GDT: Buffalo @ St Louis, 8 PM ET, MSG

Doohickie

Just now, Thorny said:

Frolik is decent and a reasonable add in a vacuum but whoever said it was deck chairs on the titanic is probably spot on. He's the one type of forward we already seem to have in aplenty. 

If I'm Pegula, I'm telling Botterill that his next move is for a legitimate NHL 2nd line center.  No more defensemen, no more bottom six forwards, we're full up on those.  He can claim that Cozens is untouchable, and that's cool, but at this point he is not the answer.  Other than that, make the deal using prospects, draft picks, bags-of-pucks, whatever gets the job done.

And I'd get a life-sized poster of O'Reilly and hang it in his office until he makes the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

So out of 21 games i have tickets for, i went to 3. Home opener, montreal shortly after, and Boston like 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that will be it for the year. 

I hate this team, everything about it....players, style of play, uniforms, yuck., all of it. They are the exact opposite of the Bills who although they have their flaws, are very easy to get behind. Goodbye Sabres

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

If I'm Pegula, I'm telling Botterill that his next move is for a legitimate NHL 2nd line center.  No more defensemen, no more bottom six forwards, we're full up on those.  He can claim that Cozens is untouchable, and that's cool, but at this point he is not the answer.  Other than that, make the deal using prospects, draft picks, bags-of-pucks, whatever gets the job done.

And I'd get a life-sized poster of O'Reilly and hang it in his office until he makes the deal.

Legend has it the Pegula wanted ROR out.  So I doubt that happens.  

Our current team, with ROR would be pretty good.  

I’m just depressed at how far away the Sabres are compared to a team like the Blues.  Their third line killed us.  Tarasenko and Parayko are out.  

4 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

So out of 21 games i have tickets for, i went to 3. Home opener, montreal shortly after, and Boston like 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that will be it for the year. 

I hate this team, everything about it....players, style of play, uniforms, yuck., all of it. They are the exact opposite of the Bills who although they have their flaws, are very easy to get behind. Goodbye Sabres

Even the uniforms?   

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Legend has it the Pegula wanted ROR out.  So I doubt that happens.  

Our current team, with ROR would be pretty good.  

I’m just depressed at how far away the Sabres are compared to a team like the Blues.  Their third line killed us.  Tarasenko and Parayko are out.  

Even the uniforms?   

Do i like the uniforms? No, they are black, which is perfect for a funeral. This team was dead and buried in December....again

I'll be a Sabres fan until I die, but it's really, really hard to like this team.  They don't score.  They don't hit.  They don't go to the dirty areas.  If weren't for Jack, they would almost be unwatchable.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This is such a deficient roster I don't know where to start.  It will take years just to get competitive.  

Without their top two scoring wingers this is a bottom 5 team.  

They had no depth scoring to begin with, now they're down to 1 guy who can score on a regular basis.  It's going to be ugly for a bit here.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This is such a deficient roster I don't know where to start.  It will take years just to get competitive.  

Agree. And you look at the Bills.  McDermott built it to mirror Buffalo.  Tough, resilient, never give up. This team is nothing like Buffalo.  Weak, uninterested, self-centered, timid.

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Ehh, they get Vancouver at home and then the Dead Things on the road.  Should be 4-1-0 in their last 5 after those 2 are in the books.

Counting wins before they've happened for this team? Bold strategy Cotton. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Tondas said:

Agree. And you look at the Bills.  McDermott built it to mirror Buffalo.  Tough, resilient, never give up. This team is nothing like Buffalo.  Weak, uninterested, self-centered, timid.

It's much more so talent than any of that. 

Think about which Sabres players you'd be confident had a good chance of scoring if they got a breakaway. Can you name more than 1, even after only 2 injuries? Jack has 27 goals and 29 assists. He's having a great goal scoring season but he's still more of a playmaker - he should have a fair few more assists but who's gonna cash? Not enough. 

It's a severe lack of offensive depth, (severe, when factoring in current injuries) combined with weak netminding. One couldn't read that sentence and expect and different result for this team, and I'm frankly surprised management did. And that's before the sporadic defense and weak special teams. 

The issues need to be actually fixed we won't just all of a sudden be better. Special teams can improve (but that it hasn't, half way through the year, it's tough to be optimistic). The offensive depth will be better once Skinner and VO are back, but it's still the same corps we started the year with plus Frolik: we need at least one legitimate scorer added from outside the organization to do more than tread water. 

Goaltending is a problem. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's much more so talent than any of that. 

Think about which Sabres players you'd be confident had a good chance of scoring if they got a breakaway. Can you name more than 1, even after only 2 injuries? Jack has 27 goals and 29 assists. He's having a great goal scoring season but he's still more of a playmaker - he should have a fair few more assists but who's gonna cash? Not enough. 

Agreed.  But at this point, It's more of a likability factor than a winnable factor.

Edited by Tondas

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve been laughing all night. This team is so far from being competitive against good teams it’s actually funny. 

2C is a very important piece on a hockey team. I think if we added a real 2C, Skinner, and Olofsson, and ditched (or just stopped playing!) the dead weight like Bogosian, we'd be a good team if the goaltending could be sorted out. Yes it's a big if but, point is, the mythical 2C add would go a LONG way. Greater than the sum of the part. 

If we are a long ways away, it's because of the magnitude of the difficulty, or unwillingness, to fill that position (or keep it filled). I don't think the distance is necessarily long in terms of roster alterations. Aside from goalie, it would help a lot fall into place. 

Not to drum up the debate around it, but merely as a thought exercise, do I think we'd be in a playoff spot if ROR was our 2C right now? Yes. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.