GDT Sat 11th January. Sabres V Canucks 1pm ET

steveoath

3 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Actually he's 4th, and tied for 8th in 5v5 points.  But you know who was first on his team in total points, his rookie season (when he was 20 years old when it finished)?  Dennis Potvin.

Sorry I meant leads defenders. He's first for the Sabres defense. Also with how bad our pp has been, I'm not worried about where he is in only 5v5 scoring. I need him to be a pp point guy as well. 

Idc about Potvin. It was a different era entirely. 

For the record, Dahlin will be 19 when this season ends. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I mean the dalton comment was good old joking. 

As to the rest, honestly take a breath. I mean that in a good way. Dahlin is good, it's just hard to see it right now with how bad we are. I have to take a deep breath sometimes when I see this team because they do lack heart. Its *****. 

Now botterill is 1 of 2 ppl. 1 he's a dipshit who is not bad but also not good enough to move this team forward. Or 2, a subtle master with bigger plans just cautiously waiting. At this point I doubt 2 but he's definitely calculating and the Jokiharju trade was part of that. I flip flop on botterill. Frolic was meh but I don't think Scandella had much of a market, just like bogo. Idk I guess we'll know by july 2.

The Dalton comment WAS funny.   And I'm not a hater.   Of Dahlin, or any Sabre.  I want the rest of SabreSapce to know that while our team has struggled the last year and a half since the last time Vancouver was in town the narrative has changed; and while I acknowledge Dahlin will be great,  I am concerned about development whether its Risto, Mitts or Dahlin.  I agree with your assesment of JB.  But his swing and miss rate (even if smaller trades) is concerning me. 

37 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What does this mean?  They are 6 months apart and both drafted in 2018.  Hughes would not have been eligible to be drafted in 2017 when he was 17.   And he has one less year experience.    Rather than splitting hairs over draft year and calendar birthday, tell me why I should not have concerns that young defensemen like Makar, Girard, Hughes and Heiskenan are not developing faster.   Fair to say you would not expect better 5v5 from Risto in November of 2018 when that interview was given? 

The season age isn’t something that I made up.  It’s based on an age cut off date that determines what level players can play at from little kids all the way up through NCAA and CHL.  It’s the age listed by the season on hockey reference.  And 6 months can make a difference at these young ages.  

Risto and Dahlin actually have exactly the same ES ppg numbers right now, despite the fact that Risto is getting about 3 mins more ES ice time per game.  Dahlin missed 8 games with a concussion.

You want me to compare Dahlin to Makar, Girard, Hughes and Heiskenan?  Ok.

At Dahlin’s age:

Makar was at the beginning of his sophomore college season.  He was 6ish months from his NHL debut.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Girard was half way through his rookie season, where he put up 23 points in 73 games.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Hughes had played in 5 NHL games.  He looked pretty good.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Heiskenan had just finished his rookie year where he put up 33 pts in 82 games.  He was really good and finished 4th in Calder voting, behind some guy named Rasmus Dahlin.

What exactly Dahlin will do in the future, I can’t be sure, but he is better today than any of those guys were at his age.  I don’t know what you want from him.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Actually he's 4th, and tied for 8th in 5v5 points.  But you know who was first on his team in total points, his rookie season (when he was 20 years old when it finished)?  Dennis Potvin.

So Dahlin is pacing for a near identical total to Potvin but at 19 rather than 20. Ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Idc about Potvin. It was a different era entirely.

Agreed. Potvin''s 2nd season was 1974-75 when no defenseman watched video and the goalies stood up in tiny pads. There's no way to compare.

After some research, the Isles scored 264 goals that year. The Sabres haven't even come close to 264 since they shattered it in the 2006-07 (over 300 goals!) post-lockout free-skate season. And our top-scoring defenseman that season was Campbell with 48 points in 82 games. Dahlin will be fine. There's a lot else to worry about with this lineup than our kid defenseman.

Man that was some dreadful hockey.

I'm reading all this talk on Dahlin and feel I'm on another planet. He is far from the problem. Do not expect Dahlin to be his best until he is 22 or 23 years old. That is when he will be an all star, and he will. Look, Jack has only come into his own now and D men usually take longer. Give the kid a break.

On the other hand, Pilut is not the future. He was dreadful. Maybe not as bad as McCabe who was a flaming pile of crap but dreadful all the same. Bogo and Miller for all their iffy play are/were better than either of those 2 so wtf Krueger? And McCabe has a letter???

