GDT: Oilers @ Sabres; 1-2-2020, 7pm EDT

WildCard

Just now, inkman said:

Jack reppin the Bills hat.  Doubling down on I'm staying here and we're gonna do this *****!

The Sabres have put me in a dark (sports) place, and Jack's demeanor through all of the last two seasons is something that's keeping me away from the edge of the (sports) cliff. I am very grateful for him on many levels

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In all the penalty shot excitement, did anyone notice the Hasek-esque save Smith made on Rhinehart? That was sick.

3v3 might not be hockey, but it's guaranteed entertainment 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Nod to Ralph for that strategy paying off. 

Of course I probably railed on Phil when he did this with Sobotka last year, so nevermind, ur so dumb Ralph! 

It's a bad strategy. Glad it worked, but having Lazar on the ice 3v3 is likely a loser over time. 

7 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Honestly, I think Jack can dominate more than McDavid.  McD might be better at using his teammates, but as a one man show I'll take Jack, thankyouverymuch.

Nah. Jack is incredible, but McDavid is more dominant in every way. 

1 minute ago, TrueBlueGED said:

It's a bad strategy. Glad it worked, but having Lazar on the ice 3v3 is likely a loser over time. 

Nah. Jack is incredible, but McDavid is more dominant in every way. 

I think McD’s dominance is based on his speed, no one is at his level.  He has sick hands but a few others others including Jack are more pure goal scorers.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

The Sabres have put me in a dark (sports) place, and Jack's demeanor through all of the last two seasons is something that's keeping me away from the edge of the (sports) cliff. I am very grateful for him on many levels

3v3 might not be hockey, but it's guaranteed entertainment 

Yes...Jack is walking the walk with regards to his growth as a/the leader on this team.  I remember a couple years ago when between periods he had a completely dejected look on his face and Russ Brandon ended up talking to him afterwards.  Fast forward to today, he has impressed me with how he handles his interviews and leadership with other players.  I remember how he was talking to Dahlin on the bench when the coach benched Dahlin in the last period of that game.

2 minutes ago, Beer said:

I think McD’s dominance is based on his speed, no one is at his level.  He has sick hands but a few others others including Jack are more pure goal scorers.  

Jack has averaged .39 goals per game since being drafted. McDavid has averaged .46. Jack has a better shot, but that doesn't make him a better goal scorer. 

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Jack is more tenacious, more physical.

More physical, sure, but I don't think he's any more tenacious than McDavid. 

I just don't understand this need to make Jack as good or better than McDavid. We can acknowledge McDavid is the best player in the league without it being a slight on Jack or making us unhappy we have Jack. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Nod to Ralph for that strategy paying off. 

Of course I probably railed on Phil when he did this with Sobotka last year, so nevermind, ur so dumb Ralph! 

Of course, Krueger had Lazar actually get off the friggin' ice after winning the faceoff.  Did Sobotka EVER head directly to the bench?  (Note: heading there after losing the faceoff cleanly and then the puck going into the net doesn't count for this exercise.)

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In all the penalty shot excitement, did anyone notice the Hasek-esque save Smith made on Rhinehart? That was sick.

That WAS sick.  And then pretending he'd hurt himself to get the whistle was shameful.

8 minutes ago, inkman said:

Jack reppin the Bills hat.  Doubling down on I'm staying here and we're gonna do this *****!

But, but, every SINGLE Sabre wants out of Buffalo.  (Pretty sure we were told all the married ones want out too. ? )

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Against the Oilers, Eichel has 6 goals and 11 points in 9 games. 

Against the Sabres, McDavid has 3 goals and 8 points in 9 games.

The Sabres are 6-3-1 against the Oilers since the McEichel draft.

For the record, I don't think these numbers mean anything at all. 

But they combine with the continued malaise of each franchise (and Jack's fantastic abilities) to make me far less pained that we lost that lottery than I ever imagined being.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That was tough to watch. You know he’s a Pats fan. How could he not be? Good soldier, though.

I thought he seemed genuinely jazzed. He's likely hung out with some of the Bills which would go a long way into making him want to support his buds on the football team over his childhood hand-me-down team.

4 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Jack has averaged .39 goals per game since being drafted. McDavid has averaged .46. Jack has a better shot, but that doesn't make him a better goal scorer. 

Fine, but it’s his speed that leads to goals.  When I say pure goal scorer, I’m talking about a guy who has a lethal shot (velocity and ability to place it). 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.