Sabres Waive Dalton Smith

Brawndo

1 minute ago, Marchand'sNose said:

The Dalton Smith signing is an open acknowledgment from management that this team needs more toughness and grit, but why is this acknowledgment occurring midway through the third year of our GM's tenure? Is our GM even more clueless than we imagined? At bare minimum, the entire fourth line plus at least two defensemen should be made up of Dalton Smith personalities.

I see 3 main problems with this roster at the moment:

1. The aforementioned lack of toughness and grit. Start by replacing McCabe, Scandella, Sheary, Rodrigues, and Vesey with Dalton Smith personalities and see what happens.

2. Lack of second line scoring. Find two quality players to play with Skinner, even if rentals.

3. Bad goaltending. Replace Hutton with someone better.

All of these moves should happen ASAP, because a 9th straight year without playoffs is really bad for the team's locker room culture.

This is the essential point.  Yes, all these things may need to be done.  Should they have been done already?  Maybe, but they can't be done now in time for this team right now.

Calling up toughness.  Attempting to manufacture backbone and toughness is all that can be done right now.  Like I said, it's transparent and a very sad state of affairs for this franchise.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

It certainly seems that this sign & callup has a 'we need a goon to make them pay for their thuggery' feel to it.  If it was simply we need more toughness, he would've been called up 2 games ago against an actual tough team; rather than right after playing a tough team but just before playing a team (for the last time this regular season, so any re-repurcussions will have to wait until April at the earliest (yeah, right) or more likely October or November) that injured 2 Sabres in careless, at a minimum, or downright dirty hits in separate games.

That the Sabres end up victims of friggin' Tampa Bat thuggery is surreal.  This is NOT Enrico Cerrone's Lightning.

And, on a positive side, we now have a couple threads not bemoaning the lack of a legit 2C. ?

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I want the actual real problems fixed. No 2c, no scoring outside line 1. Fix it. 

Aaaaaaand, we’re back.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why are you trying to make this personal? One player who is a 4th line jag doesn't help toughness. It's gotta be a team concept. Happy New Year.

Because constantly taking things out of context is directly related to you, of course.

Nearly all, if not all, agree that signing Smith is not THE solution, but may begin to address one specific area of concern, so to go to the extreme in your responses, you might want to expect it to become part of the conversation.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Last post today. You want to believe that some 4th line JAG, an actual jag btw, is going to make this team somehow better then I'm sorry. This team will continue to be trash as long as the management group believes that 1 gritty 4th liner is the key to a team that can't score, sucks on the pk, and regularly is simply not talented enough. We need at least 2 top 6 forwards including a 2c and #1 rw.  Adding Smith is like putting lipstick on a pig and saying you're dating a Victoria's secret model. I'm absolutely stunned the general feeling is that this move is anything other than window dressing. 

And Maybe, just maybe your completely wrong about this and one player, who is just another guy, that goes out hits everything, sets an example on the ice, that playing soft is unacceptable can add value.   The point made before is that while our third line of GLO has added excellent defense, good possession stats, and chips in occasionally on Offense, it's the fourth line that has been abysmal.  And removing one player (Sheary, Erod, or Vesey) and replacing them with an energy guy is not going to affect the scoring sheet.  It could however have an impact in some other capacity. 

And as an FYI, Scoring isn't the Sabres biggest problem this year.  They are 17th overall in 5v5 goals for, and ahead of their pace for goals scored the last 6 years.  And significantly above the pace  from 2015/16 when a certain center and forward were on the roster.   This includes a slump in goal scoring the last 4 games.  Maybe, just maybe RK and JB know more than you and think that rather than let the team spiral downward, adding an accelerant can have a positive affect.   

Accelerants are substances that can bond, mix or disturb another substance and cause an increase in the speed of a natural, or artificial chemical process.   This is what I hope he does.  And if others don't want to play with passion, they can sit and watch the game from above. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

Because constantly taking things out of context is directly related to you, of course.

Nearly all, if not all, agree that signing Smith is not THE solution, but may begin to address one specific area of concern, so to go to the extreme in your responses, you might want to expect it to become part of the conversation.

It's not gonna address anything that relates to consistently winning hockey games. 

Also my original response you're so bent out of shape about was deliberately cheeky. Hence the gif. 