Hutton. Totally lost his game if he ever had it. He's a disaster.

But in fairness to Hutton he was hung out to dry a lot. Sabres shot blocking is at an all time low, clearing the front never happens, and (for example) what was Larsson doing in front other than screening him??? Bad team D or what.

I have to give props though to (some people's precious) Sam Reinhart. I have never in my 40 plus years of watching the Sabres seen anyone economize effort as well as he does. The lack of sweat must really save on the post game water bill. 

This team is a disgrace.

Oh and I forgot to mention, great team response (as usual) to a skill player (Johanson) getting elbowed in the face. No wonder they check out and quit. 

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Man that was some dreadful hockey.

I'm reading all this talk on Dahlin and feel I'm on another planet. He is far from the problem. Do not expect Dahlin to be his best until he is 22 or 23 years old. That is when he will be an all star, and he will. Look, Jack has only come into his own now and D men usually take longer. Give the kid a break.

On the other hand, Pilut is not the future. He was dreadful. Maybe not as bad as McCabe who was a flaming pile of crap but dreadful all the same. Bogo and Miller for all their iffy play are/were better than either of those 2 so wtf Krueger? And McCabe has a letter???

Hutton. Totally lost his game if he ever had it. He's a disaster.

But in fairness to Hutton he was hung out to dry a lot. Sabres shot blocking is at an all time low, clearing the front never happens, and (for example) what was Larsson doing in front other than screening him??? Bad team D or what.

I have to give props though to (some people's precious) Sam Reinhart. I have never in my 40 plus years of watching the Sabres seen anyone economize effort as well as he does. The lack of sweat must really save on the post game water bill. 

This team is a disgrace.

Oh and I forgot to mention, great team response (as usual) to a skill player (Johanson) getting elbowed in the face. No wonder they check out and quit. 

Johansson embellished.  They should have been embarassed by him.  He also stood right next to Jay Beagle as he gave Dahlin a mugging and did diddly squat.  The team has no spine.  Couple that with a crap ton of bad players and this is what you get.  

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

Johansson embellished.  They should have been embarassed by him.  He also stood right next to Jay Beagle as he gave Dahlin a mugging and did diddly squat.  The team has no spine.  Couple that with a crap ton of bad players and this is what you get.  

Yup, maybe he did embellish but that doesn't change it. You have a guy with a concussion history getting a shot to the head and being down on the ice. Players on the ice should instinctively react to that, but on this team it's every man for himself. This is not a team, it's a collection of overpaid lazy bums. 

• Like (+1) 1

Starting to think Botts plan for this season all along was to progress a little bit further again from last year but likely still miss playoffs and then work with the cap space to put things in place with a view to making playoffs in 20-21. I am beginning to seriously doubt if he is capable of doing this and his lack of trade activity is another massive frustration. Still can't believe why he brought a lot of last year's players back. Girgensons and Larsson need a fresh start elsewhere. Please Botts give them that. 

So frustrated and angry with this team!!!

19 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

Starting to think Botts plan for this season all along was to progress a little bit further again from last year but likely still miss playoffs and then work with the cap space to put things in place with a view to making playoffs in 20-21. I am beginning to seriously doubt if he is capable of doing this and his lack of trade activity is another massive frustration. Still can't believe why he brought a lot of last year's players back. Girgensons and Larsson need a fresh start elsewhere. Please Botts give them that. 

So frustrated and angry with this team!!!

So the plan was to use Mittlestadt and not get a real 2C to assure we miss the playoffs? I really don't think so. I do think there was a quiet tank to get Dahlin but I think with the Skinner signing and a new coach the hope was to compete for the playoffs this year. Not necessarily to make them, but to be in the race until the last month or close to the end. Jokiharju was likely projected as a next year guy (hence Miller) but JBot believed he picked well in Mitts and the eventual plan was Jack, Mitts, Cozens, Larsson or an equivalent as your 4 centers. Hutton and Ullmark were likely supposed to split the year and Montour and Dahlin were likely projected to be big offensive threats. Grit wasn't really in his equation but we were supposed to be all fast and furious. I do not believe this year was planned failure, but I do believe it is failure at that. 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

So the plan was to use Mittlestadt and not get a real 2C to assure we miss the playoffs? I really don't think so. I do think there was a quiet tank to get Dahlin but I think with the Skinner signing and a new coach the hope was to compete for the playoffs this year. Not necessarily to make them, but to be in the race until the last month or close to the end. Jokiharju was likely projected as a next year guy (hence Miller) but JBot believed he picked well in Mitts and the eventual plan was Jack, Mitts, Cozens, Larsson or an equivalent as your 4 centers. Hutton and Ullmark were likely supposed to split the year and Montour and Dahlin were likely projected to be big offensive threats. Grit wasn't really in his equation but we were supposed to be all fast and furious. I do not believe this year was planned failure, but I do believe it is failure at that. 

