Marco Scandella Traded to Montreal for a 2020 4th Round Pick

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yup. It does nothing. Frolik is at best our 3rd lw.

He is a more energetic Sobotka.  A 4th line on a decent team.  Scandy is a better player and was playing well under Kruger.  

I hope Frolik surprises me ... he is  UFA also.  

1 minute ago, ... said:

A BOTTERILL APOLOGIST! BURN HIM!

I know you're joking, but I actually would rather have Scandella, though I won't make any conclusions til I see Frolik play. I'm just shocked at the scouting reports I'm reading for a presumably bad forward from the Calgary Flames, who are probably one of the 5 least-viewed teams of hockey fans in WNY 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know you're joking, but I actually would rather have Scandella, though I won't make any conclusions til I see Frolik play. I'm just shocked at the scouting reports I'm reading for a presumably bad forward from the Calgary Flames, who are probably one of the 5 least-viewed teams of hockey fans in WNY 

He was pretty good in Winnipeg here in a bottom 6 role, then he started to get bad so they moved on from him. Now he's here.  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, LTS said:

or ever...

But apparently that's possible in the world of the stressed out Sabres fan... ?

Taylor Hall was had for Adam freaking Larsson. We got Skinner for a bag of pucks. St. Louis got O'Reilly for a bag of pucks. Brayden Schenn wasn't prohibitively expensive for St. Louis either. Good to great players get traded every season. Every season. Find the bad GMs and trade with them and/or pounce on buy low opportunities. I'm not asking for a McDavid trade here, and neither is anybody else. Trades for good players are not the white whale, they're common. Just have to have a good GM to get it done, which we probably don't have. 

I'd have traded the Mittelstadt pick, I'd have traded the Cozens pick, and I'll happily trade our 1st this June. Jack Eichel is a top-5 forward in the league and in his prime. Skinner is 27. Reinhart is a good player in his prime. Dahlin is cheap. If this isn't the time to pay for current wins instead of possible NHL players 4 years down the line, when is? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, TrueBlueGED said:

Taylor Hall was had for Adam freaking Larsson. We got Skinner for a bag of pucks. St. Louis got O'Reilly for a bag of pucks. Brayden Schenn wasn't prohibitively expensive for St. Louis either. Good to great players get traded every season. Every season. Find the bad GMs and trade with them and/or pounce on buy low opportunities. I'm not asking for a McDavid trade here, and neither is anybody else. Trades for good players are not the white whale, they're common. Just have to have a good GM to get it done, which we probably don't have. 

I'd have traded the Mittelstadt pick, I'd have traded the Cozens pick, and I'll happily trade our 1st this June. Jack Eichel is a top-5 forward in the league and in his prime. Skinner is 27. Reinhart is a good player in his prime. Dahlin is cheap. If this isn't the time to pay for current wins instead of possible NHL players 4 years down the line, when is? 

I like how you listed examples of trades, included two that Botterill made, said you need a good GM to do it, then said Buffalo probably doesn’t have a good GM.  Botterill has one one each side of that ledger.  Life is confusing and rarely clear cut.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Seriously.  

In a hard salary cap era we shouldn’t go a decade missing the playoffs where half the friggen teams make it.   I don’t think it’s unreasonable at this point to be upset.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable that we should be done giving the benefit of the doubt.  How the hell have they not figured it out to atleast be in the playoff hunt after January when you have a top 10 player in the whole league and have barely had any meaningful injuries......If you’re up for making excuses at this point then good for you I guess.

Just now, Curt said:

I like how you listed examples of trades, included two that Botterill made, said you need a good GM to do it, then said Buffalo probably doesn’t have a good GM.  Botterill has one one each side of that ledger.  Life is confusing and rarely clear cut.

For sure. Good GMs can make bad trades and bad GMs can make good trades. But looking at the Sabres record under Botterill, I'm comfortable calling him a bad GM ?

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Look at the results that’s all that matters.  We were DFL two years ago, 3-4 points out of second last the previous season and this year is also looking scary.  How are we still making excuses that it’s just too hard making trades in this league?

