GDT Sunday January 12th Sabres at Detroit 5pm MSG, WGR

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, inkman said:

To what end. The owners are measured on success.  Which includes sales.  To date, those haven't suffered. Until they do, the trial will be postponed. 

I can promise you sales have suffered as the number of empty seats has increased. Those missing fannies aren't buying food, drink, merch etc.

55 minutes ago, Curt said:

“But Pegula is the owner.  Who are we to question his decision making?  What do we know about owning a team?”

That’s basically the same logic that you are applying to the on ice performance.  From my point of view.

I didn't make up any bogus stats about the owner. Think about what Expected Goals is. Somebody charts where the shots are coming from and determines there was x% chance of that shot going in from that precise location on the ice. Today, at least, those shots added up to the result that the Sabres were "supposed" to score .56 goals at 5 on 5. They scored two. So they played a "*****" game and the win is therefore not sustainable. The goals, I suppose, were "lucky."

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I didn't make up any bogus stats about the owner. Think about what Expected Goals is. Somebody charts where the shots are coming from and determines there was x% chance of that shot going in from that precise location on the ice. Today, at least, those shots added up to the result that the Sabres were "supposed" to score .56 goals at 5 on 5. They scored two. So they played a "*****" game and the win is therefore not sustainable. The goals, I suppose, were "lucky."

1) I know what expected goals are.

2) My comment was not about expected goals.  It was about the view point you expressed.  “They won, so let’s leave any discussion or criticism about how they played to the professionals.”  If you don’t agree, it’s fine, but people are here to talk about stuff.  

Edited by Curt

3 hours ago, Tondas said:

I never met him but he lived right at the Colvin Blvd exit at the 190 across from the whale car wash.  Every time I took that exit, I thought of Frank.

Yes he did.  I lived in a neighborhood off of that Colvin Exit (From The 290 aka The Youngman”), towards Ken East.  

Edited by Pimlach

47 minutes ago, Curt said:

2) My comment was not about expected goals.  It was about the view point you expressed.  “They won, so let’s leave any discussion or criticism about how they played to the professionals.”  If you don’t agree, it’s fine, but people are here to talk about stuff.  

No. I meant let's leave the analytics to the pros. I'd also leave them out of the GDT while the game is on. IMO there's very little appetite for it. As for tonight... we have so little. Can't we have something nice? I know. I should blame Erod and Bogo for scoring when they shouldn't have.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

No. I meant let's leave the analytics to the pros. I'd also leave them out of the GDT while the game is on. IMO there's very little appetite for it. As for tonight... we have so little. Can't we have something nice? I know. I should blame Erod and Bogo for scoring when they shouldn't have.

That's just funny.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

To what end. The owners are measured on success.  Which includes sales.  To date, those haven't suffered. Until they do, the trial will be postponed. 

Unless we are playing a marquee team there are thousands of empty seats at every game. When Pegula took over there was literally a waiting list for season tickets and through sheer stupidity and incompetence those days are long gone. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

Unless we are playing a marquee team there are thousands of empty seats at every game. When Pegula took over there was literally a waiting list for season tickets and through sheer stupidity and incompetence those days are long gone. 

Empty seats, yes but we're they paid for? I understand concessions and the like will be lower with less Fannie's in the seats but how much is that affecting the bottom line?  I legit don't know. 

11 hours ago, Curt said:

Exactly my thought as well. 

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

We should just leave talking about the team to the pros. Sabrespace should just be threads about how nice Reinharts hair is and how funny skinner is. 

What? What does this even mean? This is exactly what happened in 2018 during the streak. Some of us were like... oh man idk this seems questionable and then got told to shut up. That is essential what you are doing. You don't like what was said so you want us to shut up. 

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Exactly my thought as well. 

We should just leave talking about the team to the pros. Sabrespace should just be threads about how nice Reinharts hair is and how funny skinner is. 

But Sam's smile isn't genuine. I worry he's not really happy when he should have every reason to be so.

After the Shero firing, I found myself thinking that a game against New Jersey right now would do a lot right now for my game viewing enjoyment.  I guess Detroit doesn't hurt either (even with the poor 2nd period).

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Sam is now 24! That kind of shocked me to see. He will always be that 19 year old kid to me, lol 

The older you get, he stays the same age?

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, sabremike said:

Partially false ...

Yes the waiting list was longer and people hung onto their seats more. But ...

I’m a STH and I know for a fact that the waiting list is around 2,000 deep as of 1/12/2020.

17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Partially false ...

Yes the waiting list was longer and people hung onto their seats more. But ...

I’m a STH and I know for a fact that the waiting list is around 2,000 deep as of 1/12/2020.

What are they waiting for? Aren't season tickets available?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

What are they waiting for? Aren't season tickets available?

Every summer, they “get thru” most of the list (offering tickets to those on the list). The issue is timing and or preference. 
They may call most of those on the list, but maybe at that time a good chunk of fans can’t afford it so they ask to stay on the list and ask them next season. Or the location of the seats isn’t what they prefer, so again, ask to remain on the list in case better preferred seats become available.
I bet a majority of that list falls under those two categories. The rest of that list buy the seats that are available to them. And believe it or not, people are still calling to get on the list so the list has stayed around 2,000 for the past 3-4 years. Before that the list was around 3,000 but more fans hung onto their seats longer. Not as much turn around as there is currently.

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

At least we beat the awful teams that we should.  Huge upgrade from last year.

And we are very competitive against middle of the standing's  teams ,  and we have upset good teams in games where even stats guys will point out stats that say we where better of the teams that night and it wasn't just a fluke win.

They have turtled yet for the season unlike last year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.