would do this. Make the money work and get him in. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

The high standard of being 3 points out of first in your division? I mean... 

waka flocka ok GIF

And oh look, it wasn't good enough.......

So yea, unless you have something more than speculative "what if's", it's been reported as performance based..........So......

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He's hit all of those standards lmao

Not according to a reported reason for his release.

3 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

And oh look, it wasn't good enough.......

So yea, unless you have something more than speculative "what if's", it's been reported as performance based..........So......

Idk how that isn't good enough. You aren't even a standard deviation away from first. 3 points is basically just 2 bad games. Every single NHL team in the league plays 2 bad games a year. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.