GDT Lightning at Sabres 12/31/19 7pm

SwampD

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

No.  Why do people complain when we don’t  fight, then question it when we do?  

We scored a shorty after the fight. We had the crowd excited and the momentum.  The. We got a PP that went bad.   The tide turned on the bad call to a Mojo for hooking when we were on that  PP.  They scored and took over from there.  

I agree, we opened a 4-1 lead after the altercation, and lets face it. Sergachev was challenged to a fight he didn't have time to think of the ramifications.

Just now, Pimlach said:

No.  Why do people complain when we don’t  fight, then question it when we do?  

We scored a shorty after the fight. We had the crowd excited and the momentum.  The. We got a PP that went bad.   The tide turned on the bad call to a Mojo for hooking when we were on that  PP.  They scored and took over from there.  

You could very well be right, truly.   Twenty five Lightning players and coaches disagree.  I know that the rest of the game (absent the spectacular shorty) was Tampa’s.   And, to be clear.  I want a tough team to play against, grit and grind and stick up for one another.  I don’t think McCabe’s fight was any of that.   I think it was more “they roasted me a few weeks ago, I’d better do something here”.

3 minutes ago, Neo said:

You could very well be right, truly.   Twenty five Lightning players and coaches disagree.  I know that the rest of the game (absent the spectacular shorty) was Tampa’s.   And, to be clear.  I want a tough team to play against, grit and grind and stick up for one another.  I don’t think McCabe’s fight was any of that.   I think it was more “they roasted me a few weeks ago, I’d better do something here”.

Sergachev taunting the crowd afterward....... I think it was a momentum changer as well.  they got there swagger back after that fight.

28 minutes ago, Neo said:

For a man of many words, I can be unclear.  I get the Lightning broadcast here in Tampa.  The post game show, with coaches, players and color guys, all kept coming back to the fight.   In general, and with five different people providing five different articulations, the thought was that McCabe manufactured something in light of the Sabres current situation. Sergachev, on the other hand, tried to let it go, and then “tough guy’d” McCabe with jack hammers, changing the game.  McCabe’s malice was inserted into a situation not calling for malice under the pressure of having to appear tough.   Sergachev’s just arose inside him as someone “took liberties” with him.

Easy for  them to make this conclusion since they won, but they could have lost big and then what?  Sergachev tried to let it go because he was not getting called for the hit in Eichel. No other reason.  If he was then of course he would try to take McCabe off with him   

Krueger said McCabe got the instigator for “talking” to Sergachev.  This highlights some of the many terrible calls, and non calls by the refs tonight.  McCabe should have just attacked him if his intent was to respond. 

Let’s add that we scored a shorty on McCabe's minor to go up 4-1.  Then we went on a PP and could have closed them out.  Instead  Mojo got a questionable hooking penalty that lead to a Tampa PP score and a shift in momentum.  The Tampa broadcast crew can script a great story, but it’s a false narrative.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

Sergachev taunting the crowd afterward....... I think it was a momentum changer as well.  they got there swagger back after that fight.

Couldn't agree more. Sabres were made their bitch, yet again. I'm gonna find a water polo team to root for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Kucherov right to dalhins head, Cmon!!!  kuch knocked out sobotka and is almost as dirty as Marchand and we just do nothing. 

All this hubub of Dalton and the Mcabe nonsense and that happens to a guy that was just out with a concussion, and not even a pulse. 

I just can't even understand, where is this team (I don't want to even call them a team) this is not the Buffalo Sabres I grew up idolizing, loving and wanting too see every time they played, win or lose. This is a collection of weak spirited boys. 

We've moved beyond the winning and losing at this point to something more troubling 

3 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Kucherov right to dalhins head, Cmon!!!  kuch knocked out sobotka and is almost as dirty as Marchand and we just do nothing. 

All this hubub of Dalton and the Mcabe nonsense and that happens to a guy that was just out with a concussion, and not even a pulse. 

I just can't even understand, where is this team (I don't want to even call them a team) this is not the Buffalo Sabres I grew up idolizing, loving and wanting too see every time they played, win or lose. This is a collection of weak spirited boys. 

We've moved beyond the winning and losing at this point to something more troubling 

Well Kucherov went to box and we tried to tie up the game with a PP goal in the final minutes.  That seemed to be the best course of action given the time and situation.  Attacking Kucherov and blowing the PP seems counterproductive just because he almost hit him in the helmet or whatever it was.  Dahlin played on and was no worse for wear. 

Our boys gave all they could. It wasn't enough. This team needs an overhaul. Get a GM to come in and move the dead weight (Risto, Girgensons, Okposo) and find one that will inject a level of grit while keeping to the analytics crowd.  If it means moving Reino or whomever, just get it done. We can't live with this constant craving anymore.  We need cowboys to take us to salvation. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well Kucherov went to box and we tried to tie up the game with a PP goal in the final minutes.  That seemed to be the best course of action given the time and situation.  Attacking Kucherov and blowing the PP seems counterproductive just because he almost hit him in the helmet or whatever it was.  Dahlin played on and was no worse for wear. 

I get that, but let's be realistic, our PP needs to improve, just to be abysmal. I guess from my spot not on the ice, I just assumed we wouldn't score and it would be over. 

Just frustrating to no end and it comes out in these GDTs from us. We've all been good soldiers and deserve better 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Lmao.  Nice job Botts.  Keep waiting man.  Keep waiting......

