Predators Fire HC Peter Laviolette

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah just don't see it as the right timing, no way this happens now.    Maybe if he is still around in the offseason dunno ?

It's never the right timing, is it?  It wasn't the right timing for the Cheatriots because Belichick was the Jets' coach.  Until he wasn't.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

It's never the right timing, is it?  It wasn't the right timing for the Cheatriots because Belichick was the Jets' coach.  Until he wasn't.

That move takes balls though.  Fire the coach you just hired 6 months ago.   JBOT must be really safe in his position then.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

That move takes balls though.  Fire the coach you just hired 6 months ago.   JBOT must be really safe in his position then.

It might be the only thing that *saves* his position.

Please don't get me wrong--I've nothing against Krueger.  I've just got nothing FOR him, either, anymore.  I liked the unconventional hire, and I like that he's a leader.  The results aren't there.

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Please don't get me wrong--I've nothing against Krueger.  I've just got nothing FOR him, either, anymore.  I liked the unconventional hire, and I like that he's a leader.  The results aren't there.

The bolded could be argued that he's not had a very good roster to work with, especially depth wise. So I would say it's a bit early to determine if he"s gotten good results or not working with what he has. The injuries to Skinner and VO have compounded that. Yet they have won the last couple games.

Not saying you're wrong, just that there could be those that might argue.

25 minutes ago, MakeSabresGrr8Again said:

The bolded could be argued that he's not had a very good roster to work with, especially depth wise. So I would say it's a bit early to determine if he"s gotten good results or not working with what he has. The injuries to Skinner and VO have compounded that. Yet they have won the last couple games.

Not saying you're wrong, just that there could be those that might argue.

It's a fair argument.   Now let's quit screwing around and have the Sabres hire Laviolette already.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Why?

It would be a tad bit uncomfortable to have Krueger leap above the man who hired him. Also, this move is necessary because Botterill has not gotten the job done. Now, if Jason were amenable to it, he could be AGM for cap space or something (OTOH...).

8 hours ago, Eleven said:

snappy ferris bueller GIF

Peter Laviolette is that guy who everyone thinks is better than he really is.

Do not want. He's never proven anything to me. His only Stanley Cup was the result of the Sabres losing 6 defensemen and then lucking into playing the haphazard Edmonton Oilers who somehow made it to the SCF.

Newp.. newp newp.

18 minutes ago, LTS said:

Peter Laviolette is that guy who everyone thinks is better than he really is.

Do not want. He's never proven anything to me. His only Stanley Cup was the result of the Sabres losing 6 defensemen and then lucking into playing the haphazard Edmonton Oilers who somehow made it to the SCF.

Newp.. newp newp.

He also took two other teams to the SCFs. That would be nice.

22 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It would be a tad bit uncomfortable to have Krueger leap above the man who hired him. Also, this move is necessary because Botterill has not gotten the job done. Now, if Jason were amenable to it, he could be AGM for cap space or something (OTOH...).

Bull doinkies.  First of all, Kruegers' "hockey czar" position doesn't have to be officially above JBot; it can be a special advisory position under him (even if the actual working arrangement is that Krueger is the strategic visionary and the JBot is the tactical contract wonk). 

Or even if RFK goes to a position above JBot, so what?  That sort of thing happens all the time in the corporate world.  Unless there is some animosity between the two men, they should be able to work together as a team regardless of who the head honcho is.

Recent Sabres history is not consistent with the above, but I think there was already in-fighting between the parties involved.

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He also took two other teams to the SCFs. That would be nice.

He took over as Flyers coach and barely had a better record than the coach he replaced.  The coach they fired had a winning record at the time.

The Predators?  How much of that was coaching?

Again, he's one of those guys who inherits good teams and then it seems like he's amazing because he wins.  Peter Laviolette is not going to make the Sabres a better team. He can't make Girgensons score goals. He can't make Sheary bigger.

You could hire him.. and then let's say Botterill adjusts the roster accordingly next season and they improve immensely.  How much of that is coaching?

How much credit do you give the current coach for the level of play Eichel has exhibited this year? 

13 minutes ago, LTS said:

He took over as Flyers coach and barely had a better record than the coach he replaced.  The coach they fired had a winning record at the time.

Suddenly I'm reminded of a specific game from his time there.  Tampa played that ridiculously boring, refuse to forecheck and clog the neutral zone game.  So LaPurple had his defensemen just sit behind the net with the puck and burn a ton of clock.  That's one thing I'll applaud him for.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Bull doinkies.  First of all, Kruegers' "hockey czar" position doesn't have to be officially above JBot; it can be a special advisory position under him (even if the actual working arrangement is that Krueger is the strategic visionary and the JBot is the tactical contract wonk). 

Or even if RFK goes to a position above JBot, so what?  That sort of thing happens all the time in the corporate world.  Unless there is some animosity between the two men, they should be able to work together as a team regardless of who the head honcho is.

Recent Sabres history is not consistent with the above, but I think there was already in-fighting between the parties involved.

Brilliant hockey czars don't get placed under dum dum GMs. You're missing the jist of my proposal. Krueger becomes King of Sabres hockey. Botterill, if he remains, is a manager. Pete is coach. You might not even need a GM, just several assistant managers (or assistants to the real manager, RaKru). Also, Terry can't sit next to Bales anymore up top.

Fixed!

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Brilliant hockey czars don't get placed under dum dum GMs. You're missing the jist of my proposal.

No I'm not.  I put a few proposals for a future org out there, one of which was JBot under Krueger.  Assuming JBot is okay with working with Krueger and vice versa, there should be no issue with RFK leapfrogging JBot.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

The Predators?  How much of that was coaching?

Again, he's one of those guys who inherits good teams and then it seems like he's amazing because he wins.  Peter Laviolette is not going to make the Sabres a better team. He can't make Girgensons score goals. He can't make Sheary bigger.

You could hire him.. and then let's say Botterill adjusts the roster accordingly next season and they improve immensely.  How much of that is coaching?

How much credit do you give the current coach for the level of play Eichel has exhibited this year? 

I can't disagree with any of this. I'm just not looking forward to yet another guy (he for the 3rd time) who people had to convince me wasn't good enough or not the right fit for the Sabres, only to see them go be successful somewhere else for whatever reason.

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He’s not visible, but it’s just a plain “C.”   Kinda boring for a wild an exciting board like this one.  

I tried to upload a pic that was hockey related, but the size was too big. It wasn't worth the time for me to fuss over it. Having said that, as wild and exciting as this place can be, I came back with the goal to NOT stir up strife like I did in the past.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.