Jason Botterill Needs To Go?

WildCard

I'm trading Erod for a 4th and Bogo for Simmonds if at all possible.

Then I'd sign Pommers  to a league minimum contract with the understanding he may not be in the lineup much once Skinner and Olafsson return

At this point I'm just looking for any kind of spark to keep this team alive through those injuries.  

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is just false outright. NHL defenders typically arrive in year 3 or 4 as to who they are going to be. It has far less to do with the age of the player and far more to do with number of games and seasons played. Risto isn't better because he hit this fake number. He is better because Krueger isn't asking him to do things he will never be good at: solo zone exits, precision passing exits, decision making. He fixed Risto by simplifying what he has to do and not asking him to do things he can't. 

Also Risto is in year 7 (we can say 6 since year 1 was shortened) of his NHL career. I would say that games played is a better number. Forward seem to hit their stride around game 150-200 and defenders around 200-250. Risto is at 466 games played. He is the player he is going to be. So you can either take that and play to his strengths (what Krueger is doing) or you can try to argue he will magically get better because he hit an age threshold. 

I do think Risto will continue to get better with age, like Chara did.  

A  few years ago the St Louis fan base was on Pietrangelo.  Constantly talking about others in the draft and the things he is not doing.  Now he does everything they need.  Now he is the Captain with a Cup in his hands.   He has always been good but for awhile he had his local critics. 

First round defenseman from 2008.  Tyler Myers won rookie of the Year.  Doughty, Pietrangelo and Carlson have hoisted Cups. 

Interesting where Karlsson and Carlson ended up.  Carlson after 5 year had 37 points and was -3, nothing like he is at 10 years.  

Zach Bogo 3rd overall. 

Drew Doughty (D)

Canada

Los Angeles Kings

Zach Bogosian (D)

United States

Atlanta Thrashers

Alex Pietrangelo (D)

Canada

St. Louis Blues

Luke Schenn (D)

Canada

Toronto Maple Leafs (from NY Islanders)1

Tyler Myers (D)

Canada

Buffalo Sabres (from Edmonton via Anaheim and Los Angeles)4

Colten Teubert (D)

Canada

Los Angeles Kings (from Buffalo)5

Erik Karlsson (D)

Sweden

Ottawa Senators (from Nashville)6

Jake Gardiner (D)

United States

Anaheim Ducks (from Calgary via Los Angeles)7

Luca Sbisa (D)

Switzerland

Philadelphia Flyers (from Colorado via Columbus)9

Michael Del Zotto (D)

Canada

New York Rangers

Tyler Cuma (D)

Canada

Minnesota Wild (from Washington via New Jersey)12

John Carlson (D)

United States

Washington Capitals (from Philadelphia)16

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, Skibum said:

Half of the forward group has been basically useless this year. Aside from the top line, the only line that's clicked at all is the checking line. That's two  secondary scoring lines that can't score, and a third line that's not supposed to score much anyway. Your $72 million dollar goal scorer has disappeared. 

You have a bona-fide superstar center and the clock is ticking to build a team around him. I don't see any significant improvements coming down the pipeline for at least 2 years, and that's if the prospects actually pan out. The head coach's visionary rhetoric is starting to sound like a lot of bloviated new-age lip service. 

Defense has improved dramatically, but half the forwards and half the goalies are flat-out bad. It's just not a good roster, and that's on the GM. He should be on thin ice. 

At least I learned a new word while reading this.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is just false outright. NHL defenders typically arrive in year 3 or 4 as to who they are going to be. It has far less to do with the age of the player and far more to do with number of games and seasons played. Risto isn't better because he hit this fake number. He is better because Krueger isn't asking him to do things he will never be good at: solo zone exits, precision passing exits, decision making. He fixed Risto by simplifying what he has to do and not asking him to do things he can't. 

