GDT: Buffalo @ St Louis, 8 PM ET, MSG

Doohickie

A team this bad is way further away than just a 2 center....this team is gutless with one star and no goaltending. Add 1 more super star and they might be able to compete for 8th. Add that star AND a 2 center, you can talk about the division. Now add the right tender, you are a contender.

They are years away from contender, years....

• Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Tondas said:

I'll be a Sabres fan until I die, but it's really, really hard to like this team.  They don't score.  They don't hit.  They don't go to the dirty areas.  If weren't for Jack, they would almost be unwatchable.

It's a team of pussies and losers assembled by a ***** loser.  

I hate the team myself.

The worst part is there is no end game here.  What are we building to? When does it end?  What is the light at the end of the tunnel?

There isn't anything I can see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

2C is a very important piece on a hockey team. I think if we added a real 2C, Skinner, and Olofsson, and ditched (or just stopped playing!) the dead weight like Bogosian, we'd be a good team if the goaltending could be sorted out. Yes it's a big if but, point is, the mythical 2C add would go a LONG way. Greater than the sum of the part. 

If we are a long ways away, it's because of the magnitude of the difficulty, or unwillingness, to fill that position (or keep it filled). I don't think the distance is necessarily long in terms of roster alterations. Aside from goalie, it would help a lot fall into place. 

Not to drum up the debate around it, but merely as a thought exercise, do I think we'd be in a playoff spot if ROR was our 2C right now? Yes. 

No. 

We need better goaltending, better D Zone coverage, players who can kill penalty and scoring depth even in the bottom 6. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

A team this bad is way further away than just a 2 center....this team is gutless with one star and no goaltending. Add 1 more super star and they might be able to compete for 8th. Add that star AND a 2 center, you can talk about the division. Now add the right tender, you are a contender.

I think it's 2C - compete for 8th. Making the playoffs would be massive for this team, it's players, and the fanbase. If we can even get to that level consistently, it puts the franchise on a more reasonable trajectory where that 1st line quality player (Cozens?) and goalie are bought a little more time and likelihood to come to this team at a point where they themselves have a better chance of succeeding, a more complete, functional roster where less is asked of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

It's a team of pussies and losers assembled by a ***** loser.  

I hate the team myself.

The worst part is there is no end game here.  What are we building to? When does it end?  What is the light at the end of the tunnel?

There isn't anything I can see.

The worst part is that Botteril will not be fired for a long time despite his incompetence. The owners are tired of firing people and will keep him till his contract expires. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No. 

We need better goaltending, better D Zone coverage, players who can kill penalty and scoring depth even in the bottom 6. 

I feel like you were saying this team was closer than everyone thought, like, a couple months ago? They say I'm the negative nancy ?

Acquiring a 2C would solidify a legit top 6 and bump a player like Frolik into a 3rd line role, where he belongs. Maybe he'd add a bit of the depth and pk we seek in that role. 

Goaltending is admittedly a hole. 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

Our only hope is to win the lottery and get a superstar in the draft. We also have to pray that Cozens can become an impact player and not another Mittlestadt. If those things don’t happen we will continue to be a bottom 5 team. 

5 minutes ago, freester said:

Our only hope is to win the lottery and get a superstar in the draft. We also have to pray that Cozens can become an impact player and not another Mittlestadt. If those things don’t happen we will continue to be a bottom 5 team. 

The tank has warped mindsets on this. We don't need another superstar or savior to be good. We just need a competent team builder to build a competent team. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I feel like you were saying this team was closer than everyone thought, like, a couple months ago? They say I'm the negative nancy ?

Acquiring a 2C would solidify a legit top 6 and bump a player like Frolik into a 3rd line role, where he belongs. Maybe he'd add a bit of the depth and pk we seek in that role. 

Goaltending is admittedly a hole. 

I tend to be an optimist until the facts prove otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

So out of 21 games i have tickets for, i went to 3. Home opener, montreal shortly after, and Boston like 2 weeks ago. I can't believe that will be it for the year. 

I hate this team, everything about it....players, style of play, uniforms, yuck., all of it. They are the exact opposite of the Bills who although they have their flaws, are very easy to get behind. Goodbye Sabres

So, what inspired you to buy tickets to 21 games?

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

Maybe Dahlin will be generational in 4 more years. I don't see what all the hype is about. I mean Jack is just now looking like the player i had hoped for years ago.

You really aren’t having a good night, are you? Why did you expect Dahlin to be an all-star off the bat? Didn’t it take Lidstrom until he was 30 to win a Norris?

Did St. Louis even break a sweat? 

Utter joke. Frolik? I know it was his first game and he just got here blah blah blah but I see why Calgary dumped him. Yay, another floater, just what we needed.

