GDT Lightning at Sabres 12/31/19 7pm

SwampD

5 hours ago, Weave said:

I think what they are trying to stop is the "call up the tough guy to get even" stuff.  Yesterday was right there with when we obtained Scott and the league made it known that they weren't going to tolerate Kaleta and Scott antics to make up for Miller-Lucic.  And they threw the book at those two (rather unfairly IMO) with great frequency.  The reaction to McCabe seemed eerily similar.  That response was very manufactured.

It appears to me that the league is OK with organic toughness in play but is going to take a firm stance against manufactured, staged toughness.  And last night was the former.

You know, was thinking about this post, and its premise REALLY is frustrating.  (Not you, but the league is frustrating if you are correct.)

Still believe it was simply a case of inconsistent/ bad reffing.  But if you're right and this was per some sort of leaguewide stance against "manufactured" toughness, then this league is even more bush league than we regularly accuse it of being.  If you're right, then 2 points: 1 - teams like the Sabres that aren't primarily physical in general are screwed; and 2 - how can the league have such an edict without the Sabres brass being aware of it?

6 hours ago, Weave said:

I think what they are trying to stop is the "call up the tough guy to get even" stuff.  Yesterday was right there with when we obtained Scott and the league made it known that they weren't going to tolerate Kaleta and Scott antics to make up for Miller-Lucic.  And they threw the book at those two (rather unfairly IMO) with great frequency.  The reaction to McCabe seemed eerily similar.  That response was very manufactured.

It appears to me that the league is OK with organic toughness in play but is going to take a firm stance against manufactured, staged toughness.  And last night was the former.

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

You know, was thinking about this post, and its premise REALLY is frustrating.  (Not you, but the league is frustrating if you are correct.)

Still believe it was simply a case of inconsistent/ bad reffing.  But if you're right and this was per some sort of leaguewide stance against "manufactured" toughness, then this league is even more bush league than we regularly accuse it of being.  If you're right, then 2 points: 1 - teams like the Sabres that aren't primarily physical in general are screwed; and 2 - how can the league have such an edict without the Sabres brass being aware of it?

I believe this is true. I just find it curious which teams they decide it’s organic (MFTs) and which teams they don’t.

PA said last night that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

In the NHL, sometimes a penalty is just a penalty,... unless it’s not called.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

I believe this is true. I just find it curious which teams they decide it’s organic (MFTs) and which teams they don’t.

PA said last night that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

In the NHL, sometimes a penalty is just a penalty,... unless it’s not called.

I dunno, man. They could put a video of McCabe there in a video rule book next to Instigating. What are we arguing about again? That if Tampa had done it, it wouldn't have been a penalty because they are a favored team? Some level of  bias in officiating, I can get there with you. Something that overt, which is pretty close to how professional wrestling is "officiated"? I can't.

43 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I dunno, man. They could put a video of McCabe there in a video rule book next to Instigating. What are we arguing about again? That if Tampa had done it, it wouldn't have been a penalty because they are a favored team? Some level of  bias in officiating, I can get there with you. Something that overt, which is pretty close to how professional wrestling is "officiated"? I can't.

Well, we know for a fact that there is some level of bias in the officiating. There are emails that prove the NHL know this as well. Not sure why this is still being argued.

58 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Speaking of wrestling... toward end of Isle game Jack was tackled going to the net no call and there were at least 2-3 other blatant non calls yet the Sabres farted on an Isles player and got called... Bias yup believe it happens.  But Sabres arent good enough yet to even really close complain.

Edited by North Buffalo

17 hours ago, Weave said:

And the more I think about this post, which I agree with, the more it makes me crazy.

Do we really want refs making moral judgements on penalties?

Ref’s thought process - “Well, that should be a penalty,... but those guys are always *****, so I’m not going to call it.”

Edited by SwampD
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Nitro60 said:

Talking totality of a decade.  One good year but they stunk the other nine.  Sabres had a better record overall

Someone posted a table that showed the Sabres were dead last in total points for the decade (actually Vegas but they only played 2 years).  

Edited by Gatorman0519

The more I think about solving the Sabres issues, I keep coming back back to three players.

I’ll start with the guy I think is the best fit age, cap and skills wise and who I think we have a legit shot of acquiring and that is Adam Henrique.  He is a 40 pt player with a history of being a 20 goal scorer.  He also wins the majority of his faceoffs which we also desperately need.  He is 29 and has 4 years left at 5.875 per season.  I think he’d be a perfect placeholder until Cozens is ready.  He adds veteran leadership and would likely remain a fit as a 3rd line C as he plays out years 3 & 4 of his deal.  My guess is that rebuilding Ana would like to get his cap of the books but he has a M-NTC.  

Of course what would be cost and would he waive his M-NTC to come back East? 

My second choice is Kopitar.  He has a NMC, is already 32 and has 4 years left at 10 mill per season. He’d be hard to fit under the cap and is unlikely to want to leave LA, but adding him would save the season.

Lastly I’d love to get Dylan Larkin from the Wings.  Obviously they are unlikely to move him, but he’d make us a contender immediately.  He’d be a perfect compliment to Jack and he’s already locked up to a reasonable 6 mill per season deal.  I’d even offer Samson to the wings to get him.

On 12/31/2019 at 9:20 PM, SabresBillsFan said:

Josh Allen isn’t an accurate passer and to me he isn’t the answer long term. 

...i understand where you are coming from....im kinda between you and the people who think he is on the verge of being favre or elway.

i think his decision making is a bigger problem than his accuracy.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.