War with Iran?

Eleven

So, here's where my mind goes.

Ali Khamenei -"Hey Don. Could you help a brother out? How about you take out my number 2, cu'z he's getting a little big for his britches and prolly wants my gig. In return, I'll send like, five, um, house warming gifts to you,… don't worry, I'll totally let you know when they are coming and you won't lose a man.

"You'll look like the steadying figure, and I'll get to claim that I struck at the heart of the big bad Satan. Whadduya think?"

Trump - "Like it."

Ali Khamenei - "Just remember, Donny, this isn't Iran versus the US. This is you and I versus the proletariat. No way we both don't remain in power after this is over. Allah-speed, my freind"

Trump - "I'm in, but promise me I get to put a 36 hole Trump golf course just outside of Tehran after my second term."

Ali Khamenei - "Done."

Edited by SwampD

@LTS

To address your on topic comment.

I have to know what the actual threat was. Suleimani could serve as a point of deconfliction and coordination if the threat involved multiple forces. If it was a suicide bomb attack through a proxy his role is almost none as the goal would be to minimize Iranian footprint. 

The morale piece could backfire and strengthen Iranian resolve. The goal though would be to demonstrate capability to reduce fighting spirit. It’s an either/or situation.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

So, here's where my mind goes.

Ali Khamenei -"Hey Don. Could you help a brother out? How about you take out my number 2, cu'z he's getting a little big for his britches and prolly wants my gig. In return, I'll send like, five, um, house warming gifts to you,… don't worry, I'll totally let you know when they are coming and you won't lose a man.

"You'll look like the steadying figure, and I'll get to claim that I struck at the heart of the big bad Satan. Whadduya think?"

Trump - "Like it."

Ali Khamenei - "Just remember, Donny, this isn't Iran versus the US. This is you and I versus the proletariat. No way we both don't remain in power after this is over. Allah-speed, my freind"

Trump - "I'm in, but promise me I get to put a 36 hole Trump golf course just outside of Tehran after my second term."

Ali Khamenei - "Done."

You had me until the very end.

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why? Haven't we always been at war with Eurasia, or is it Oceania? I can't keep this stuff straight. 

Declared war, no. Armed conflict/low intensity conflict, seems like forever. 

Oceania is out around Australia.

Edited by SABRES 0311

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes you have the responsibility to call it out. Therefore you have the responsibility to set the example. I’m pretty sure you said people who support Trump support racism and such. Well I support Trump and I do not support racism despite what you think you know about me. Take it how you want but I don’t think it promotes what I thought this board was for. I guess I’ll move on.

You seem to be taking that not as it's intended.  Noone was claiming that you must be racist to support a racist.  They are suggesting that you are willing to accept racism in order to get other things (which, if memory serves you conceded to), AND accepting racism to get other things results in support of that racism.  So, by supporting Trump you end up supporting racism whether it is your intent or not.

311, you are supporting the wrong man.  You stated that it is a one issue thing for you.  He destroyed that.  

I once supported a guy named Obama.  He said he would give medical care to all.  He didn't.  Guess what?  I stopped supporting him and didn't vote for him in 2012.  It is time for you to be honest with either yourself or with the rest of us.

58 minutes ago, Weave said:

Evidence of imminence? What evidence?

Pretty damning comments from two Republican senators.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/08/politics/iran-briefing-senators/index.html

34 minutes ago, Eleven said:

311, you are supporting the wrong man.  You stated that it is a one issue thing for you.  He destroyed that.  

I once supported a guy named Obama.  He said he would give medical care to all.  He didn't.  Guess what?  I stopped supporting him and didn't vote for him in 2012.  It is time for you to be honest with either yourself or with the rest of us.

What I gather from the article is that Trump’s administration either withheld information or they do not have it to provide. The first is stupid in my opinion.

The second would be worse. Although killing Suleimani may be morally justified I can see legal issues if the intelligence doesn’t exist.

Now the part you are all refreshing you devices for. I am torn on this. According to the article, officials are saving additional information for the gang of eight. Not sure why. 

