Practice Notes 1-8-20

Brawndo

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, I just kind of have a desire to see hot-streak Skinner paired up with Larsson, I think they'd be a menace out there for opposing teams.

At this point I don't think it's realistic that Botterill is going to bring in a 2C, even in the offseason. He probably wouldn't want to pay what it would cost in a trade, relative to what that 2RW would probably cost. Unless there are UFA options?

We've needed that top 6 addition since forever, dunno if/when it's coming, but I'm ready to be content with:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Johansson - TRADE

We can talk all about how competition between Sheary/Frolik/Asplund might produce a decent 2nd line winger, but considering that Mojo already is pushing it as a 2C, we need that 2RW to be rather strong. i.e. - we need that upgrade. 

In the off-season, he might try to trade for the 2C, but wouldn't have money on it.  Especially if Mittelstadt looks like he's back on track.  (Not saying he'd try to have Mitts as the 2C next year, but if he's looking like he should be an effective 3C next year; could see Botterill be willing to go into next season with the 4C's again Eichel, Johansson, Mitts, and Larsson.)

Agree that the more likelier external upgrade would be at 2RW.  (Or possibly even 1RW giving the proponents of breaking Eichel & Reinhart up their wish finally.)  And that very well could be a UFA who's only expected to fill that hole for a year or 2 tops as by the time the Seattle draft is past us at least 1 of Mitts, Thompson, or Cozens will be pencilled into the top 6 and actually won't be out of place.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In the off-season, he might try to trade for the 2C, but wouldn't have money on it.  Especially if Mittelstadt looks like he's back on track.  (Not saying he'd try to have Mitts as the 2C next year, but if he's looking like he should be an effective 3C next year; could see Botterill be willing to go into next season with the 4C's again Eichel, Johansson, Mitts, and Larsson.)

Agree that the more likelier external upgrade would be at 2RW.  (Or possibly even 1RW giving the proponents of breaking Eichel & Reinhart up their wish finally.)  And that very well could be a UFA who's only expected to fill that hole for a year or 2 tops as by the time the Seattle draft is past us at least 1 of Mitts, Thompson, or Cozens will be pencilled into the top 6 and actually won't be out of place.

Sabres need a bonafide top 6 RW addition though not a stop gap. Can't afford to wait a year or two to compete. You could be expecting true top 6 production for that stop gap, but usually that's not the type of production that stop gaps come with. Johannson to me is that - an adequate top 6 player but ideally he'd the most out of place on that line. I think we need a really good winger - and besides, there's no guarantee those prospects will be ready for the top 6 in 2 more years, in fact I'm unsure Casey and Tage ever get there. 

Ideally (if not a 2C) he adds a young-ish 2RW that's expected to be part of the long term solution. I don't think we have the talent in system to just wait it out, and certainly that wouldn't put us on a good timeline if that's the plan. 

If we have 5 true top 6 players, plus Johansson at 2C, I think that presents a setup where we can afford to wait for Cozens to come along naturally to take over for Mojo, without the need for him to be rushed. 

Edited by Thorny

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sabres need a bonafide top 6 RW addition though not a stop gap. Can't afford to wait a year or two to compete. You could be expecting true top 6 production for that stop gap, but usually that's not the type of production that stop gaps come with. Johannson to me is that - an adequate top 6 player but ideally he'd the most out of place on that line. I think we need a really good winger - and besides, there's no guarantee those prospects will be ready for the top 6 in 2 more years, in fact I'm unsure Casey and Tage ever get there. 

Ideally (if not a 2C) he adds a young-ish 2RW that's expected to be part of the long term solution. I don't think we have the talent in system to just wait it out, and certainly that wouldn't put us on a good timeline if that's the plan. 

No arguments on that here (though still expect Mittelstadt to get it).  Expecting that the goal would be to get a RW that is borderline 1RW/2RW (ala Skinner on LW) but could see a RW version of Johansson (that isn't expected to play C that is) that is a 2RW but not a "true" top 6 guy end up being the 1 brought in as in a year or 2 at least 1 of those kids will be in that role or Botterill will be gone.

Kind of stinks for Thompson that he never learned how to brace for a check, because if he is going to figure it out he'd be playing where Sheary is right now.  And we'd have a much better feeling for whether he's going to be a bust or actually useful.

If he is going to be useful (a HUGE if right now), then by bringing in that 2RW (or better yet 2C) this team actually should be in the playoffs next year and could be a legit contender 2 years after that with little to anything else being brought in via FA.  (A goalie could be the exception to that as Ullmark and Luukkonnen are far from sure thing #1 netminders at present.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.