GDT: Buffalo @ St Louis, 8 PM ET, MSG

Doohickie

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Unfortunately, a team this thin at forward couldn't afford to lose anyone for an extended stretch, let alone Skinner AND Olofsson. The team should still make a big move to bring in a 2C who is under contract beyond this season, but playoffs are likely no more than a pipe dream at this point. It didn't have to be this way, but it is. Too bad. 

Good news is you can just copy and paste this for next January too

37 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It was 3-1 after 2.  The Sabres had 13 shots on goal at that point.

The Sabres did not record a shot on goal in the 3rd period until more than 8 minutes had elapsed.

My interpretation of Jack's expression and body language:  "JFC I can't believe I'm stuck here with this group of effing losers."

Last night was the kind of game that can send a mentally weak team that's been suffused in losing ever since the idiotic tank into a major tailspin.

Let's see whether RK can muscle them out of it.

That's no different than in the years preceding the tank. 

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Good news is you can just copy and paste this for next January too

To laugh or to cry, that is the question. 

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

You do understand that having Jack is not the same as having a good team, right?

No tank. No Jack.  Once again it's the rebuild that has failed.  Murray was too freewheeling and JNOT is too cautious.  Funny enough, if we reverse their tenures, we'd probably be much better off right now.

14 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

No tank. No Jack.  Once again it's the rebuild that has failed.  Murray was too freewheeling and JNOT is too cautious.  Funny enough, if we reverse their tenures, we'd probably be much better off right now.

Correct.

Would you rather have Jack, or have a good team?

For example:  St. Louis doesn't have anyone as good as Eichel.  They missed the playoffs in 2010 and 2011, but didn't tank.  Since then, they've made the playoffs 7 out of the last 8 years (8 out of 9 if you assume they make it this year) AND won the cup last year. 

Would you rather have their team or the Sabres?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Correct.

For example:  St. Louis doesn't have anyone as good as Eichel.  They missed the playoffs in 2010 and 2011, but didn't tank.  Since then, they've made the playoffs 7 out of the last 8 years (8 out of 9 if you assume they make it this year) AND won the cup last year. 

That's adorable, you're assuming the team would be good if we didn't tank. It's like you have completely wiped the time period between the co-caps and the tank from your mind. 

I'll ask again. What's up with Hutton? I mean you have to ask given the recent history of goaltending in Buffalo. Ullmark might be breaking down.

I'll also ask... is this the second year in a row where a Sabres team got into reasonable playoff positioning in December only to see the GM fail to give them any help, leading to tailspin?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'll also ask... is this the second year in a row where a Sabres team got into reasonable playoff positioning in December only to see the GM fail to give them any help, leading to tailspin?

He should have gotten help in July. It was a glaring weakness after he put himself in a position of strength with defensemen and he failed miserably. Wasting an MVP season now

13 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

That's adorable, you're assuming the team would be good if we didn't tank. It's like you have completely wiped the time period between the co-caps and the tank from your mind. 

After Black Sunday, they missed the playoffs twice and then made the playoffs twice (2010 and 2011), including a division-winning season.  In 2011, they were beating Philly 3-2 in the first round of the playoffs, and were winning game 6, in Buffalo, in the 3rd period, before falling apart and losing that game and then game 7.

They then missed the playoffs in 2012, and, when they had a poor start in the following season, panicked, fired Lindy (instead of Darcy, which would've been the correct move) and commenced the tank in early 2013. 

I believe that the right GM/coach combo would've chosen not to tank and would've delivered MUCH better results for the 7 seasons from 2013 to present than what we've actually had.

Do you disagree?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

After Black Sunday, they missed the playoffs twice and then made the playoffs twice (2010 and 2011), including a division-winning season.  In 2011, they were beating Philly 3-2 in the first round of the playoffs, and were winning game 6, in Buffalo, in the 3rd period, before falling apart and losing that game and then game 7.

They then missed the playoffs in 2012, and, when they had a poor start in the following season, panicked, fired Lindy (instead of Darcy, which would've been the correct move) and commenced the tank in early 2013. 

I believe that the right GM/coach combo would've chosen not to tank and would've delivered MUCH better results for the 7 seasons from 2013 to present than what we've actually had.

