GDT Lightning at Sabres 12/31/19 7pm

SwampD

edmonton and buffalo have nearly the same team.EDM will be below .500(not really a legit .500) anymore before the season is over. Sabres might be the worst team in the NHL exc detroit before its over this year.

PLEASE---MGMT---do something already!!!!!

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

This is a good point. While I'm thoroughly enjoying this Bills season, I'm not delusional enough to think they've turned any corner.  They still seem fairly inept at figuring out anything offensively. Hopefully they figure it out but in not holding my breath. 

Seems like the sabres board is much more rational about the Bills than the Bills board is.On the Bills board JA is a season away from being Favre or Elway.

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

This is a good point. While I'm thoroughly enjoying this Bills season, I'm not delusional enough to think they've turned any corner.  They still seem fairly inept at figuring out anything offensively. Hopefully they figure it out but in not holding my breath. 

I do love watching the Bills defense play though.They are very good .

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

I like that Allen is super competitive but he’s not that accurate and it seems like when’s he has to make a play he can’t. You either have it in you or you don’t and I just don’t see it. As far as the Sabres go it’s like they can’t figure it out. If your a player for this team it’s got to be frustrating. 

13 minutes ago, calti said:

edmonton and buffalo have nearly the same team.EDM will be below .500(not really a legit .500) anymore before the season is over. Sabres might be the worst team in the NHL exc detroit before its over this year.

PLEASE---MGMT---do something already!!!!!

Seems like the sabres board is much more rational about the Bills than the Bills board is.On the Bills board JA is a season away from being Favre or Elway.

Josh Allen isn’t an accurate passer and to me he isn’t the answer long term. 

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Kucherov right to dalhins head, Cmon!!!  kuch knocked out sobotka and is almost as dirty as Marchand and we just do nothing. 

All this hubub of Dalton and the Mcabe nonsense and that happens to a guy that was just out with a concussion, and not even a pulse. 

I just can't even understand, where is this team (I don't want to even call them a team) this is not the Buffalo Sabres I grew up idolizing, loving and wanting too see every time they played, win or lose. This is a collection of weak spirited boys. 

We've moved beyond the winning and losing at this point to something more troubling 

It's been this way for a decade now, at least.  It was a problem with the old team before it got blown up too.

Hockey has transformed as a sport, particularly at the NHL level and during the regular season over the last 20 years. 

I find it mostly boring now, though one or two games in every 10 might be fun to watch.

It's funny, but my interest in this game tonight peaked when McCabe took on Kucherov and got bloodied for his efforts. 

Finally some drama, narrative tension, and players who seem to actually care about what they are doing for a living!  

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Sergachev taunting the crowd afterward....... I think it was a momentum changer as well.  they got there swagger back after that fight.

and that's the moment we lost the edge we were building and went back to being what we are - feckless.

That taunt should have generated further responses from other players the minute he was out of the box if not sooner against others. It's a hopeless situation and it should be blown up. Team needs a total overhaul. 

You can't change a culture unless you completely change it. Everybody has to go. GM, players, coaches, equipment managers, trainers, doctors, staff, announcers, everybody

4 hours ago, Sabre1974 said:

One good thing this season. Asplund seems to have earned his spot. I would also keep Lazar around. Will be interesting to see what happens with Rodrigues

Why is this a good thing?   Our bottom 6 forwards are nothing special.  Improve the top 6 and drive some of the existing top 6 down and some of the existing bottom 6 out.  That is how you improve.  

Right now Reinhart and Mojo look like 3rd line players.  They are killing our PP too. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Billznut said:

After Botts screwed the pooch on the O’Reilly trade, GMs all over the NHL think they can do it to him again. He’s not being offered anything fair. Not defending him. I want him gone. But he created the mess he is in. He won’t be able to get out of it. 

Botterill has suggested the same. He should be a dead man walking.

10 hours ago, inkman said:

Right on the money as far as the Bills are concerned. I'm enjoying the ride as well but its an unfinished project. They are two good drafts away, 2-3 quality free agent pick ups (because they will lose players as well) and a fairly large improvement in the QB before we can say they are a consistent winner that can go deep into playoffs.

Edited by KC Scouts

43 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why is this a good thing?   Our bottom 6 forwards are nothing special.  Improve the top 6 and drive some of the existing top 6 down and some of the existing bottom 6 out.  That is how you improve.  

Right now Reinhart and Mojo look like 3rd line players.  They are killing our PP too. 

I'm on the trade Sam Reinhart train. He does nothing for me, soft play, rarely scores a significant goal. Twice last night he was all alone in front of net with oodles of time and can't put it in. Reinhart is not worth the money he is going to want. He may be one of a few players on our squad other teams are interested in. I'm convinced he's a dud for the Buffalo Sabres, he may succeed somewhere else but not here mostly because he does not live up to the expectations of living up to where he was drafted. Look no further than the Edmonton players of the same ilk. 