20 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Yes you have the responsibility to call it out. Therefore you have the responsibility to set the example. I’m pretty sure you said people who support Trump support racism and such. Well I support Trump and I do not support racism despite what you think you know about me. Take it how you want but I don’t think it promotes what I thought this board was for. I guess I’ll move on.

I think Weave clarifies below.  But I have been thinking quite a bit of a better way to phrase this.  So let's try this.

You have 1 vote to give for a candidate.  You can't split the vote.  So by voting for someone who is/supports racism, you are giving your support to a person who engages in those activities and as such are supporting racism.  This was the whole percentage discussion we had and speaks to the "lesser of two evils" discussion.  If both are somewhat evil, then by voting for either of them you are (or anyone is) supporting the portion of that person that is evil.  It's just how it goes.

It does not mean that person engages in those actions, just that they are tacitly supporting the actions of another who engages or supports those actions.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

You seem to be taking that not as it's intended.  Noone was claiming that you must be racist to support a racist.  They are suggesting that you are willing to accept racism in order to get other things (which, if memory serves you conceded to), AND accepting racism to get other things results in support of that racism.  So, by supporting Trump you end up supporting racism whether it is your intent or not.

And yes.. this.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

US sources say Iran shot that plane down on accident but Iran has not commented. 

Interesting.  I mean, how do you accidentally shoot down an airliner?  I didn't look at the timing, did it crash when they were firing missiles at Iraqi basis and accidentally hit the airliner?

20 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

@LTS

To address your on topic comment.

I have to know what the actual threat was. Suleimani could serve as a point of deconfliction and coordination if the threat involved multiple forces. If it was a suicide bomb attack through a proxy his role is almost none as the goal would be to minimize Iranian footprint. 

The morale piece could backfire and strengthen Iranian resolve. The goal though would be to demonstrate capability to reduce fighting spirit. It’s an either/or situation.

Right, we definitely don't know what the threat was.  But if something was imminent, it seems to me that it would be all but planned and ready to go.

If it was an imminent attack I believe everything was in place. I was referring to the coordination and deconfliction of their forces during the execution. At all levels of command the guy in charge has to be a part of that. But again I don’t know what the attack was supposed to be.

The airliner thing is crazy. Wild guess here but I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow Iran thought it was a threat given the timing. Why a civilian flight was allowed take off in the middle of all this is beyond me.

22 hours ago, SwampD said:

Why? Haven't we always been at war with Eurasia, or is it Oceania? I can't keep this stuff straight. 

22 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Declared war, no. Armed conflict/low intensity conflict, seems like forever. 

Oceania is out around Australia.

Lol, Duck!  That one almost took your hat off!

9 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Iran admits they did it and it was an accident. Half truth? Whole truth?

Accident in that they targeted the wrong plane, so truth but not whole truth.  IMO of course.

It's an interesting shot across the bow.  We won't engage you conventionally, but attack us again and your friends will feel it.

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Iran admits they did it and it was an accident. Half truth? Whole truth?

The only truth part is that they did it.  Why, how, and everything else?  Man, there's too many levels to try and figure it out.

The Ukranian Airline simply asked why they didn't shut down the airspace if they were going to be launching missiles.  That said, it was a surface to air missile that hit the plane (or so it was reported) so you don't use those to attack ground targets.

I'm sure more will come out on this as the spinners get to work building the narrative.  I mean, I have a wild imagination, so I could picture all kinds of things.

ie. What if Iran's systems were hacked and the radar was tricked into thinking it was a military jet?

I know one thing, I'm not getting on a Ukranian airliner anytime in the near future.  I'm saying that with no ounce of snark intended.

14 hours ago, Weave said:

Accident in that they targeted the wrong plane, so truth but not whole truth.  IMO of course.

It's an interesting shot across the bow.  We won't engage you conventionally, but attack us again and your friends will feel it.

Jokes on them, trump doesn't have friends. 

There's been reporting that Trump wanted Solimoni dead in 2017 after he took office and Mattis may have talked him out of it. Now it sounds like Trump renewed this idea over the summer. Interesting. We went from "immediate threat" which no one knew about including the Secretary of Defense to talk that Trump really started this over the summer and finally found the opportunity. Will be curious to see what else comes out. 

• Like (+1) 1