1 minute ago, Broken Ankles said:

And Maybe, just maybe your completely wrong about this and one player, who is just another guy, that goes out hits everything, sets an example on the ice, that playing soft is unacceptable can add value.   The point made before is that while our third line of GLO has added excellent defense, good possession stats, and chips in occasionally on Offense, it's the fourth line that has been abysmal.  And removing one player (Sheary, Erod, or Vesey) and replacing them with an energy guy is not going to affect the scoring sheet.  It could however have an impact in some other capacity. 

And as an FYI, Scoring isn't the Sabres biggest problem this year.  They are 17th overall in 5v5 goals for, and ahead of their pace for goals scored the last 6 years.  And significantly above the pace  from 2015/16 when a certain center and forward were on the roster.   This includes a slump in goal scoring the last 4 games.  Maybe, just maybe RK and JB know more than you and think that rather than let the team spiral downward, adding an accelerant can have a positive affect.   

Accelerants are substances that can bond, mix or disturb another substance and cause an increase in the speed of a natural, or artificial chemical process.   This is what I hope he does.  And if others don't want to play with passion, they can sit and watch the game from above. 

As I said before,

lies no GIF

2 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

You know the Sabres are in a bad stretch when the signing of a 27 year old AHL fighter with 0 NHL games played generates 5 pages (and counting) of discussion. 

And an additional 5 pages when he’s sent back down on Monday.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, steveoath said:

This I believe

https://youtu.be/OCNz35TQnjc 

#bigbrothermentality 

#finishmychecks

On a separate note, does anyone else think the attention for a signing of this stature seems a little too much?  I'm imagining the Sabres media people were like "oh, this kid's a golden throwback, we gotta get him out there" and Sabres management is going along with it, attempting to appease the fanbase.

3 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

On a separate note, does anyone else think the attention for a signing of this stature seems a little too much?  I'm imagining the Sabres media people were like "oh, this kid's a golden throwback, we gotta get him out there" and Sabres management is going along with it, attempting to appease the fanbase.

I think it speaks more to the current dearth of toughness on the team than them simply appeasing us.

Just now, Thwomp! said:

I agree, but those two concepts are not mutually exclusive.  Maybe placate would be a better word than appease?

Look, if I can’t watch someone on my team score, I may as well watch someone on my team beat the snot out of someone.

... please be Kucherov, please be Kucherov....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

They added a guy that anyone in the league could have had and didn’t want. So now, apparently, two guys that no one else wanted, Lazar and Smith are going to save their season from their GM’s ineptitude! I may lay $1K on Tampa winning 6-1 tonight with Buffalo winning a fight and some fans will apparently be happy. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As I said before,

lies no GIF

You have had 5 posts since you promised not to return.   Do yourself a favor.  Hide in your fear bunker for a few days.  Enjoy the New Year festivities and come out when either your proven right, and Dalton is sent down after two games at a minus 5.  Then gloat.  Or, if the Sabres can string together a few W's and certain players actually elevate their game, not at the expense of goals scored, come back with your proverbial tail between your legs with a mea culpa.   Either way, Happy New Year.  

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

As I said before,

lies no GIF

How is being 17th in 5X5 not their biggest problem, especially when you consider the inordinate percentage of that is Eichel? Guess what? If they were top ten they probably would be in a solid playoff position and wouldn’t have to call up a mercenary to hide the fact their GM is so spineless he can’t make a deal!

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

How is being 17th in 5X5 not their biggest problem, especially when you consider the inordinate percentage of that is Eichel? Guess what? If they were top ten they probably would be in a solid playoff position and wouldn’t have to call up a mercenary to hide the fact their GM is so spineless he can’t make a deal!

I think it is part of the problem. A major part.

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Didn't say scoring was not a problem.  Said it's not their biggest problem.  Being in the bottom third in Goals Against, DFL in PP goals defended, and Carter Hutton are far bigger problems.  Second line scoring has improved, and will continue to improve.   Bottom 6 scoring is down, which is why we are here.....talking for 5 pages about a singular substitution.  If the sabres start both invisible men (Erod and Vesey), what is your upside for this game?  Do you honestly think either will score?  Possible, but unlikely based on history.   

On 12/30/2019 at 11:43 AM, Ogre said:

This is fantastic. I hope he does get called up! He’s not going to score goals but he can keep up and fire his team up in the process. He’s the super amped up dude that’s running up and down pumping everyone up when they’re waiting to hit the ice, every single intermission. And he’ll kick some ass too.I friggin love that guy. 

but we'll still suck.  Why is this important?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.