Edited by KC Scouts
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Weave said:

Sergachev taunting the crowd afterward....... I think it was a momentum changer as well.  they got there swagger back after that fight.

Nah.  That’s great Lightning PR fodder for Sergchev, but not exactly what happened.  We scored a shorty during McCabe's instigator penalty.  We continued to control the play and had  a PP that should have blown the game open.  Segachev’s silly taunt notwithstanding,  we had our foot on their necks and I don’t think anybody was intimidated.    The Sabres had all the momentum after that fight.    

I think the momentum change occurred on Mojo’s hooking penalty while we were on the PP.  They scored on their PP.  That is when we stopped playing good hockey.   Then Tyler Johnson got behind our  defense and bang  4-3, new game.  Remember, we were used  to rolling 7 defenseman, now we have 5.  We failed to adapt and adjust.  

I did not agree with the instigator call on McCabe, especially when Sergachev dropped them first.  The loss of McCabe for 17 minutes really hurt.  We could have used McCabe on the next two PK’s where were gave up goals with him sitting out.   The Refs knew  damm well were upset about the past few games against Tampa and they really  hurt us with a 17 minute call.  There were no calls on the hits on Sobotka and Dahlin so the Sabres take matters in their own hands and get 17 minutes in penalties for it.   Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.   I guess bad teams don’t get any slack from the officials either?  

The hook called on Mojo I would like to see again, in fast motion it looked tick tack.  I summarize this game and this team like this  -  the Sabres are a mentally weak team that has lacked true leadership for a long time.  With McCabe out they needed to dig deeper and continue taking the play to Tampa.  In the start of the GDT I said we needed to win on special teams and it turns out that is where we lost.  Again.  

Let face it, they have a better team, more talent on every line, better coaching, better front office,  better player development.  That is 7 straight losses to a division team.   At least this Sabres team has a few players with the awareness to hate losing.  The one thing RK seems to bring is a consistent message that they own this and they have to change it.  So I prefer fighting and losing to losing and not fighting.  

Turning to the root cause of this teams decade long problems, it’s the Front Office.  Strategy, Culture, and Leadership starts on top and it is missing.  Somehow, since 2011 this once proud Sabres franchise has become the California-Oakland Seals of my youth - a helpless and hopeless franchise.   This is not what Pegula intended and he needs to find the right people to fix this. 

Maybe Botterill’s inability to make a helpful trade is a blessing.  At this point I don’t trust him with the limited assets we have.  

I am probably sounding repetitive.   I am worn out by 10 years of bad hockey. 

• Like (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

I'm on the trade Sam Reinhart train. He does nothing for me, soft play, rarely scores a significant goal. Twice last night he was all alone in front of net with oodles of time and can't put it in. Reinhart is not worth the money he is going to want. He may be one of a few players on our squad other teams are interested in. I'm convinced he's a dud for the Buffalo Sabres, he may succeed somewhere else but not here mostly because he does not live up to the expectations of living up to where he was drafted. Look no further than the Edmonton players of the same ilk. 

I didn’t say trade him.  I said he looks like a 3rd liner.  He is not stepping up his game and seems to be behind the play or a half second slow around the net.  He is frustrated too, you can see it.  

Right now I don’t trust Botterill to trade him.  I prefer we hire an experienced and proven GM and let him sort it all out.    Boterill’s inaction could be a blessing.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t say trade him.  I said he looks like a 3rd liner.  He is not stepping up his game and seems to be behind the play or a half second slow around the net.  He is frustrated too, you can see it.  

Right now I don’t trust Botterill to trade him.  I prefer we hire an experienced and proven GM and let him sort it all out.    Boterill’s inaction could be a blessing.  

It’s sad because the fans of Buffalo and I’m talking both teams deserve better. I moved away to Vegas back in 89 and have followed the Sabres constantly until we got the Golden Knights. Now most people here in Vegas are Knights fans even though they came from other hockey markets. The building has an energy that I can say most nhl teams don’t have. I watched that game last night with Buffalo and Tampa and there is no way you blow a 4-1 lead at home. Buffalo has a lot of youthful legs and they were outworked the second half of the game. Eichel is on another level this year and it’s sad to see because he’s basically carrying this team by himself. We all know they need to make some trades but what do you really expect to get for Bogo, Scandella, and Miller? Miller who was here in Vegas wasn’t that bad when he was here. I know he fell out of favor in year 2 but was pretty decent in our expansion year. Guy can skate and has a rocket shot when it actually hits the net. He makes some pretty poor decisions with the puck sometimes and doesn’t want to take a hit to make a play. I don’t know what Buffalo has to do to fix this mess it’s like a complete overhaul of the hockey department. I have been saying for like 20 years a team like Buffalo and I’m talking both the Sabres and Bills needs to find their talent through the draft because premier players aren’t signing contracts in free agency to go to Buffalo. It ain’t happening!

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

You not feel at this moment that asplund and Lazar are better bottom 6 options?  Not expecting them to be top 6. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.