OHL Trade: Matiej Pekar has been Traded To Sudbury

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Nah.  Possibly a few games in the AHL at the end of the season though.

5 assists in one game is pretty impressive, but he is playing on a line with Quinton Byfield, the probable #2 player in the upcoming draft, and Sudbury is a very good team.  Pekar is probably going to put up crazy numbers the rest of the season.

Playing with Byfield will definitely help his stats. He is also an excellent PK guy, so if they use him there he will get tons of ice time.

BTW Sudbury is not a very good team, just first in their division at 21-18. They have a great chance to advance to the Eastern Final which is why they are going for it. They are fourth overall in the East, Ottawa 67s are first at 30-6.

You never know what can happen in the playoffs, Ottawa lost the OHL final last year against an underdog Guelph team.

9 minutes ago, French Collection said:

BTW Sudbury is not a very good team, just first in their division at 21-18. They have a great chance to advance to the Eastern Final which is why they are going for it. They are fourth overall in the East, Ottawa 67s are first at 30-6.

Thanks for the correction.  I knew Sudbury was loading up for the playoffs, I thought their record was a bit better though.  My bad.

43 minutes ago, Curt said:

Thanks for the correction.  I knew Sudbury was loading up for the playoffs, I thought their record was a bit better though.  My bad.

No problem, they are a much better team after the trade deadline, so their record should improve. Another solid addition is Brad Chenier, a Sudbury kid who is in his last year and was captain in North Bay.

I’m not an OHL expert, just have season’s tickets for the North Bay Battalion, so we see a bunch of OHL hockey. My brother in law has ST for the Sudbury Wolves so I may check out more of their games. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2020 at 12:29 PM, French Collection said:

No problem, they are a much better team after the trade deadline, so their record should improve. Another solid addition is Brad Chenier, a Sudbury kid who is in his last year and was captain in North Bay.

I’m not an OHL expert, just have season’s tickets for the North Bay Battalion, so we see a bunch of OHL hockey. My brother in law has ST for the Sudbury Wolves so I may check out more of their games. 

It really is quite an accomplishment to not make the playoffs in the OHL considering 80% of the teams make it, but everyone knows theres really only a couple that stand a chance at making the finals and representing the OHL in the Calder Cup so usually only a couple teams really load up. It is funny to watch some fan reactions to the trades when your team is dumping guys for picks, many people don't seem to understand that the leagues run on a cycle where because the players are only in the league for 3-4 years, you need to keep restocking the roster and picks are valuable in the future when you are ready to make your run.

On 1/10/2020 at 11:13 PM, French Collection said:

I am not sure about the no trade clauses but I believe there is some protection for kids who are in high school. They and their families have a say. There could be similar protection for guys who attend university or college.

I know a 16 year old kid who got traded from Saginaw to Barrie, he’s from near Barrie so it is a good fit for him.

Akil Thomas had to waive a no trade clause from Niagara to go to Peterborough this week. I would have never thought they had them.

I was watching the Niagara game the day of the deadline and they were talking about how the league should change teh deadline to later in January/early February to coincide with the School systems Exams/Breaks so that a player in high school could finish his semester at school and then be traded to start the next one at a different school. Right now they could be on the move a few weeks before their exams. 

On 1/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, French Collection said:

Playing with Byfield will definitely help his stats. He is also an excellent PK guy, so if they use him there he will get tons of ice time.

You never know what can happen in the playoffs, Ottawa lost the OHL final last year against an underdog Guelph team.

Yeah, theres a few really good teams, and a big jumble in the middle with a couple really bad ones at the bottom. Niagara was in a 3 way tie recently in their division with a couple games in hand, compared to the other division they would be near the bottom

Last year in the Playoffs Niagara was one of the top teams and went in with the top goal scorers in the league and were bounced early (they figured instead of trying to stop the other team from scoring, lets just hope we can outscore them, in the final season of Buffalo Native Goaltender Dhillons OHL career)

Edited by apuszczalowski

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.