Latest Ukko... made me laugh!

North Buffalo

@North Buffalo I have a friend who uses the online handle of Ukko. Ukko in Finnish mythology is the equivalent of Thor. I think Ukko itself translates to thunder.

But he always makes a point to correct people that its Ukko, not Uko. Seeing your title i just had to see if u could correct it. Thanks for sharing btw, pretty cool!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Probably already been posted, but with the goalie situation as it is, nice to know there is something in the pipeline 

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League today announced that Buffalo Sabres prospect Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen of the Sudbury Wolves is the 2018-19 recipient of the Red Tilson Trophy awarded to the OHL’s Most Outstanding Player of the Year as voted by the writers and broadcasters that cover the league.

Luukkonen becomes the sixth goaltender to win the award and the first member of the Wolves to be honoured in 40 years since Mike Foligno was the club’s first award recipient back in 1979.  The Finnish netminder is also the first European import player to be recognized.

“I am so honoured to have been named the Red Tilson Award winner,” Luukkonen said. “There are so many great players in the OHL who could have won this award and I am humbled to have been chosen. I want to thank the Sudbury Wolves organization for giving me a chance to play. I want to especially thank my teammates, Owner Dario Zulich, GM Rob Papineau, and my coaches, including goaltender coach Alain Valiquette and trainer Dan Buckland, for everything they have done for me.”

Luukkonen backstopped the Wolves to their most successful regular season since 1994-95.  In their crease he tied for the league lead with 38 wins and six shutouts while posting the OHL’s third best goals-against-average with a mark of 2.50 and the best save percentage at .920.  His GAA, SV%, and shutout total established new franchise records while his 38 wins are the second most in a single season in franchise history behind only Jim Bedard who won 40 games in 1975-76.

“Ukko had a remarkable and memorable season for the Sudbury Wolves in so many different ways,” said Wolves Vice-President and General Manager Rob Papineau. “To be recognized by the OHL writers and media as the winner of the prestigious Red Tilson Trophy as the OHL’s most outstanding player is so deserving and outstanding for him. As the season went on, so many people would talk about how great of a goalie Ukko is but this award is really special as it recognizes that he is in fact the most outstanding player in the OHL at any position. When you get to know him, Ukko really is the most outstanding player, goalie, and person, and he truly does deserve this great award.”

https://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/wolves-ukko-pekka-luukkonen-voted-red-tilson-trophy-winner-as-ohls-most-outstanding-player-of-the-year

19 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Probably already been posted, but with the goalie situation as it is, nice to know there is something in the pipeline 

Yeah, UPL is a very highly regarded prospect.  One of the best goalie prospects out there.  Not that he will be NHL ready next year though.  He will probably spend most/all of next year in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.