GDT Sat 11th January. Sabres V Canucks 1pm ET

steveoath

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

He is a 19 year old defenseman.  How many 19 year old defenseman are even in the NHL?  How many are the highest scoring D on their team?

Is there even any D in the NHL who was better at 19 than Dahlin is now?

Quinn Hughes, who we just saw today is the same age has more points in total, and points per game.   He is also leading leading Defenders in scoring on the Canucks.  

@Thorny and @Curt  For the record, I am not down on Ramus.  Just making an observation about the narrative change from November 2018 to January 2020.   Specific to two Swedish rookies.   Petersson was viewed as secondary to Dahlin and while one year older,  (but the same NHL experience) Petersson has blossomed into a superstar, ranking 14th overall in scoring.   Not just  21 year olds.   Yes, a different position , and it takes more time to mature notwithstanding.  The narrative was that Rasmus was the next Dennis Potvin.  This has not manifested.   Whereas Petersson drafted lower and with lowered expectations has flourished.   Just an observation. 

31 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Quinn Hughes, who we just saw today is the same age has more points in total, and points per game.   He is also leading leading Defenders in scoring on the Canucks.  

@Thorny and @Curt  For the record, I am not down on Ramus.  Just making an observation about the narrative change from November 2018 to January 2020.   Specific to two Swedish rookies.   Petersson was viewed as secondary to Dahlin and while one year older,  (but the same NHL experience) Petersson has blossomed into a superstar, ranking 14th overall in scoring.   Not just  21 year olds.   Yes, a different position , and it takes more time to mature notwithstanding.  The narrative was that Rasmus was the next Dennis Potvin.  This has not manifested.   Whereas Petersson drafted lower and with lowered expectations has flourished.   Just an observation. 

You want something to manifest in a time period drastically shorter than the one in which the original player manifested. 

When Denis Potvin was Dahlin’s age he was playing in the OHA. Denis Potivin at 19 wasn’t “Hall of famer Denis Potvin”. 

If we were expecting Dahlin at 19 to be Hall of famer Denis Potvin then we were really expecting his prime to be Denis Potvin++ which I don’t think was a projection anyone was making.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Zamboni said:

If he’s serious with that comment, he’s not the only one.... I think 3-4 key effective trades would propel this team immensely. 
Look at the players who are UFA’s coming off the books most likely. That turnover is half the battle right there IMO. 

Yup.

That said if they bring back both Larsson and Girgensons then my head will explode.

There's an old saying in Tennessee...

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

You want something to manifest in a time period drastically shorter than the one in which the original player manifested. 

Potvin had 21 goals and 76 points his second year.  And 31/98 points his third.  

If I asked you at the beginning of the year which Rasmus would have more 5v5 points, more goals, more 5v5 goals, better +/- which one would you have said?  Are you satisfied with the growth you have seen in year two?   

10 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Potvin had 21 goals and 76 points his second year.  And 31/98 points his third.  

If I asked you at the beginning of the year which Rasmus would have more 5v5 points, more goals, more 5v5 goals, better +/- which one would you have said?  Are you satisfied with the growth you have seen in year two?   

See edit. Potvin was not 18 when he entered the league.

As for your question, thus far: yes. 

And I’m not saying Dahlin is going to be Denis Potvin, a top, what, 3 d-man of all time? There were plenty of reasonable projections that were really high on him that didn’t put that expectation on him. 

Compare him to Hedman year 2. Dahlin is one point short of his season total...after 37 games played. And Hedman was not anything to write home about defensively at that stage, either. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, Indabuff said:

The kick in the dick is the fact that he's supposed to be some cap guru, no?  I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of this organization but I can confidently say that watching this team is masochism.  

The real kick in the nuts is they have no cap space.

It's remarkable that you could spend to the cap and still field a bottom 5 team... That takes a serious concentrated effort of mind numbing stupidity. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Curt said:

Vancouver is in the middle of a 5 game road trip.  They have been out scored 14-4 in the first 2 games.

Im predicting a 3-1 Sabre’s win this afternoon.  Goals by Okposo, Reinhart  and Ike with the EN.

Sabres are the ultimate slump busters.

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Quinn Hughes is not the same age or in the same age year.  He is 20 and in his age 20 season.

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

You haven't figured it out yet, have you?

This draft doesn't mean *****. The entire roster except Eichel is garbage. Including Dahlin. I mean, really man, that's just complete honesty. By the time your precious draft picks come of age, Eichel will be long gone. And the losing culture will continue because Pegula doesn't have a clue what he is doing. That is based on plenty of precedence already.

Honestly, i couldn't care less about the draft or the team. It's over for me until they figure it out. I didn't even know they had a game today. Nobody knows what the answers are, nobody

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

If I had any thoughts of Frolik actually contributing to the success of this team, it’s now gone.  I know a fourth is low risk, but just below expectations in both talent and effort. Another miss.  

What about Dalton Smith? Asking 4 a friend

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

Quinn Hughes is not the same age or in the same age year.  He is 20 and in his age 20 season.

.02 difference between them this season so far. .70 v .68. Which pans out to 1 point over 82 games. And Dahlin has been "slumping" and Hughes is apparently the next coming. 

