Trade: Calgary Michael Frolik to Buffalo for a 4th

Brawndo

If Frolik is the same player he was two seasons ago (I haven't thought about him since) then he's just more bottom six bad hockey. 

Looking now, it appears he had a bounceback season last season, though isn't playing well so far this year.

Scandella has been far better for us this season than I expected he would be, so if Frolik is as bad as I remember, this is a bad swap 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

He's been very consistent at 40ish points per season and doesn't miss many games due to injury. He has a Selke trophy in his man cave. He's better than 8 of the current sabres forwards at a similar cap hit to Scandella. It's a start, anyway.

Edited by Skibum
  • Like (+1) 1

This is a nothing move.  UFA out, UFA in.

Frolik fits the profile of most of our forwards.  Don't expect him to piss a drop.

The good news is he will probably be gone after the season, so no big deal, and moves of this type will help get Botterill fired.  Or, they aren't going to improve his job security.

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He has never won any NHL hardware, not sure where you saw that.

Ha ha, you're right. I was looking at Hockey Reference and mis-read it. He finished 25th for the Selke once. I was wrong, this guy sucks! But really, he's better than most of the bums they're running with right now. 

Edited by Skibum
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

So, meh for meh?

Strength for weakness.  This should have been done in October.  I'm not saying Frolik is a game changer, but this trade gets rid of a surplus NHL Dman for an NHL forward that is in short supply on the Sabres bench.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Strength for weakness.  This should have been done in October.  I'm not saying Frolik is a game changer, but this trade gets rid of a surplus NHL Dman for an NHL forward that is in short supply on the Sabres bench.

We have a surplus of left wingers. Shake a stick you'll hit 4

• Like (+1) 1

Botterill is essentially rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic that has become the 2019-20 Sabres season (and also his GM career).

Nevertheless, I think it's a decent move. The problem is that a lot more of these types of small-time moves need to happen. And they need to happen preferably by last summer. Veterans like Scandella were brought in to improve the locker room culture as much as they were brought in for their on-ice talent. Clearly Scandella hasn't had an effect on the locker room culture, so good riddance.

Here are 6 more players that need to be moved as soon as possible: Bogosian, Miller, Sobotka, Rodrigues, Sheary, and Vesey. None of them will bring more than middle or late round picks or career AHL'ers in return, but my feeling is that their mere presence in the locker room is toxic and cancerous.

I just don't know if the types of big moves that can actually save the season and Botterill's job are out there right now. There are 30 other GM's in the league that likely have zero respect for our GM and so are likely only offering highly unfavorable trades.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.