GDT - Tuesday, January 14th - Vegas Golden Knights @ Buffalo Sabres, 7pm ET (WGR/MSG)

LTS

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I have no idea, but I think he will want 8+, I think JBot will give him 7+, but I'm not sure I even want to give him 6.   More importantly I am reluctant to give him a no trade clause and/or long term. 

I wouldn't give anyone term without a consistent work ethic, and I don't see that in him to say the least. 

I would say he will probably fall right around $7M, but that the going rate for a good, top 6 player.

What concerns you about his work ethic?  He continues to improve his game year after year.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

sci fi horror GIF by Warner Archive

It's like trying to determine who the sucker is in the room.  If after 5 minutes, you can't figure it out, you're the sucker. In this case. I think THEM is US. 

I certainly don't want to tick off the mods. but this game day thread was the most fun of the season.

Go Sabres!!

Edited by Tondas

I missed the warning to not post the jiggly stuff.  My bad. I will comply fully in future. 

Ok, back to Reinhart.  I do recall he had a few shits at center.  He did not impress at that position.  

Edited by Pimlach

5 hours ago, SDS said:

This is what they look like (actual screen shot). Then I have to log in, see what the violation is, make corrective action, and request a review. 

image.png

What a complete pain in the neck.  Thanks for all you do to host us.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Curt said:

What concerns you about his work ethic?  He continues to improve his game year after year.

Just my observations over the years and I'm not alone. It's clear he is a polarizing figure and some consider him a talented forward and others an inconsistent player who is often too soft and often takes shifts (or games) off. Or at least doesn't give that extra effort. Won't take the hit, won't dig for the puck, get physical. This debate is likely eternal. I'd prefer a guy who everyone agrees gives it his all every night.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I missed the warning to not post the jiggly stuff.  My bad. I will comply fully in future. 

Ok, back to Reinhart.  I do recall he had a few shits at center.  He did not impress at that position.  

A few shits at center. That must have been awkward what with everyone watching and all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The amount of Reinhart hate has reached hysterical proportions. If I hadn't watched him play I'd be convinced he's a Cody Franson level skater, with Andrew Peter's puck handling skills, Alex Nylanders on ice work ethic, and Grogorenko level impact on the game. Basically he's being described as a garbage player riding Eichels coattails and bringing nothing much else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The amount of Reinhart hate has reached hysterical proportions. If I hadn't watched him play I'd be convinced he's a Cody Franson level skater, with Andrew Peter's puck handling skills, Alex Nylanders on ice work ethic, and Grogorenko level impact on the game. Basically he's being described as a garbage player riding Eichels coattails and bringing nothing much else. 

When I see posters say he “skates slow” or “skates poorly”, I can’t help but think of this gif. Agenda gonna agenda. And deny gonna deny.

VeneratedFinishedHake-size_restricted.gi

No need to spit out the same takes and stats that show Reinhart is far from an issue or a problem. As others plainly laid out.  What’s weird is how the mistakes are pointed out during games, but if he makes a great play, pass, goal etc ... it’s ignored by those same posters sometimes. It’s a shame really. Hmmm ... what would that action be called? I can’t quite think of the word. It’s on the tip of my tongue. ? 

He’s a quietly productive player. One of the if not the best passer on the team. And a smart team will sign him to a contract that gets him to 30. And like almost every contract signed nowadays,  he’ll be overpaid. Some fans will hate it. And the criticism will reach a fever pitch for years and years. Because like most players, they never quite “earn” all those millions. Today’s NHL. And I’m certainly not saying he doesn’t make mistakes. But so does every player. It’s nothing unique or extreme in that regard. But, like you said, and I agree, you’d think it was and his talent is subpar.

4 hours ago, Zamboni said:

When I see posters say he “skates slow” or “skates poorly”, I can’t help but think of this gif. Agenda gonna agenda. And deny gonna deny.

VeneratedFinishedHake-size_restricted.gi

No need to spit out the same takes and stats that show Reinhart is far from an issue or a problem. As others plainly laid out.  What’s weird is how the mistakes are pointed out during games, but if he makes a great play, pass, goal etc ... it’s ignored by those same posters sometimes. It’s a shame really. Hmmm ... what would that action be called? I can’t quite think of the word. It’s on the tip of my tongue. ? 

