Patient fan waiting until 2021-2022

sweetlou

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

Again, this team lost it's top two scoring wingers... both 30g scorers.    No team can survive that, let alone a team who has little to no secondary scoring to begin with.     Not to say they're comparably players, but how good would Boston be without Marchand and Pastrnak?    

So let's not overreact by suggesting an overhaul of the roster just because they got manhandled by the defending Cup Champs on their own ice.    And without their two most product goal scoring wingers... .and with essentially a rookie goaltender.

So I'll say it again, the sky is not falling, get healthy, make a few tweaks and this team is not bad... maybe not playoff caliber, but close.

Worst thing JBOT could do right now is hit the panic button and throw the baby out with the bathwater.    Building through the draft and developing their prospects is the only solution.... which requires patience. 

That said, Sam Reinhart.   I keep him around if he takes 4-5mil/yr or a bridge deal.  Anything above 5.5m and I'm trading him.    He's a good player, but he's largely a passenger on Eichel's wing.   He's soft on pucks, falls down 5-6 times a game, turns pucks over, etc.  If the right deal comes along I'd trade him for a package that might add some scoring depth and maybe include a proven goaltender.  

Put Skinner back where he belongs next to Eichel.    I never understood JBOTs thought process there, you play him there during his contract year and then give him 9m/yr to play with a less productive centerman?    What?

Number 1 priority this offseason is finding a way to shed Okposo.... if that means trading some package of picks, etc... it would be worth it to get that contract off the books, even eat half the contract would be a step in the right direction.

Ullmark will get better, but he needs a proven veteran STARTING goaltender to mentor him... not a career backup.

I'm sorry but Larsson and Girgensons need to go.    They were poisoned by the tank, they need a fresh start elsewhere, and BUF needs guys with fresh attitudes to fill those roles, and who can chip in offensively and/or play more physical like a Ryan Reaves or Tom Wilson.    I don't think any team looks at the Larsson line (or any line on this team) and feels any amount of fear of getting physically manhandled in tight areas.

Larsson is good.  Watch his Sweden games.  Letting him go I think is a mistake.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment, but trading Okposo isn't going to happen I wouldn't make it any priority.  Just eat the cap hit and Moulson him if necessary.  Honestly, he has been far from any problem this year.

3 hours ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Botterill losing GA is like Johnson losing Cronkite. 

He hasn't completely lost me yet.  Deals like the Nylander for Jokiharju give me some hope and I did like the Montour and Skinner deals.  However, deals like Frolik drive me nuts when there are more important holes to fix.  

I think he needs to find at least one decent center now!  He can't wait until the deadline or this off-season.  Henrique or Bonino are on my list because they can score some and wins draws.  They have have reasonable contract term left.  He can find someone else, but he needs them now.

27 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If you have to give $5-6 million to an UFA to get a second line center, do you go after Granlund or JG Pageau?

Why do you think that Pageau could get a deal like that.  I think there is absolutely no way.  He is getting used like a 1st line C right now and he is going to put up like a 55 pt season with solid defense.  If he goes back to being a #3 or middle 6 C he is going to be putting up 30-40 points w solid D just as he has for years now and making $6M???

Between the two, give me Granlund.

4 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Again, this team lost it's top two scoring wingers... both 30g scorers.    No team can survive that, let alone a team who has little to no secondary scoring to begin with.     Not to say they're comparably players, but how good would Boston be without Marchand and Pastrnak?    

So let's not overreact by suggesting an overhaul of the roster just because they got manhandled by the defending Cup Champs on their own ice.    And without their two most product goal scoring wingers... .and with essentially a rookie goaltender.

So I'll say it again, the sky is not falling, get healthy, make a few tweaks and this team is not bad... maybe not playoff caliber, but close.

Worst thing JBOT could do right now is hit the panic button and throw the baby out with the bathwater.    Building through the draft and developing their prospects is the only solution.... which requires patience. 

That said, Sam Reinhart.   I keep him around if he takes 4-5mil/yr or a bridge deal.  Anything above 5.5m and I'm trading him.    He's a good player, but he's largely a passenger on Eichel's wing.   He's soft on pucks, falls down 5-6 times a game, turns pucks over, etc.  If the right deal comes along I'd trade him for a package that might add some scoring depth and maybe include a proven goaltender.  

Put Skinner back where he belongs next to Eichel.    I never understood JBOTs thought process there, you play him there during his contract year and then give him 9m/yr to play with a less productive centerman?    What?

Number 1 priority this offseason is finding a way to shed Okposo.... if that means trading some package of picks, etc... it would be worth it to get that contract off the books, even eat half the contract would be a step in the right direction.

Ullmark will get better, but he needs a proven veteran STARTING goaltender to mentor him... not a career backup.

I'm sorry but Larsson and Girgensons need to go.    They were poisoned by the tank, they need a fresh start elsewhere, and BUF needs guys with fresh attitudes to fill those roles, and who can chip in offensively and/or play more physical like a Ryan Reaves or Tom Wilson.    I don't think any team looks at the Larsson line (or any line on this team) and feels any amount of fear of getting physically manhandled in tight areas.

Nah, the #1 priority this offseason is the same as it was last summer: add a legitimate top 6 forward (or two). 

• Like (+1) 2

Saw this on espn's hockey portion of their site for bold 2nd half predictions for the season:

image.png.0fc47ffae730d7b709df68ebcb53c17e.png

What candidates for Pres above Botts that would either accept the position & be what we need is beyond me. RK i could see a few years down the road, but we need someone now. Correction, years ago.

Patience is probably the Sabres version of "The Process".... since we don't seem to have any process at all besides from needing more patience... which we're all running short on after years of this mess.

Just need a little more patience. Someone should make a Sabres version of this song. GM in the office late at night, trying to make a trade & get it right. Hard to deal with so many around, you know i don't like being seen in the crowd. And the seasons don't change but maybe the year. Whole things depressing as i drown in more beer.

No seriously, think i need to get drunk now & forget about all this. I know, just need a little more patience haha, shoot me!

But  yeah we're gonna need a lot of it...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.