Jason Botterill Needs To Go?

WildCard

I’ve liked some moves but other bonehead moves have cancelled out the good. After seeing the revolving door that is the gm position here kicking him to the curb wouldn’t surprise me in the least. Hiring another rookie wouldn’t surprise me either. Its the Sabres.

Depends.  Who's choosing his replacement?  If it's Terri, it doesn't matter.  If it's a capable President of Hockey Operations, then there's no way JNOT (thanks Tom Webster) stays.

And to think, I was a fairly big supporter of JNOT over the summer and into the beginning of this season.  That's how bad this season has turned out to be.  Something is very, very wrong with this franchise, from the very top all the way down.

• Like (+1) 3

The day Pegula figures out who can be the McDermott/Beane equivalent combo for the Sabres, assuming RK and Botterill are not it, they are gone. Otherwise, I see Pegula sitting on this tandem until then to help soften the revolving-door image. If Botterill can muster up the courage to do his job, then with RK he can probably have a team that is at least a bubble team, which is all the fan-base needs in the short-term.

23 minutes ago, Hank said:

I like the long term vision. I think he gets two more years after this one before he's on the hot seat. 

Not sure he'll get 5 years if the 1st 4 bring no results, but he almost definitely has been assured a 4th year.

Not as convinced giving him the 4th year is as positively wrong as most here are about it.  But unless they go on a mini-tear (4-0-0 SHOULD be very doable), am ready to be as miserable about this season as most everybody else is.  And still am adamant that Botterill needed to convert some of that D depth into a 2C for this season.  (Only because he didn't convert some of his found cap space last year on a 2C.  That should also have happened.)

If this team fires kruegar, I will be done as a Sabres fan. 

There is no way that he can turn this team around in 1 year. I suspect it will take 2.5 to 3 years to get this team back into the mindset of winning. Having a revolving door of gm and coaches are not going to fix it. 

The owners of the team allowed them to tank. They were left with nothing of value when they got jack. No player is going to want to play here without being overpaid. then you deal with cap problems because you're overpaying. 

The team needs to draft well and develop well to bring up these young players into a new system. 

The only people to blame is the pegula at this point. 

I know we all want to see the team win, but it's going to take a long time, and proves that tanking is not the way to go

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, miles said:

There is no way that he can turn this team around in 1 year. I suspect it will take 2.5 to 3 years to get this team back into the mindset of winning. Having a revolving door of gm and coaches are not going to fix it. 

The owners of the team allowed them to tank. They were left with nothing of value when they got jack. No player is going to want to play here without being overpaid. then you deal with cap problems because you're overpaying. 

The team needs to draft well and develop well to bring up these young players into a new system. 

The only people to blame is the pegula at this point. 

I know we all want to see the team win, but it's going to take a long time, and proves that tanking is not the way to go

It proves that tanking and then not rebuilding properly is not the way to go. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Yet to see someone who wants Botterill fired to come up with any realistic alternative timeline that would've made a difference.  Assume ROR was a decision from above, and those UFA's Botterill offered more money to and didn't land no other GM would have either.

Yes we all want something to happen today, but trades are hard.  He still managed to get us a bonafide ELC top-2 defenseman for a total bust and Jeff Skinner for a 2nd round pick.  Our future outlook is great.  It's just six more months until he can really start focusing on winning now without having to hemorrhage the future to do so.

Edited by triumph_communes

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Yet to see someone who wants Botterill fired to come up with any realistic alternative timeline that would've made a difference.  Assume ROR was a decision from above, and those UFA's Botterill offered more money to and didn't land no other GM would have either.

Yes we all want something to happen today, but trades are hard.  He still managed to get us a bonafide ELC top-2 defenseman for a total bust and Jeff Skinner for a 2nd round pick.  Our future outlook is great.  It's just six more months until he can really start focusing on winning now without having to hemorrhage the future to do so.

What is the bolded based on?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Asserting that there is no realistic path for the 2016-17 Sabres that avoids pushing off hope for mere wild card CONTENTION, ie a finish simply in the top 48% of all NHL teams, for FOUR FULL SEASONS after a group with Eichel, Reinhart, ROR, Kane, and a normal prospect pool/distribution of upcoming picks is far more outlandish than your claim that day-to-day posting should have given you access to "alternative timeline" of moves to date that would make us good now, from agitated Sabrespace posters. That's a bizarrely specific request, and a mediocre attempted deflection from a string of horrendous offseasons that have continued a horrendous product that has yet to replicate a season of the quality that his predecessors were FIRED for. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Even if that's true your GM has to be able to convince the owners of the right path, even if it puts their neck on the line. Terry isn't Jerry Jones or even Ralph, I think if a Smart Hockey Guy told him it would be a huge mistake and really put himself out there for it they'd listen. At the end of the day either Botterill agreed with the idea or didn't have enough of a backbone to fight against it, either of which is a failing of the GM.

18 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dan Snyder Happy Thanksgiving is trending.

Mayor Brown... Ted Black.

Snyder fired Bruce Allen, former Redskin head coach George Allen's son.

I'd like to time travel and give Brent Ruff a big hug.

I miss Ghost of Dwight Drane.

Five separate sentences or thought fragments.  One coherent post!

I don't know where I am.  I so enjoyed ZFG.  I was PSYCHED for Disco Dan (as he was brought to life, literally created before our eyes, by GoDD).

I have no answer. However, I am a Teddy Roosevelt fan.  The man in the arena (ironic) is lonely.  I keep JBot for two more if this year exceeds last (likely) and next year exceeds this.  The trajectory in hockey, up and down, has a lesser slope than it does in football.

Fantasy night:  Beers in some tavern with Jbot, Beane, McDermott and Krueger.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve always been one who like Botterill .  I’m souring on him a little bit though.  He has been a mixed bag.  I see both good and bad moves, and a lot of “meh” moves too.

Still, I think I’m willing to let him see through this coming offseason.  It’s going to be a pretty important one.  Some of the older guard coming off the books and there will some cash available.  

Regardless, I think his job is safe until the 2021 offseason.  I just feel that he has sold ownership on this slow build.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, miles said:

If they fire Krueger but keep JBot I'm right there with you. My own view, as I've already stated in other threads is you can only change the culture with a complete change of everything and if Krueger went with that I'd accept it. He'd be the last one on the list for firing though imo. 

Given that a complete change is next to impossible (there isn't the will or patience for it) I'd hire a prez as Weave suggested or a director of hockey operations or whatever you want to call it. A grizzly veteran no nonsense hockey guy. Maybe Dudley. Maybe a  Sutter. Burke. I dunno. Just somebody to change the culture, cause the culture needs changing desperately. 

JBot worked under an owner that understands hockey. Since our owner clearly doesn't, we need someone in that role above him. 

Also fire all the scouts unless we start seeing some picks becoming players soon. 

How are the Rochester Americans doing? Very well! We have Captain for years to come. Our defensive core is very young group that is set for the future. We have our two goalies for the future( sorry not you Carter!). Defense wins Championships! 
JBOT most definitely stays!  Go Bills. ( another team with a very good defense)

26 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

How are the Rochester Americans doing? Very well! We have Captain for years to come. Our defensive core is very young group that is set for the future. We have our two goalies for the future( sorry not you Carter!). Defense wins Championships! 

Botterill’s burner account

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

23rd in goals against last year, 20th this year

You can read right? YOUNG defensive core. Defensemen don’t come into there own in the nhl until they 24 or so. Risto is having one of his best years. 

JBOT will no doubt stay and have his contract extended unless the bottom completely fails out and I don’t see that happen. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.