A flaw in Krueger's game plan

Doohickie

One thing I've noticed when the Sabres are trying to control the puck in the offensive zone is that when the puck is ringed around the boards, the Sabres rotate in the same direction as the puck movement.  Opponents will typically identify the approaching puck and skate in the opposite direction- i.e., they skate toward the approaching puck.  It seems to me that this happens constantly and is one of the ways the Sabres lose control in the offensive zone.

As a specific example, Reinhart is next to the net.  The puck is ringed around from the point or halfboards, and Reino will skate behind the net, then turn in the same direction the puck is moving, expecting it to reach him.  Instead, the opposing defender will skate toward the puck and intercept it before it gets to Reino.  It's like the Sabres follow the flow and opponents know that they can disrupt that flow.  I picked on Reino but he's not the only one.

You'll see the same thing the puck is passed back to the point:  The defenseman will wait for the puck to get there instead of approaching the puck and beating the other player to it.  I realize there is risk when a defenseman pinches, but if the Sabres are in control and covering properly, the Dman should be backed up.  And if he knows he can get to the puck first if he skates toward it, why should he wait back at the point?

You know who doesn't do this?  The LOG line.  If the puck is there, they skate toward it.  The rest of the team takes 50-50 pucks and turns them into 20-80 chances; the LOG line makes them into 80-20 chances by skating at the puck.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

The players away from the puck are the most guilty of this.  I'm sure they are instructed to move to the puck, as you've alluded to but it's at the detriment of forward momentum. Giving the opposing teams longer to assess the situation and attack the puck carriers.  Almost every pass has me screaming at the TV.  I don't understand what they are trying to do. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

I don't think they have competent teachers or students.  Maybe both.  If the LOG line is doing it, then they are getting the proper source material, it just seems like they are incapable of executing. Risto is absolutely the biggest offender.  He makes the wrong decision with the puck nearly every time. Dahlin isn't exactly void of these mistakes as well. Jokiharju can make nice plays with stretch passes but more than a few times yesterday I was asking myself what the hell he was doing.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not too concerned about their play in the offensive zone, or the neutral zone, or transition or zone entries.... those are all fine.

Defensive zone play is the worst in the league and it's not even close.  The amount of time and space they give the opposition reminds me of pickup hockey.    The players on the ice simply do not defend with any urgency whatsoever.    It's like they don't care one bit if the other team gets prime scoring chances. 

On the 5th Tampa goal, Dahlin is covering Killorn one-on-one and just kind of reaches at him instead of moving his feet and engaging him physicalyl by getting his body inside.... he just moves half-heartedly to stay near him... so he has an easy tap in, uncontested.    And on that same play, Montour is playing 7 feet off the puck carrier, trying to block the pass... why not close that gap and take away time and space?  It's must be an absolute dream to play against that type of defense.    

It takes effort and heart to defend, and this team simply doesn't have it.    They have a bunch of offensively biased defensemen who can all skate well and move the puck, but they can't defend to save their lives.     

Screenshot_20200101-162546_NHL.jpg

Edited by pi2000

What you're all saying isn't wrong, but I think the biggest problem is our play in front of the net (both ends). We don't clear rebounds, we don't tie up the opposition in front, we don't screen well and we don't get in tight and dig for rebounds. The most important area of the ice, and aside from the Larsson line occasionally, we are useless in that area. 

The other thing I see is we still pass poorly and lack the awareness of where linemates are. Everything is far too centered on Eichel always carrying the puck and controlling the play. It's a simplistic and easy to defend approach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.