Sabres Waive Dalton Smith

Brawndo

1 hour ago, ... said:

If I were the TBL GM, I would do this. It would be too funny to pass up. 

They should hire GMTM in some capacity as well. They can yuck it up calling us pussies and c**** while slugging down beers at Buffalo area bars.  I'm already jealous. 

Edit: I thought there would be asterisks for sure.  Oh well 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:54 PM, Broken Ankles said:

You have had 5 posts since you promised not to return.   Do yourself a favor.  Hide in your fear bunker for a few days.  Enjoy the New Year festivities and come out when either your proven right, and Dalton is sent down after two games at a minus 5.  Then gloat.  Or, if the Sabres can string together a few W's and certain players actually elevate their game, not at the expense of goals scored, come back with your proverbial tail between your legs with a mea culpa.   Either way, Happy New Year.  

jason highquality GIF

On 12/31/2019 at 2:33 PM, Pimlach said:

It was Kucherov who took out Sobotka, not Cernak.  If Dalton lays a finger on Kucherov you will see Tampa come to his aide.  

BTW, Cernak is 6’3 235 so he is pretty large boy but I don’t think he is a fighter.  Not in the old NHL sense of a fighter.  

I was thinking about this the other day.  There are actually very few "figures" left in the league.  Just a few seasons ago that was not the case.

Fighting truly is leaving the game, except when it's a spontaneous thing between guys who don't know how to fight. 

The first round of the playoffs will still have lots of "fighting" in this sense, but it's hard to find in the game now.

The irony of all this is that there is an advantage to be gained, IMO, by someone going Broad Street Bully with a lineup, at least for a while until if and when the league catches up to that style of play again.

I keep telling myself this is going to happen, but I think it's just wishful thinking.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

He may have been waived and unclaimed but doesn't appear to have ever been actually sent down.  He was listed as scratched against the Eulers and partook in warmups today but was scratched.

Glad he's still earning that sweet NHL coin.  Hopefully, it'll last a bit longer. It's kinda unclear what they are doing with him. They called up Wilson to replace Olofsson's roster spot. I guess we'll see once Frolik gets here

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

Glad he's still earning that sweet NHL coin.  Hopefully, it'll last a bit longer. It's kinda unclear what they are doing with him. They called up Wilson to replace Olofsson's roster spot. I guess we'll see once Frolik gets here

Guessing he gets sent down when Frolik finally gets his visa, but he seems to be getting as much of the NHL experience as possible (given he has an AHL level skill set) while he's up.  Good for him.

Also, his new # is 77.

On 1/5/2020 at 9:23 AM, inkman said:

On 1/5/2020 at 9:37 AM, Taro T said:

Guessing he gets sent down when Frolik finally gets his visa, but he seems to be getting as much of the NHL experience as possible (given he has an AHL level skill set) while he's up.  Good for him.

Also, his new # is 77.

It may have not been the right thing to do, or it may have been the right thing to do for all the wrong reasons having him up here.

But.

If A mistake was made and we all do it, it only always matters how you correct them. All that matters when he drives back to Rochester is Dalton thinks he was treated fair and square.

Edited by woods-racer

14 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It may have not been the right thing to do, or it may have been the right thing to do for all the wrong reasons having him up here.

But.

If A mistake was made and we all do it, it only always matters how you correct them. All that matters when he drives back to Rochester is Dalton thinks he was treated fair and square.

I haven't followed the situation at all, but the dude was given a better contract than he previously had.  And I'm sure they talked with him during the process and told him what their plans were.  I think communication is a safe assumption given that you can't sign a contract without actually being present and agreeing to it.  He got to dress and skate in an NHL game, get a bigger paycheck for a week or so, all while retaining the job he already had.  The whole thing has to be a positive experience.

It could also be a case of, hey, if you really want a shot at the NHL, this is what it's like so when we tell you to work on A, B and C, you know why we're asking for it.  Yeah, he's probably never going to get a regular NHL gig, but if he can raise his game enough he could be decent NHL reserve depth.

I think he's had the time of his young life.

Got to play a minute and a half of NHL hockey. Which is more than 50%(?) of those in the AHL will ever get to do.

As long as he comes *home* with that positive attitude everybody was a winner. I have yet to see another interview with him to see if that is his current perception..

Till then I can only assume he has.

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

I think he's had the time of his young life.

Got to play a minute and a half of NHL hockey. Which is more than 50%(?) of those in the AHL will ever get to do.

As long as he comes *home* with that positive attitude everybody was a winner. I have yet to see another interview with him to see if that is his current perception..

Till then I can only assume he has.

The kid has a pretty special persona. Not to mention his familial lineage, I wouldn't be surprised if comes back and plays above and beyond and expectations.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

It could also be a case of, hey, if you really want a shot at the NHL, this is what it's like so when we tell you to work on A, B and C, you know why we're asking for it.  Yeah, he's probably never going to get a regular NHL gig, but if he can raise his game enough he could be decent NHL reserve depth.

And beyond that, having an NHL contract gives you a much better shot at actually playing in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.