He’s a quietly productive player. One of the if not the best passer on the team. And a smart team will sign him to a contract that gets him to 30. And like almost every contract signed nowadays,  he’ll be overpaid. Some fans will hate it. And the criticism will reach a fever pitch for years and years. Because like most players, they never quite “earn” all those millions. Today’s NHL. And I’m certainly not saying he doesn’t make mistakes. But so does every player. It’s nothing unique or extreme in that regard. But, like you said, and I agree, you’d think it was and his talent is subpar.

What I find amusing is there’s plenty of posters who were fine with signing Skinner to a $9m but refuse to pay Sam more than $6m. Sam is by far the more complete player. 

On 1/15/2020 at 1:32 AM, pi2000 said:

pffttt he made a 10ft area pass on a breakout every peewee player and up should be capable of making.

So you feel pretty confident that Lazar, Okposo, Sheary, or Vesey would have made the same pass just as well to spring the 2 on 1???

42 minutes ago, #freejame said:

What I find amusing is there’s plenty of posters who were fine with signing Skinner to a $9m but refuse to pay Sam more than $6m. Sam is by far the more complete player. 

Well, Reinhart doesn’t dipsy doodle, and do sick deeks and double Lutz so he’s obviously a worse player.

And Sam should be pulled away from Eichel and put on a different line to see how good he is before signing him. You know, the same thing that they did to Skinner before signing him. 
Oh wait ...

Edited by Zamboni

The other thing I want to say because it gets ignored. First, Sam receives passes very well. How often does he whiff or it jumps his stick or he can't handle the pass? Second, how many times during the game do I hear "oh man Zemgus, Larsson, Risto, Bogo, Lazar, etc... missed an open net, you gotta cash that!" now think about how many times that occurs with Reinhart. Just some more food for thought. 

16 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

At times, in some games, on some shifts, any or all of this is true.

Here's how I see Reinhart. Raised from birth to be a hockey player. Taught well, gifted DNA, told from day 1 he would grow up to be an nhl star. Success comes. He has an incredible life all through his childhood, school years, junior, and gets the red carpet treatment as he's drafted. The perfect life and the envy of all. But with all that comes a personality that doesn't have to struggle, doesn't have to work hard, doesn't take the lumps and bruises and sees no reason why he should. This season we've finally seen Eichel step up and grab the reins and give it his all at times trying to tip the scales when needed. Sam? He just laces up and says I'm here, I'm great, why sweat?

There's a reason he never gets banged up or injured. I will never be sold on this guy until I see him diving for a loose puck, digging in, taking the hit, giving the hit. Playing with a little fire and attitude. The soft just show up on the ice attitude can be infectious and it's a bad bad thing. 

Now go ahead and tell me how great his advanced stats are etc etc etc......................to infinity and beyond.

Edited by PerreaultForever

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Here's how I see Reinhart. Raised from birth to be a hockey player. Taught well, gifted DNA, told from day 1 he would grow up to be an nhl star. Success comes. He has an incredible life all through his childhood, school years, junior, and gets the red carpet treatment as he's drafted. The perfect life and the envy of all. But with all that comes a personality that doesn't have to struggle, doesn't have to work hard, doesn't take the lumps and bruises and sees no reason why he should. This season we've finally seen Eichel step up and grab the reins and give it has all at times trying to tip the scales when needed. Sam? He just laces up and says I'm here, I'm great, why sweat?

There's a reason he never gets banged up or injured. I will never be sold on this guy until I see him diving for a loose puck, digging in, taking the hit, giving the hit. Playing with a little fire and attitude. The soft just show up on the ice attitude can be infectious and it's a bad bad thing. 

Now go ahead and tell me how great his advanced stats are etc etc etc......................to infinity and beyond.

We watch different games. 90% of NHLers don't throw checks the way you want them to anymore, and Reinhart does the bulk of his work on the boards being pinned by guys, the definition of modern "grinding" hockey. He's the only guy that goes to the netfront as well, and I've seen him score goals while being hurt by being in that area, like his first goal of the season last year. His reliability isn't a symptom, it's an asset. 

