OHL Trade: Matiej Pekar has been Traded To Sudbury

Brawndo

Not well versed at all in the mechanics of how CHL teams draft and assemble their teams, so hopefully this Q isn't silly.  Would the Sabres have had any influence in this trade being made?  Their having played a major role in getting Luukkonnen there last year is origin of the Q.

If they did, why would they prefer him there?

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not well versed at all in the mechanics of how CHL teams draft and assemble their teams, so hopefully this Q isn't silly.  Would the Sabres have had any influence in this trade being made?  Their having played a major role in getting Luukkonnen there last year is origin of the Q.

The answer is.....maybe, lol.  It’s not a silly question though.  NHL do have some pull regarding if, when, and where their CHL prospects change teams.

They could have requested it to give him a chance to play on a better team and make a playoff run.  Botterill may also like the coaches in Sudbury.  

But CHL teams not in contention regularly trade their “veteran” players for “youth” in an attempt to build a team for future years, so it could just be something that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

None of the OHL clubs have any affiliation with NHL clubs.  Sabres would have had no influence at all over this trade.  

Sudbury is leading their division (narrowly) and OHL trade deadline is January 10th.  They made the deadline move for a playoff push and try and hold onto their division lead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Derrico said:

None of the OHL clubs have any affiliation with NHL clubs.  Sabres would have had no influence at all over this trade.  

Sudbury is leading their division (narrowly) and OHL trade deadline is January 10th.  They made the deadline move for a playoff push and try and hold onto their division lead.

While it’s true there is no formal affiliation between CHL and NHL clubs, NHL teams do exert influence on CHL teams regarding how their prospects are handled.  Sometimes, a lot of influence. 

2 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Totally realize that the NHL teams don't have a financial nor managerial stake in teams in any of the 3 major junior leagues.  But wasn't sure whether they might influence them in some other way.  And as both of the Sabres last 2 prime OHL prospects eventually landed in Sudbury was curious if they might have had so e sort of "invisible hand" there.

57 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I doubt the Sabres played a role in this.  CHL teams are run like NHL franchises.  Teams going for it load up and teams that don't have a prayer collect picks so they can load up in 2-3 years.  This is typical. 

• Like (+1) 1

Pardon my "wet behind the ears" ignorance. I really had no idea that players could be traded in Juniors. I only found out about this last week when I tuned into The Instigators on my phone last week.

(BTW, totally unsolicited props. I don't always get a chance to listen to that show. But, unless you guys know something that I don't, I think that Andrew Peters, Craig Rivet, and Martin Biron are excellent radio hosts.)

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

I doubt the Sabres played a role in this.  CHL teams are run like NHL franchises.  Teams going for it load up and teams that don't have a prayer collect picks so they can load up in 2-3 years.  This is typical. 

This is indeed the case in Halifax with the Moosheads right now.  Last year they loaded up as Memorial Cup host (they lost in the final).  Now they are trading everyone worth a darn for picks and prospects.  The prospects are in the lineup these days.  We may miss the playoff in the Q, where 16 of 18 teams make it in.

4 hours ago, Curt said:

While it’s true there is no formal affiliation between CHL and NHL clubs, NHL teams do exert influence on CHL teams regarding how their prospects are handled.  Sometimes, a lot of influence. 

Can you provide any examples?

Edited by Derrico

6 hours ago, Derrico said:

Ya, I think Sudbury is just all in now on trying to get to the Memorial Cup. being part of a strong team (or winner) should be good for him and his development. 

14 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This is indeed the case in Halifax with the Moosheads right now.  Last year they loaded up as Memorial Cup host (they lost in the final).  Now they are trading everyone worth a darn for picks and prospects.  The prospects are in the lineup these days.  We may miss the playoff in the Q, where 16 of 18 teams make it in.

So how does this work, for instance if it had been Ehlers, would you still have yelled "EHLERS!" or would be be "NEXT_BEST_MOOSEHEADS_PLAYER" when talking draft? :)

Edited by MattPie

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Off topic, but if you are going to talk about Canadian Juniors can you not abbreviate question by using Q?  It took me a few minutes to figure out you were not talking about QMJHL, the Q.  ?

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the NHL team holding a players rights in one of the league's in the CHL have any pull as to what happens with that player, Botterill and the Pegulas have no say in where they play. If the NHL wants control they WOD have to have them on their roster. Juniors and college are different then the minor leagues. The Sabres could probably speak to the GM of the juniors team and ask them to do something, but the junior team can do what they want.

As for the trades in Juniors, typically, because players are only eligible to play in the league for a small window, they go through cycles of competitiveness (except for the London Knights who just always seem to be at the top...). Teams build up, make a run for a year or 2, use picks to grab some of the top players, then rebuild by dealing guys away for picks. Last year Niagara tried to make a run and picked up the league's top scorer, this year they dealt away Akil Thomas, their top player who just scored the gold medal winning goal at the juniors tournament for Canada and got a young player and 4 picks. They also dealt away their next top player Tomasino for 9 draft picks. They will trade for multiple picks over many years (next year it's going to change and you won't be able to trade picks outside a 4 year window).

One of the things I was surprised to see that they have in Juniors is 'No Trade Clauses'

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

One of the things I was surprised to see that they have in Juniors is 'No Trade Clauses'

I am not sure about the no trade clauses but I believe there is some protection for kids who are in high school. They and their families have a say. There could be similar protection for guys who attend university or college.

I know a 16 year old kid who got traded from Saginaw to Barrie, he’s from near Barrie so it is a good fit for him.

16 minutes ago, Sabre1974 said:

5 assists tonight.  Wonder if gets a call up for a few games at the end of the season??

Nah.  Possibly a few games in the AHL at the end of the season though.

5 assists in one game is pretty impressive, but he is playing on a line with Quinton Byfield, the probable #2 player in the upcoming draft, and Sudbury is a very good team.  Pekar is probably going to put up crazy numbers the rest of the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.