Certainly feels like it is turning out to be a failure. Doesn't help though Skinner and ollofson still out, will be interesting to see what Krueger does with Skinner as he is expected back first and if he puts him on jack's left?

9 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Potvin had 21 goals and 76 points his second year.  And 31/98 points his third.  

If I asked you at the beginning of the year which Rasmus would have more 5v5 points, more goals, more 5v5 goals, better +/- which one would you have said?  Are you satisfied with the growth you have seen in year two?   

Dahlin has gone into a dark place and I don't like the look of it.  He needs more confidence.

Watch how little he attacks the net with the puck.  He was doing much more of that his first couple months in the league.

20 hours ago, Thorny said:

Also I blame @Taro T for this for his earlier prediction of a win today 

Had they started Ullmark, they would've won.

This game was doomed when the decision to start Hutton was made.  Really don't understand why Bales didn't wait until today to give him an opportunity to embarrass himself again.  Hope he enjoys Ra-cha-cha.  He should be there by Monday at the latest.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The thing with Hutton is where his head is at. After goals he's looking at teammates, staring a hole in some ad on the end boards. He's done. We'll probably hear the whole, self-serving story after the season.

It's definitely in his head.  But there was absolutely no reason to start him yesterday.  Vancouver has a few good scorers.  Detroit has ... Larkin.  Should've gotten the start today simply because Ullmark can't play them all.

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had they started Ullmark, they would've won.

This game was doomed when the decision to start Hutton was made.  Really don't understand why Bales didn't wait until today to give him an opportunity to embarrass himself again.  Hope he enjoys Ra-cha-cha.  He should be there by Monday at the latest.

The blind leading the blind... goaltender.

I just now checked into the results of this game.   We are on the path to be out of contention by the break.  Sad.  

Yesterday I had a memorial service for a friend that took all of my day and all of my thoughts and energy.   

Was it:  Bad effort?  Little talent?  Mental mistakes?   All of the above?  

13 hours ago, Curt said:

The season age isn’t something that I made up.  It’s based on an age cut off date that determines what level players can play at from little kids all the way up through NCAA and CHL.  It’s the age listed by the season on hockey reference.  And 6 months can make a difference at these young ages.  

Risto and Dahlin actually have exactly the same ES ppg numbers right now, despite the fact that Risto is getting about 3 mins more ES ice time per game.  Dahlin missed 8 games with a concussion.

You want me to compare Dahlin to Makar, Girard, Hughes and Heiskenan?  Ok.

At Dahlin’s age:

Makar was at the beginning of his sophomore college season.  He was 6ish months from his NHL debut.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Girard was half way through his rookie season, where he put up 23 points in 73 games.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Hughes had played in 5 NHL games.  He looked pretty good.  Dahlin has done more to date.

Heiskenan had just finished his rookie year where he put up 33 pts in 82 games.  He was really good and finished 4th in Calder voting, behind some guy named Rasmus Dahlin.

What exactly Dahlin will do in the future, I can’t be sure, but he is better today than any of those guys were at his age.  I don’t know what you want from him.

I think some people expected Bobby Orr.  A player who comes in at 18 and controls the play on the ice almost everytime he is on it.  

Bobby Orr was the greatest defenseman ever, and one of the top 3 - maybe top 2 - arguably even top 1 players ever.  Dahlin is not that.  Different game.  Different era.  

Any comparison to Potvin is invalid.  Potvin had strong defensive skills first, and good size, and the old school toughness of that era.  His offensive output was icing on the cake.  

Edited by Pimlach

17 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

Certainly feels like it is turning out to be a failure. Doesn't help though Skinner and ollofson still out, will be interesting to see what Krueger does with Skinner as he is expected back first and if he puts him on jack's left?

I certainly would. Skinner wasn't good before the injury and he needs to get going so why not try it? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.