The rest of the stuff you said is made up, to paint a pretty story line. It's useless

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Here's how I see Reinhart. Raised from birth to be a hockey player. Taught well, gifted DNA, told from day 1 he would grow up to be an nhl star. Success comes. He has an incredible life all through his childhood, school years, junior, and gets the red carpet treatment as he's drafted. The perfect life and the envy of all. But with all that comes a personality that doesn't have to struggle, doesn't have to work hard, doesn't take the lumps and bruises and sees no reason why he should. This season we've finally seen Eichel step up and grab the reins and give it his all at times trying to tip the scales when needed. Sam? He just laces up and says I'm here, I'm great, why sweat?

Yes, there's a reason he rarely winds up injured: he's Paul Reinhart's kid.  Though short, that guy was stout and played at least 74 games 5 times and at least 62 another 3 in an 11 year career in a much more physical league.

This guy spends 90% of his time along the boards or in front of the net.  The reason people give him flack for getting knocked down is because he gets hit there- especially along the boards.  The next game he throws 3 checks will be his 1st (that's not his game), but he does go to the dirty areas.

8 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

We watch different games.

Clearly we do. Aside from the Sabres I watch a lot of St. Louis, Boston, Washington, Colorado, seen some Philly games, Winnipeg, Tampa, a few others. Teams that win throw those checks when the time is right. They bang loose pucks in from the front. Ever wonder why our coaches are always looking at the ipads for possible goaltending interference but nobody almost ever asks for one when we score? Cause we don't do that and we don't score. Remember the playoffs from last year? No thrown checks? Really? 

You watch the top teams a little more and they most definitely do not play the way you say. Guys like Pasternak and Konecney throw massive hits at times and they are top line players and aren't bigger than Sam. Stop watching the Leafs and soft hockey and watch a little of what wins. 

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

but he does go to the dirty areas.

No he doesn't. He goes to the margins and the edges of the dirty areas but backs off if things get hard or tough. Watch closer. 

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Your description of Reinhart here is total bull. He's improved each year via hard work and you think this. He's improved every aspect of his game by working on it. What a joke. 

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Clearly we do. Aside from the Sabres I watch a lot of St. Louis, Boston, Washington, Colorado, seen some Philly games, Winnipeg, Tampa, a few others. Teams that win throw those checks when the time is right. They bang loose pucks in from the front. Ever wonder why our coaches are always looking at the ipads for possible goaltending interference but nobody almost ever asks for one when we score? Cause we don't do that and we don't score. Remember the playoffs from last year? No thrown checks? Really? 

You watch the top teams a little more and they most definitely do not play the way you say. Guys like Pasternak and Konecney throw massive hits at times and they are top line players and aren't bigger than Sam. Stop watching the Leafs and soft hockey and watch a little of what wins. 

No he doesn't. He goes to the margins and the edges of the dirty areas but backs off if things get hard or tough. Watch closer. 

Would you trade Reinhart straight up for Kapanen?

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, he does.  He doesn't fly into those areas the way a Bertuzzi would but he gets there.

And to criticize him for not being a bruiser is accurate but to a large degree irrelevant.  That's not his game; never was; and never will be.  But he does get pucks along the boards and maintains control of them there.  He's just outside the blue paint getting deflections and rebounds.  It would be more fun to watch him if he was a proverbial bull in a China shop, but he is effective at what he does and is a bonafide 1st liner.

• Like (+1) 1

Sams “fault” is he doesn’t have a flashy, dynamic game.  That description can be used to describe a power forward or a Mogilny.  Sam is neither.  His game is more controlled. Maybe even dull.

I think we’d think alot better about Sam if we had a good 2nd line and the first line wasn’t so exposed.

I also think that there is value in exploring if another style player wouldn’t be more beneficial to the team overall.  But, Sam is pretty damned good and we’d need to make sure we don’t take a step backwards in that change, which is a very distinct possibility.

I don’t recall another Sabre who is so under appreciated by some and over appreciated by others at the same time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.