Also Risto is in year 7 (we can say 6 since year 1 was shortened) of his NHL career. I would say that games played is a better number. Forward seem to hit their stride around game 150-200 and defenders around 200-250. Risto is at 466 games played. He is the player he is going to be. So you can either take that and play to his strengths (what Krueger is doing) or you can try to argue he will magically get better because he hit an age threshold. 

That, and lowering his ice time. 

4 hours ago, Skibum said:

Half of the forward group has been basically useless this year. Aside from the top line, the only line that's clicked at all is the checking line. That's two  secondary scoring lines that can't score, and a third line that's not supposed to score much anyway. Your $72 million dollar goal scorer has disappeared. 

You have a bona-fide superstar center and the clock is ticking to build a team around him. I don't see any significant improvements coming down the pipeline for at least 2 years, and that's if the prospects actually pan out. The head coach's visionary rhetoric is starting to sound like a lot of bloviated new-age lip service. 

Defense has improved dramatically, but half the forwards and half the goalies are flat-out bad. It's just not a good roster, and that's on the GM. He should be on thin ice. 

This is correct. Though I haven't really soured on Krueger. 

These do something threads make me laugh. It’s highly entertaining.

At the risk of repeating myself, JB is solidly in the drivers seat for the next few months UNLESS he does nothing. Well, he already did something yesterday. BUT, I think it just isn’t quite enough yet. IF he makes another trade that brings in one more proven top 9 NHLer. He’s 100% safe for at least the entire offseason and perhaps deep into next season. All the wishing for JB to be gone today, now ... is just wasted energy IMO. 

20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Like a mediocre Star Wars movie?

Ah, the new sequel trilogy. Big on plot, wonky on story. Sure, they're each fun in their own way; but it really does make a difference to have a piece of source material (or singular artistic vision) that you're following so that a series interweaves with itself and its galaxy. But there's another thread on this board for that.

Edit: In fact, it's much like a President/GM/Coach setup as @Weave and @Pimlach have noted in this thread. You need the guiding vision and it has to be there first. (Yes, it can change things... like make Leia Luke's sister between Empire and Return, but it needs to be a consistent vision end to end. The story.) Then, you bring in your GMs (producers/screenwriters) and Coaches (directors/screenwriters) to execute that vision. But you can't shuffle them season to season or within the same trilogy. It (the story) isn't going to go anywhere. No matter how good your players (actors) are or the scheme (set design, effects) or goals (lightsaber fights) are, without the consistent direction from the top. Otherwise, you could catch lightning in a bottle. But that shot, kid, is one in a million. And only Moulson's contract will be with us, always.

I did it! I have achieved a symbiotic circle! I'll see myself out.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Ah, the new sequel trilogy. Big on plot, wonky on story. Sure, they're each fun in their own way; but it really does make a difference to have a piece of source material (or singular artistic vision) that you're following so that a series interweaves with itself and its galaxy. But there's another thread on this board for that.

Edit: In fact, it's much like a President/GM/Coach setup as @Weave and @Pimlach have noted in this thread. You need the guiding vision and it has to be there first. (Yes, it can change things... like make Leia Luke's sister between Empire and Return, but it needs to be a consistent vision end to end. The story.) Then, you bring in your GMs (producers/screenwriters) and Coaches (directors/screenwriters) to execute that vision. But you can't shuffle them season to season or within the same trilogy. It (the story) isn't going to go anywhere. No matter how good your players (actors) are or the scheme (set design, effects) or goals (lightsaber fights) are, without the consistent direction from the top. Otherwise, you could catch lightning in a bottle. But that shot, kid, is one in a million. And only Moulson's contract will be with us, always.

I did it! I have achieved a symbiotic circle! I'll see myself out.

Love the sequel trilogy. Much better than the prequels. TLJ in particular is probably my favorite Star Wars movie. And it's not like the first 2 in the sequel trilogy aren't vastly more well-reviewed critically than anything in the prequel trilogy. 

Fair point on singular artistic vision, sure, but it's not like the other movies are adaptations. They are still considered original screen plays. I know your point was that they had a more singular vision, though, based on all of Lucas's world building, and that's true. 