Here's what gets me the most. End of the first period, where we did nothing and were down 2-0 and Ray ends the period saying "a good period for the Sabres" and end of the game he says "they had some nice looks."  I'm telling you, the culture here is F...'.d.  The bar is way too low. Everything and everyone including announcers has to go.   

We will never get this fixed otherwise. We might (only might) get slightly better with some good drafts and a few good lotteries but we are more likely to ruin budding stars than develop them. Tear it all down, build a culture around hard work and effort and add the new kids to that so they learn that same culture from day 1. Nothing else will work. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Utter joke. Frolik? I know it was his first game and he just got here blah blah blah but I see why Calgary dumped him. Yay, another floater, just what we needed.

Here's what gets me the most. End of the first period, where we did nothing and were down 2-0 and Ray ends the period saying "a good period for the Sabres" and end of the game he says "they had some nice looks."  I'm telling you, the culture here is F...'.d.  The bar is way too low. Everything and everyone including announcers has to go.   

We will never get this fixed otherwise. We might (only might) get slightly better with some good drafts and a few good lotteries but we are more likely to ruin budding stars than develop them. Tear it all down, build a culture around hard work and effort and add the new kids to that so they learn that same culture from day 1. Nothing else will work. 

I said he was Sobotka two and I hated the deal.

• Like (+1) 1

Obviously without Skinner and Olofsson (or however you spell his name) this team is in deep trouble. But then again, if you take two of the top 4 scorers off of any team they would feel it for sure. having said that,  it does seem that no matter how much things change, they stay the same. This team has changed considerably but they are still the Sabres. Then you take team like Pittsburg; doesn;t seem to matter what they do they just win. Malkin missed a bunch of games and now Cindy has been out for a while yet they keep winning. I guess it really is a culture or mindset. We are programmed to suck. Doesn;t seem to matter what the heck we do. Mind you there are a bunch of other teams in or around the same area or level of play that we are at. It is getting over that hump that is tough. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

They already did this in the year 2014ish.  They ditched everyone who was any good.

Do you think perhaps it’s difficult to build a culture of winning, hard work and effort while loosing tons of games because the team has no talent?

Also, you in particular keep flopping back and forth on this.  When they win you say they put forth good effort, when they lose you say they don’t try hard and everything needs to be blown up.

I think the more likely explanation is that St Louis is a very good team and Buffalo can not match them on a player by player level.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, jad1 said:

If I'm Pegula, I'm telling Botterill that his next move is for a legitimate NHL 2nd line center.  No more defensemen, no more bottom six forwards, we're full up on those.  He can claim that Cozens is untouchable, and that's cool, but at this point he is not the answer.  Other than that, make the deal using prospects, draft picks, bags-of-pucks, whatever gets the job done.

And I'd get a life-sized poster of O'Reilly and hang it in his office until he makes the deal.

maybe he shouldn't have traded the one they had

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I was gonna mention Ray's comments. ....Such an idiot

It was 3-1 after 2.  The Sabres had 13 shots on goal at that point.

The Sabres did not record a shot on goal in the 3rd period until more than 8 minutes had elapsed.

My interpretation of Jack's expression and body language:  "JFC I can't believe I'm stuck here with this group of effing losers."

Last night was the kind of game that can send a mentally weak team that's been suffused in losing ever since the idiotic tank into a major tailspin.

Let's see whether RK can muscle them out of it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It was 3-1 after 2.  The Sabres had 13 shots on goal at that point.

The Sabres did not record a shot on goal in the 3rd period until more than 8 minutes had elapsed.

My interpretation of Jack's expression and body language:  "JFC I can't believe I'm stuck here with this group of effing losers."

Last night was the kind of game that can send a mentally weak team that's been suffused in losing ever since the idiotic tank into a major tailspin.

Let's see whether RK can muscle them out of it.

It's funny that you mention Jack, the teams best player, in the same post as you bash the way we acquired him. leonardo dicaprio ok GIF

20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve been laughing all night. This team is so far from being competitive against good teams it’s actually funny. 

I woke up and my lovely wife had breakfast fir me.  I said to her .“I cannot believe that team, they are so far from what a competitive team is supposed to look like”.  Then I open my tablet to your post.   Only difference is I’m not laughing.  

20 hours ago, Taro T said:

Ehh, they get Vancouver at home and then the Dead Things on the road.  Should be 4-1-0 in their last 5 after those 2 are in the books.

Not if Hutton gets a start. 

Edited by Pimlach

Unfortunately, a team this thin at forward couldn't afford to lose anyone for an extended stretch, let alone Skinner AND Olofsson. The team should still make a big move to bring in a 2C who is under contract beyond this season, but playoffs are likely no more than a pipe dream at this point. It didn't have to be this way, but it is. Too bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.