Do you disagree?

Yes. The best players from those teams were aging out and we had no viable replacements or path to get them. Roy was washed, Hecht was at the end, Pominville and Vanek were fading fast, and Miller was merely okay at that point. They were all set to get new contracts within a year, so we'd be stuck with aging stars on expensive deals or or the futures we ended up with. Our best hopes at that point were Grigorenko and Girgensons. That's not a situation which is likely to produce good results. May the results have been better? Sure, marginally do. But a genuinely "good" team that makes the playoffs 50% of the time? Hardly a likely outcome. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Blues model is like Bruins and Washington.  A few stars, a few skill guys, a stud goalie, and a majority of really hard working bangers. 

Lol.  Ovi, Backstrum, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Vrana, Carlson, Wilson and two stud goalies.  Pasta, Bergeron, Marchand Krecji, McAvoy, Charra, Debrusk, Coyle and two stud goalies. They win because they have better players across the board.  All the hard work in the world won’t overcome a talent deficit the size the Sabres face night in and night out.  It is like watching the Polish cavalry gallantly rushing to slaughter against the Nazi blitzkrieg.  

• Like (+1) 2

How would everyone feel about this roster?

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

E. Kane-ROR-Sheary

Skinner-Johansson-Frolik

Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

Jokiharju-Risto

Bogo-Pilut

Miller-McCabe

Lehner

Ullmark

I have that cap figure at around $80 mill.  I doubt Kane re-signs here.  God only knows what would have happened if Lehner was able to overcome his issues here.  I think GMTM could have gotten to a similar place.  I'm probably his only proponent at this point. He was at least willing to take some chances, some of which worked out, others not so much.  The roster at least looks like a competent NHL team.  Defense maybe a little suspect and there were goalies to be had other than Lehner if that went the current route.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

E. Kane-ROR-Sheary

Skinner-Johansson-Frolik

Jokiharju-Risto

Bogo-Pilut

Miller-McCabe

Lehner

Ullmark

I have that cap figure at around $80 mill.  I doubt Kane re-signs here.  God only knows what would have happened if Lehner was able to overcome his issues here.  I think GMTM could have gotten to a similar place.  I'm probably his only proponent at this point. He was at least willing to take some chances, some of which worked out, others not so much.  The roster at least looks like a competent NHL team.  Defense maybe a little suspect and there were goalies to be had other than Lehner if that went the current route.  

nope.

• Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, inkman said:

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart

E. Kane-ROR-Sheary

Skinner-Johansson-Frolik

Jokiharju-Risto

Bogo-Pilut

Miller-McCabe

Lehner

Ullmark

You can count me behind you with regard to GMTM.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Do you disagree?

And I believe it's fairly obvious the tank decision went above any GM or coach to Terry and his Pittsburgh posse. Darcy said as much. "There's a right way to rebuild (citing Minny).... The extent of the rebuild will be up to the owner." Spring 2013 (pre-suffering speech)

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

You do understand that having Jack is not the same as having a good team, right?

Blaming the tank is absurd. Botteril arrived here long after the tank ended and proceeded to make a series of disastrous moves that set the franchise back five years. Had he been an experienced astute GM we would have been in the playoffs by now. 

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Correct.

There's many variables as to why the Sabres are bad and other teams like the Blues are good.  All variables lead to ownership.  You think the tank was bad and is the cause of current problems.  The tank was conducted with the ok of ownership.  I think the rebuild has been awful.  Ownership again, not putting the right people in place to make the right decisions.  Everyone wants to defend Terry, but he's owned the Sabres for almost a decade and the Sabres winning percentage in that time must be the worst in sports.  That's ultimately the result of poor ownership.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

No, I am stupid. That is why I have yelled into the void since 2014 that we have to draft and develop well even if we get a Jack. That's why I lost my ***** in 2015 and 2016 when we gutted all the tank fruit to bring in mediocre vets with the exception of ROR. That's why when the Bots ROR trade happened I almost quit posting and gave up on this team because it was blatantly obvious what a garbage move it was. I am just stupid and think that having Jack automatically makes us a good team. Life is simple right?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.