Jason Botterill Needs To Go?

WildCard

9 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

You can read right? YOUNG defensive core. Defensemen don’t come into there own in the nhl until they 24 or so. Risto is having one of his best years. 

JBOT will no doubt stay and have his contract extended unless the bottom completely fails out and I don’t see that happen. 

Unnecessary and not how human beings should treat each other.  Especially over something as unimportant as an opinion about a hockey team.

• Thanks (+1) 1

I am hearing more and more comments about wasting Eichel’s prime.

I agree this rebuild is taking a long time but, there have been superstars that won a Cup late into their careers. Stevie Y. was 32 and Mario was 26 when they broke through.

I am not saying JBot is doing a great job, but I think he needs a bit more time.

I am frustrated like many but I guess I’ve been backing this team for so long I am numb to the pain now.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JKB1646 said:

You can read right? YOUNG defensive core. Defensemen don’t come into there own in the nhl until they 24 or so. Risto is having one of his best years. 

JBOT will no doubt stay and have his contract extended unless the bottom completely fails out and I don’t see that happen. 

This is getting annoying.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, JKB1646 said:

This is just false outright. NHL defenders typically arrive in year 3 or 4 as to who they are going to be. It has far less to do with the age of the player and far more to do with number of games and seasons played. Risto isn't better because he hit this fake number. He is better because Krueger isn't asking him to do things he will never be good at: solo zone exits, precision passing exits, decision making. He fixed Risto by simplifying what he has to do and not asking him to do things he can't. 

Also Risto is in year 7 (we can say 6 since year 1 was shortened) of his NHL career. I would say that games played is a better number. Forward seem to hit their stride around game 150-200 and defenders around 200-250. Risto is at 466 games played. He is the player he is going to be. So you can either take that and play to his strengths (what Krueger is doing) or you can try to argue he will magically get better because he hit an age threshold. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Curt said:

I’ve always been one who like Botterill .  I’m souring on him a little bit though.  He has been a mixed bag.  I see both good and bad moves, and a lot of “meh” moves too.

Still, I think I’m willing to let him see through this coming offseason.  It’s going to be a pretty important one.  Some of the older guard coming off the books and there will some cash available.  

Regardless, I think his job is safe until the 2021 offseason.  I just feel that he has sold ownership on this slow build.

This

Skinner out and VO Out and with them all our scoring not named Jack.

Jbot replaces them with Frolik and Wilson. 

The goaltending in spotty.  The special teams are bad.  

We have a 1st line center and a 4th center and nothing in between. 

Unless Jbot can find better replacement players and a real center, this team will be lucky to win 12 games the rest of the year.

I’ve been a Jbot supporter but enough is enough.  His continued failure to address the 2c issue he created (or was forced to create) is now the straw that is breaking this camels back.  His failure to put Mitts in the minors earlier also isn’t helping.  

Enough is enough. Fix this mess.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Skinner out and VO Out and with them all our scoring not named Jack.

Jbot replaces them with Frolik and Wilson. 

The goaltending in spotty.  The special teams are bad.  

We have a 1st line center and a 4th center and nothing in between. 

Unless Jbot can find better replacement players and a real center, this team will be lucky to win 12 games the rest of the year.

I’ve been a Jbot supporter but enough is enough.  His continued failure to address the 2c issue he created (or was forced to create) is now the straw that is breaking this camels back.  His failure to put Mitts in the minors earlier also isn’t helping.  

Enough is enough. Fix this mess.

It’s about time the Botteril apologists saw the light. Welcome to reality. Unfortunately it’s not pretty.  Mitts is a disaster and may never be an NHL player.  

Who would be the best experienced GM to hire now if we could fire Botteril?

8 minutes ago, freester said:

It’s about time the Botteril apologists saw the light. Welcome to reality. Unfortunately it’s not pretty.  Mitts is a disaster and may never be an NHL player.  

We aren’t firing Jbot.  He has this year and next, but the fire is starting to burn under the hot seat.

17 minutes ago, freester said:

I don't think there are Botterill apologists. There are those that however have balanced the good with the bad. JBot is a mixed bag IMPO. Patience with him however wears very thin. 

The reason many of us support Jbot is we have seen TM.  

This is not to rehash TM, but to see if Jbot can find a solution to the current crisis in with this team.  

I guess this is Vesey or Sheary opportunity to pad their stats on Jacks wing, but I am no longer excepting any excuses for no longer finding a capable center.  I’ll accept a proven 3rd line center so can play up for 1/2 a season, but adding another useless winger makes little sense even with the injuries.  We have mediocre wingers who would be better with a decent center.  Frolik is more of same and needs a center to be effective.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Our special teams are God Awful.  How the hell can the PP be this bad with Eichel and Dahlin??

