Practice Notes 1-8-20

Brawndo

39 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Any ideas about where Frolik plays when Skinner returns? 

What will the lines look like when both Skinner and Olofsson are back?

I was wondering the same thing.  I'd imagine that we may get Skinner back with Eichel at least until Olofsson is back.  Then if that clicks, you really get to a big "what do you do" moment when Olofsson is back.

1 minute ago, shrader said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I'd imagine that we may get Skinner back with Eichel at least until Olofsson is back.  Then if that clicks, you really get to a big "what do you do" moment when Olofsson is back.

#Firstworldteamproblems

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

If you look at the current practice lines, Skinner jumps to the 1st line when he returns likely sending Asplund back to Rochester.  When VO gets back Frolik goes to 3LW sending Z to the 4th line and Vesey to the bench or Frolik moves to 2 RW, sending Sheary to the 3rd line and KO to the 4th.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If you look at the current practice lines, Skinner jumps to the 1st line when he returns likely sending Asplund back to Rochester.  When VO gets back Frolik goes to 3LW sending Z to the 4th line and Vesey to the bench or Frolik moves to 2 RW, sending Sheary to the 3rd line and KO to the 4th.  

At least there will be some options to see what clicks.. where does that leave Lazar? Back to Rochester?

Edited by North Buffalo

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hope Asplund doesn’t go back, he has passed Erod on the depth chart in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 3

It's arguable, yes. I think Asplund and Lazar play slightly different games so it depends on what you want to bring.  Also, Asplund is more of a future piece so if one has to go (i.e., a trade or whatever), it's not him.  They should both be ahead of ERod at this point.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

I hope Asplund doesn’t go back, he has passed Erod on the depth chart in my opinion.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

And Lazar, I believe.

Would be surprised if Asplund spends any more time in Ra-cha-cha.

Wilson will likely be the next guy sent back when either Skinner or Oloffson is healthy.  After that would expect Rodrigues to bounce down.  Asplund and Lazar have both met/ exceeded expectations in the roles they've been asked to fill.

Should Thompson ever be healthy again, will be interesting to see which of those 3 season starting Amerks are sent down provided he doesn't need a rehab stint.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would be surprised if Asplund spends any more time in Ra-cha-cha.

Wilson will likely be the next guy sent back when either Skinner or Oloffson is healthy.  After that would expect Rodrigues to bounce down.  Asplund and Lazar have both met/ exceeded expectations in the roles they've been asked to fill.

Should Thompson ever be healthy again, will be interesting to see which of those 3 season starting Amerks are sent down provided he doesn't need a rehab stint.

And Asplud getting time on the top line tells you a lot of what they think of him and the way he's playing.  He's a guy who projects out to a bottom 6 role, so I do thing he will be moved back into that slot and Lazar gets returned to Rochester first.

Thompson should be a pretty obvious choice to go back to Rochester, at least initially.  I can't see how he wouldn't need that rehab stint with the amount of time he's been out.

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He might stay right where he is for now. Skinner and Larsson seem to complement each other, could see Skinner taking Girgs spot there. Olofsson back to Eichel's line when he returns. 

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Frolik - Johansson - Sheary

Skinner - Larsson - Okposo

Girgensons - Lazar - Vesey 

Edited by Thorny
...one top 6 forward away

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He might stay right where he is for now. Skinner and Larsson seem complement each other, could see Skinner taking Girgs spot there. 

When Skinner is back, provided Johansson is still playing like he's healthy as he has for the past 4 or so games, he very likely goes back to that spot.  Would absolutely expect it once he and Olofsson are both back.

Skinner started the year on a pretty good pace as he and Marcus worked well together.  Fully realize several here like to blame their slumps on the 2nd Line Forrest Gump going out of the lineup but really expect it was more a case of Johansson getting injured and trying to play through it.

Yes, Larsson and Skinner seemed to have decent chemistry together.  IMHO, Marcus and Jeff looked much better together.

But will be very interesting to see which one of Frolik, Sheary, & Asplund stay top 6 when the 2 actual top 6 wingers are finally healthy.  Guessing Frolik, but since Rodrigues opened his mouth, Sheary has looked much better than he had prior to that.  They'll still only have 5 top 6 Fs (including MoJo as when healthy he seems to be legit) but that 6th slot gets closer to being filled by a top 6 if there's competition for the role.  (PLEEEAAASE get us that 2C the Sabres need.)

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When Skinner is back, provided Johansson is still playing like he's healthy as he has for the past 4 or so games, he very likely goes back to that spot.  Would absolutely expect it once he and Olofsson are both back.

Skinner started the year on a pretty good pace as he and Marcus worked well together.  Fully realize several here like to blame their slumps on the 2nd Line Forrest Gump going out of the lineup but really expect it was more a game ase of Johansson getting injured and trying to play through it.

Yes, Larsson and Skinner seemed to have decent chemistry together.  IMHO, Marcus and Jeff looked much better together.

But will be very interesting to see which one of Frolik, Sheary, & Asplund stay top 6 when the 2 actual top 6 wingers are finally healthy.  Guessing Frolik, but since Rodrigues opened his mouth, Sheary has looked much better than he had prior to that.  They'll still only have 5 top 6 Fs (including MoJo as when healthy he seems to be legit) but that 6th slot gets closer to being filled by a top 6 if there's competition for the role.  (PLEEEAAASE get us that 2C the Sabres need.)

This goes to my edit: but I agree. We need the top 6 upgrade regardless. As you said, none of those 3 are true top 6 players - we can upgrade at 2RW, certainly, and that could be adequate, but obviously the ideal result would be to bring in a 2C (then Johansson to 2RW). 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This goes to my edit: but I agree. We need the top 6 upgrade regardless. As you said, none of those 3 are true top 6 players - we can upgrade at 2RW, certainly, and that could be adequate, but obviously the ideal result would be to bring in a 2C (then Johansson to 2RW). 

IF Frolik-Johansson-Sheary can be a legit 2nd line, then your lines could be plausible.  (And actually effective.)  Just don't see a 2RW/3C playing at 2C carrying those other 2 3rd liners to an effective 2nd line.  Stranger things have happened, but wouldn't put any money on it.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IF Frolik-Johansson-Sheary can be a legit 2nd line, then your lines could be plausible.  (And actually effective.)  Just don't see a 2RW/3C playing at 2C carrying those other 2 3rd liners to an effective 2nd line.  Stranger things have happened, but wouldn't put any money on it.

Ya, I just kind of have a desire to see hot-streak Skinner paired up with Larsson, I think they'd be a menace out there for opposing teams.

At this point I don't think it's realistic that Botterill is going to bring in a 2C, even in the offseason. He probably wouldn't want to pay what it would cost in a trade, relative to what that 2RW would probably cost. Unless there are UFA options?

We've needed that top 6 addition since forever, dunno if/when it's coming, but I'm ready to be content with:

Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart

Skinner - Johansson - TRADE

We can talk all about how competition between Sheary/Frolik/Asplund might produce a decent 2nd line winger, but considering that Mojo already is pushing it as a 2C, we need that 2RW to be rather strong. i.e. - we need that upgrade. 

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.