I don’t follow the rest of the league all that closely. Has there been a trade or three of any significance this season?

56 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Look. McCabe didn’t like the hit on Eichel so he responded immediately.  That is what I want to see from my team.  Krueger just said “that is what I want to see from the team”.   Do you expect him to look at a replay first?   He reacted quickly and stood up for our best player.   We even scored another goal on the PK to go up 4-1.  

If you want to make up some silly comments about Karma that’s your business.  We lost for lots of reasons, like a poor PP,  but Karma and fighting is definitely not one of them.   

Of course we didn't lose because of karma or the fight. If you think I believe that, then you're taking my post too literally. I'm just saying it'd be karmic justice if we lost because our inept do-nothing GM caused a loss by actually doing something (icing an AHL puncher to make someone like McCabe feel pressured to drop 'em). The notion just amused me, is all. 

53 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That just sounds like irony to me. Not Karma.?

Fair. 

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

I don’t follow the rest of the league all that closely. Has there been a trade or three of any significance this season?

Taylor Hall? 

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

ask Carolina and Colorado what a few trades can do. 

You’ve watched the Sabres forwards the past couple of years.  Was it not insanely obvious changes had to be made?  Johansson and Vesey?  Everyone kept waiting for the other shoe to drop but it never did.  Get creative.  Nobody had the stockpile of NHL D we had/have to make a trade either that I’m aware.  It’s incomprehensible anyone thought this F group could get us in the playoffs.  Jack is playing at an mvp level, they’ve barely had any significant injuries (skinner just got hurt) and the team scoring must be bottom 10 in the league again without even looking.

17 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Lmao.  Nice job Botts.  Keep waiting man.  Keep waiting......

After Botts screwed the pooch on the O’Reilly trade, GMs all over the NHL think they can do it to him again. He’s not being offered anything fair. Not defending him. I want him gone. But he created the mess he is in. He won’t be able to get out of it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

After Botts screwed the pooch on the O’Reilly trade, GMs all over the NHL think they can do it to him again. He’s not being offered anything fair. Not defending him. I want him gone. But he created the mess he is in. He won’t be able to get out of it. 

If that’s what’s happening then again HE HAS TO GO.  If GMs won’t trade with him because they think he’s a moron then that’s just as much reason for him to go.

Jesus Christ it was bad enough sucking for a few seasons to tank and get jack.  Now management is so incompetent they can’t surround Jack with anything and they piss away seasons with him here and not actively tanking?  Seriously what on earth has JBott done for this franchise?  They’ve finished DFL and bottom 6 or so every season?  He gave away ROR.  It’s incredible really.  

• Like (+1) 2

It’s a joke in a salary cap era this franchise can’t get their head out of their ass for basically 13 years now.  It’s a freaking hard cap salary cap too.  It’s embarrassing being a sabres fan and I’m sick if it.  Never going to ever change teams but I’m finally done spending money on them, that’s for sure. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Derrico said:

If that’s what’s happening then again HE HAS TO GO.  If GMs won’t trade with him because they think he’s a moron then that’s just as much reason for him to go.

Jesus Christ it was bad enough sucking for a few seasons to tank and get jack.  Now management is so incompetent they can’t surround Jack with anything and they piss away seasons with him here and not actively tanking?  Seriously what on earth has JBott done for this franchise?  They’ve finished DFL and bottom 6 or so every season?  He gave away ROR.  It’s incredible really.  

Couldn’t agree more. But I think Pegula is super gun shy now to fire people so quickly. That has become his reputation around the league and was told that by McClellan during his interview process. Botts definitely won’t be fired during the season and I bet Pegula won’t do it after the season either. They will somehow find a way to give him at least one more year. Which is just another year wasted. 

• Like (+1) 1

What’s up with this team. It’s like all these guys forgot how to play the game. If I’m Eichel how can you be happy about this team year in and year out. They are an absolute joke of the league. It’s like constantly rebuilding with GM’s and coaches. Players seem to die in Buffalo. Miller who was here in Vegas was actually pretty decent and then gets moved to Buffalo and he’s scratched practically every night. Even Dahlin seems like he’s lost. This team I think might need an overhaul at the top on down. Like I have been saying for years with the Sabres and Bills that this team needs to draft and develop their players properly because no big name free agents are coming to Buffalo! I wouldn’t be surprised Eichel will want out soon. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Derrico said:

It’s a joke in a salary cap era this franchise can’t get their head out of their ass for basically 13 years now.  It’s a freaking hard cap salary cap too.  It’s embarrassing being a sabres fan and I’m sick if it.  Never going to ever change teams but I’m finally done spending money on them, that’s for sure. 

Don’t blame you. It’s sad because the fans deserve better. It’s like the city is cursed. Plus I’m not putting too much into this Bills team either. They have a great defense and a mediocre offense with just an okay quarterback. I’m not sold on Allen. I don’t think the guy is the answer. 

3 minutes ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Don’t blame you. It’s sad because the fans deserve better. It’s like the city is cursed. Plus I’m not putting too much into this Bills team either. They have a great defense and a mediocre offense with just an okay quarterback. I’m not sold on Allen. I don’t think the guy is the answer. 

This is a good point. While I'm thoroughly enjoying this Bills season, I'm not delusional enough to think they've turned any corner.  They still seem fairly inept at figuring out anything offensively. Hopefully they figure it out but in not holding my breath. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.