It reminds me of the year under Ruff with the Sabres having Drury, Briere, Campbell and all kinds of firepower where they win the Presidents Trophy and we couldn't even get a zone entry on the PP.  People were literally calling for the team to decline the power play because we were so much better 5 on 5.  Not quite there yet with this team, but getting pretty close.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Our special teams are God Awful.  How the hell can the PP be this bad with Eichel and Dahlin??

It reminds me of the year under Ruff with the Sabres having Drury, Briere, Campbell and all kinds of firepower where they win the Presidents Trophy and we couldn't even get a zone entry on the PP.  People were literally calling for the team to decline the power play because we were so much better 5 on 5.  Not quite there yet with this team, but getting pretty close.

It seemed that the league took notice of the umbrella setup 12 games in, and RK has done nothing to change it since. That’s on him.

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 1

Not only am I frustrated with Jbot but I’m also disappointed with RK.  The poor special teams and his refusal to try move Samson off Jack’s line to try to get Skinner going before the injury have left a bad taste in my mouth.  

Our bad special teams and Skinner’s and MoJo’s slumps were and are not new issues but have existed for over 60 days but he has failed to successful address these issues.

• Like (+1) 1

i just wish they would see Jbotts is not the guy to lead us anywhere. The sooner they see that the better. The guy has sat around and watched the ship sink for too long. Only so long you can blame TM. Im not all for firing and starting over all the time but god this guy is awful and seems to want to fill our roster with 3rd and 4th line players which he has successfully done. going into the offseason everyone said we need 2nd line scoring we need a 2c and what does he do he trades for more d than can be rostered and does nothing to improve our offense. This team is damn near unwatchable and he continues to do nothing and say it all starts with building in the minors!  So im guessing all this losing is ok with the Sabres fans as long as the Amerks are there in the end while we continue to drown in years of incompetence.

23 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Yet to see someone who wants Botterill fired to come up with any realistic alternative timeline that would've made a difference.  Assume ROR was a decision from above, and those UFA's Botterill offered more money to and didn't land no other GM would have either.

Yes we all want something to happen today, but trades are hard.  He still managed to get us a bonafide ELC top-2 defenseman for a total bust and Jeff Skinner for a 2nd round pick.  Our future outlook is great.  It's just six more months until he can really start focusing on winning now without having to hemorrhage the future to do so.

Cmon do you actually believe that? after this year hell have 4 years of not even sniffing the playoffs. Dude is a dud get rid of him asap. I was not on the fire him train at the beginning of the year because i felt as though even though he didn't address scoring in the offseason he had something up his sleeve with all the excess d-men. Now everyone wants out we have too many and we are operating from a position of desperation not of power. Nothing he has done shows me he is even the slight bit able to bring us out of the basement and to the playoffs.  I couldn't stand Murray but at least he went for it. He failed miserably but at least he went for something didn't just sit back and watch the ship sink

Half of the forward group has been basically useless this year. Aside from the top line, the only line that's clicked at all is the checking line. That's two  secondary scoring lines that can't score, and a third line that's not supposed to score much anyway. Your $72 million dollar goal scorer has disappeared. 

You have a bona-fide superstar center and the clock is ticking to build a team around him. I don't see any significant improvements coming down the pipeline for at least 2 years, and that's if the prospects actually pan out. The head coach's visionary rhetoric is starting to sound like a lot of bloviated new-age lip service. 

Defense has improved dramatically, but half the forwards and half the goalies are flat-out bad. It's just not a good roster, and that's on the GM. He should be on thin ice. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We aren’t firing Jbot.  He has this year and next, but the fire is starting to burn under the hot seat.

What makes you say he has all of next year as well?  I think that's far from determined at this point.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:37 PM, Weave said:

Hire a hockey prez first.

This is the best answer.  It takes Pegula off the hook of firing yet another GM and coach  -  4 GMs in a decade would be crazy.  Plus Patty LaFontaine quitting, plus Ruff/Rolston/Nolan/ Disco Dan/ Housley all fired. 

NO ONE GOOD -  not a Player/ Coach/ GM -  will EVER come here if JBOT does not get his full term. JBOT may be inexpereinced and over his head but he is a respected young exec and the others are watching. 

Hire a President with GM Experience.   Let JBOT handle the GM duties of cap and contracts and other business related stuff.  The Prez handles scouting/ the draft/ trades - i.e, the Prez is responsible for the players on the ice. 

This solution allows us to keep RK and the Prez has time to make future changes without disruption. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.