Edited by Thorny

43 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Love the sequel trilogy. Much better than the prequels. TLJ in particular is probably my favorite Star Wars movie. And it's not like the first 2 in the sequel trilogy aren't vastly more well-reviewed critically than anything in the prequel trilogy. 

Fair point on singular artistic vision, sure, but it's not like the other movies are adaptations. They are still considered original screen plays. I know your point was that they had a more singular vision, though, based on all of Lucas's world building, and that's true. 

The sequels are good. They've got flaws (every SW film has a load of flaws; sometimes meesa maxibig flaws!), but they're fun -- even when they're being serious.

To the singular adaptations/storyline, the original and prequels are all written by Lucas. (There are different screenplay writers on each one; but the story credit is always Lucas.) For the sequels, the stories were written by 7 JJ, 8 Rian, and 9 Trevorrow, then re-written by JJ. Then, each of those has screenplay assistance. That's where it needed a story czar (and Disney may have attempted this... but then you give each of the three director/writers a fully fleshed out story and then can take a screenplay and make it, but that isn't what happened). Plus, Carrie Fisher died so the "main" original character of 9 was relegated to previously planned stuff for 7. And... alas, they're fun, but don't follow an end-to-end story.

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

The sequels are good. They've got flaws (every SW film has a load of flaws; sometimes meesa maxibig flaws!), but they're fun -- even when they're being serious.

To the singular adaptations/storyline, the original and prequels are all written by Lucas. (There are different screenplay writers on each one; but the story credit is always Lucas.) For the sequels, the stories were written by 7 JJ, 8 Rian, and 9 Trevorrow, then re-written by JJ. Then, each of those has screenplay assistance. That's where it needed a story czar (and Disney may have attempted this... but then you give each of the three director/writers a fully fleshed out story and then can take a screenplay and make it, but that isn't what happened). Plus, Carrie Fisher died so the "main" original character of 9 was relegated to previously planned stuff for 7. And... alas, they're fun, but don't follow an end-to-end story.

Wrong thread, so last post on this. The bolded: what, some of her stuff in the newest movie was supposed to be in 7? Couldn't be all originally-in-7 stuff in the new movie, considering what happens. 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Wrong thread, so last post on this. The bolded: what, some of her stuff in the newest movie was supposed to be in 7? Couldn't be all originally-in-7 stuff in the new movie, considering what happens. 

Hi Moderators --- can you please move this last discourse to the Rise of Skywalker thread? We're... not... staying on target.

The Leia scenes were some sort of training sequence that would have been for 7TFA that JJ had done, and... maybe some footage from TLJ too but I haven't heard about that. So everything with Carrie Fisher fully visible is her and Rey training from TFA. Then, all those side shots with Leia laying down and distant profile-y stuff is a stand-in. JJ did really well to weave her in.

• 1 month later...

Bott’s has to go!  He’s pullin’ a “Gibson” on us all!  Forcing us to toss his salad while we he pulls his meat stick and screws the team on every trade & roster move. 

Fire him and hire up & cuming GM candidate Nicholas Paul Nowakowski from the Minnesota Moose Knuckles.  Dudes hanging 3 inches from the ground and he don’t take S from nobody!

#OnePuffalo #PolskaMafia #MILF-Pegula

On 2/26/2020 at 8:33 PM, Happy Days said:

Why didn’t Botteral sign Brandon Hagel to a pro deal? He was a Sabres draft pick and was never signed to a deal. He seems to be doing solid in his first AHL season.

53 gp 18g 11a 29pts 34 pics  -2 +/-

CHL. 

The entire thing is a demonstration of "grass is always greener". 

The whole thing started because we were tired of fighting for 8th. 

I'd gladly take an experienced management group who makes WINNING NOW and GETTING INTO THE PLAYOFFS the goal rather than "fuUuUuuuUuuuUuUture - we wAnna wIn CUPS not just mAkE iT!"

I just want to watch a competent team. I was wrong for wanting more. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.