So, I agree. Let's let them settle in a bit. 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

When Denis Potvin was Dahlin’s age he was playing in the OHA. Denis Potivin at 19 wasn’t “Hall of famer Denis Potvin”. 

If we were expecting Dahlin at 19 to be Hall of famer Denis Potvin then we were really expecting his prime to be Denis Potvin++ which I don’t think was a projection anyone was making.

Also, Potvin turned 20 less than a month into his 1st season. He also had almost half his pts on PP.

6 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

You haven't figured it out yet, have you?

This draft doesn't mean *****. The entire roster except Eichel is garbage. Including Dahlin. I mean, really man, that's just complete honesty. By the time your precious draft picks come of age, Eichel will be long gone. And the losing culture will continue because Pegula doesn't have a clue what he is doing. That is based on plenty of precedence already.

Lol, the draft is everything. Unfortunately though we're bad at it. 

Sorry sorry. If I know anything about the draft I'd be paid so ignore me. Lol

For the record, Dahlin is tied for 16th this year in points per game for D. Sixteenth! At his age! So he's scoring at ~ the rate of the average Number 1 D man, at 19. That's really good. He's officially being undersold. 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

.02 difference between them this season so far. .70 v .68. Which pans out to 1 point over 82 games. And Dahlin has been "slumping" and Hughes is apparently the next coming. 

So, I agree. Let's let them settle in a bit. 

It's almost as if fans of of the Sabres have no perspective at all anymore. 

I bet they think nylander is better than Jokiharju tooo

Just now, Thorny said:

For the record, Dahlin is tied for 16th this year in points per game for D. Sixteenth! At his age! That's really good. He's officially being undersold. 

No man, he's trash. Elias Petterson is better. And is forward. And is older. And plays on a better team. And I like puppies. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No man, he's trash. Elias Petterson is better. And is forward. And is older. And plays on a better team. And I like puppies. 

Too many puppies with guns in their hands.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

For the record, Dahlin is tied for 16th this year in points per game for D. Sixteenth! At his age! So he's scoring at ~ the rate of the average Number 1 D man, at 19. That's really good. He's officially being undersold. 

Only by a vast vast vast minority of fans who don’t want to wait for development. Even though every player, yes even the best players in the league (let alone all others) aren’t the same player at 18 as they are at 20, 22, 24 etc ... some just want to call JG Wentworth (even if they won’t take the call) instead of waiting for the dividends to mature for years. ?

4 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

Too many puppies with guns in their hands.

They call you mrknowitall you are so eloquent. ??

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

What does this mean?  They are 6 months apart and both drafted in 2018.  Hughes would not have been eligible to be drafted in 2017 when he was 17.   And he has one less year experience.    Rather than splitting hairs over draft year and calendar birthday, tell me why I should not have concerns that young defensemen like Makar, Girard, Hughes and Heiskenan are not developing faster.   Fair to say you would not expect better 5v5 from Risto in November of 2018 when that interview was given? 

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

What does this mean?  They are 6 months apart and both drafted in 2018.  Hughes would not have been eligible to be drafted in 2017 when he was 17.   And he has one less year experience.    Rather than splitting hairs over draft year and calendar birthday, tell me why I should not have concerns that young defensemen like Makar, Girard, Hughes and Heiskenan are not developing faster.   Fair to say you would not expect better 5v5 from Risto in November of 2018 when that interview was given? 

It means Hughes turned 20 before his current NHL year, versus Dahlin who won't be there until next season. 6 months is huge for a 19 year old. 

Makar, Girard, and Heiskanen are all older, are they not? Just checked at yupppp. 

Also Dahlin leads his team in points. What do you want? Him to carry the defense on his back?

Edited by LGR4GM

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I was going to laugh at your Daltom comment, funny, but some of your comments like these are duchy.  Be better.    And be careful, if you continue your opinion that Joki is so much better than Nylander it implies JB actually won a trade,  and the masses won't like that.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

I was going to laugh at your Daltom comment, funny, but some of your comments like these are duchy.  Be better.    And be careful, if you continue your opinion that Joki is so much better than Nylander it implies JB actually won a trade,  and the masses won't like that.  

I mean the dalton comment was good old joking. 

As to the rest, honestly take a breath. I mean that in a good way. Dahlin is good, it's just hard to see it right now with how bad we are. I have to take a deep breath sometimes when I see this team because they do lack heart. Its *****. 

Now botterill is 1 of 2 ppl. 1 he's a dipshit who is not bad but also not good enough to move this team forward. Or 2, a subtle master with bigger plans just cautiously waiting. At this point I doubt 2 but he's definitely calculating and the Jokiharju trade was part of that. I flip flop on botterill. Frolic was meh but I don't think Scandella had much of a market, just like bogo. Idk I guess we'll know by july 2.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It means Hughes turned 20 before his current NHL year, versus Dahlin who won't be there until next season. 6 months is huge for a 19 year old. 

Makar, Girard, and Heiskanen are all older, are they not? Just checked at yupppp. 

Also Dahlin leads his team in points. What do you want? Him to carry the defense on his back?

Actually he's 4th, and tied for 8th in 5v5 points.  But you know who was first on his team in total points, his rookie season (when he was 20 years old when it finished)?  Dennis Potvin.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.