Edited by Derrico

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

For sure. Good GMs can make bad trades and bad GMs can make good trades. But looking at the Sabres record under Botterill, I'm comfortable calling him a bad GM ?

True, he will ultimately be judged on results.  I just think that he sold ownership on a slow rebuild/culture build/doing it the right way.  I think he was guaranteed a certain amount of time.

This thread has a bunch of people complaining about Scandella for Frolik.  It’s unreasonable.  Scandella was never going to get a better return.  He was never going to get a top-6 forward.  That’s not a Botterill misstep.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

12 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Seriously.  

In a hard salary cap era we shouldn’t go a decade missing the playoffs where half the friggen teams make it.   I don’t think it’s unreasonable at this point to be upset.  I don’t think it’s unreasonable that we should be done giving the benefit of the doubt.  How the hell have they not figured it out to atleast be in the playoff hunt after January when you have a top 10 player in the whole league and have barely had any meaningful injuries......If you’re up for making excuses at this point then good for you I guess.

One of the biggest things I've found is there are lots of people out there who still think an NHL player's prime starts at like 27. They aren't processing the fact that, if we were to look at it statistically, right around NOW is when winning a cup with Eichel as our best player would be the most likely. Say, if the team around him was good. 

We need to be winning now! Yes there are still a fair few prime years left for Jack, but that we are wasting even one of them or a few seems absolutely positively criminal to me, in a hockey sense. 

I don't think people are antsy enough about this. People are actually being far too patient, it a situation where it's not a virtue. 

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

True, he will ultimately be judged on results.  I just think that he sold ownership on a slow rebuild/culture build/doing it the right way.  I think he was guaranteed a certain amount of time.

This thread has a bunch of people complaining about Scandella for Frolik.  It’s unreasonable.  Scandella was never going to get a better return.  He was never going to get a top-6 forward.  That’s not a Botterill misstep.

And it's NOT THE RIGHT WAY. The right way is to win when your best players are in their prime. It TRUMPS the long-form, in a vacuum view!

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Look at the results that’s all that matters.  We were DFL two years ago, 3-4 points out of second last the previous season and this year is also looking scary.  How are we still making excuses that it’s just too hard making trades in this league?

I’m not making excuses.  Botterill has made good trades, bad trades, and Meh trades.  The team has been bad. Overall it hasn’t been enough so far.  He hasn’t done enough so far.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don't mind the trade. I'll wait to see what Frolik looks like on the ice. I need a bigger player though to get me excited. Frolik might help at least. 

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I’m not making excuses.  Botterill has made good trades, bad trades, and Meh trades.  The team has been bad. Overall it hasn’t been enough so far.  He hasn’t done enough so far.

Exactly

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And it's NOT THE RIGHT WAY. The right was is to win when your best players are in their prime. It TRUMPS the long-form, in a vacuum view!

Yeah, probably.  I wasn't judging, just laying out my view of the situation.

It obviously doesn’t take 5+ years to go from bad to good if things are handled properly.  So, yes, the team hasn’t improved like they should have over the past several seasons, spanning multiple GMs and coaches. I think everyone agrees that winning now would be good.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

I think it's entirely possible Botterill sold ownership on a slow build...and that sales job does zilch to insulate him from poor results. Darcy Regier sold them on suffering, and then got fired when there was, in fact, suffering. I don't think Botterill is toast, but I absolutely do not believe he's safe with another bad season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I think it's entirely possible Botterill sold ownership on a slow build...and that sales job does zilch to insulate him from poor results. Darcy Regier sold them on suffering, and then got fired when there was, in fact, suffering. I don't think Botterill is toast, but I absolutely do not believe he's safe with another bad season. 

I think he is safe until 2021 offseason unless Buffalo loses like 30 of the remaining 40 games, or something horrific like that.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

I donno.  I wouldn’t bet on Terry being a dumb man.  Jason can say all he wants but the team has been essentially out of the playoff race for all three years now by New Years.  New Years.  Again, in a hard salary cap era.  That’s unbelievable.  During the ‘golden’ season no less.  Who is even our up and coming saviour for hope of a quick turnaround.  We have exactly one blue chip prospect in the pipeline right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.