Sabres Waive Dalton Smith

Brawndo

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

And there is a difference between true toughness and manufactured toughness. If they need a career minor leaguer to provide backbone......

What’s the difference?  Not being a smart-A, legitimately asking.  You mean like everyone on the ice jumping Cernak after he takes a cheap shot as opposed to sending out the goon next shift to try to start a fight?

I’ll try to complete your sentence:  

“If they need a career minor leaguer to provide backbone......”

.........It probably means that there aren’t enough guys on the major league roster with backbone.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

What’s the difference?  Not being a smart-A, legitimately asking.  You mean like everyone on the ice jumping Cernak after he takes a cheap shot as opposed to sending out the goon next shift to try to start a fight?

I’ll try to complete your sentence:  

“If they need a career minor leaguer to provide backbone......”

.........It probably means that there aren’t enough guys on the major league roster with backbone.

The worst part is, it isn't toughness per se that has been lacking.  It's a genuine "I got your back" mentality that is missing.  Passion for the guys around you.  Infectious enthusiasm.  That sort of thing.  Which makes it all the more damning that we have to import those qualities from a career AHL'er.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

The worst part is, it isn't toughness per se that has been lacking.  It's a genuine "I got your back" mentality that is missing.  Passion for the guys around you.  Infectious enthusiasm.  That sort of thing.  Which makes it all the more damning that we have to import those qualities from a career AHL'er.

Val James says 'hi.'

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

If they brought this guy up to fight their battles this team is more pathetic then I thought. It would be like naming a newcomer captain, oh wait....,,

Dalton Smith will be JNOT jumping the shark.

One of the Bruins interviewed after the first period said “we don’t like to get hit”.  This team is marked as soft.  I’ve seen enough to know that Dahlin and our skill players are targets.  Perhaps this guy keeps people honest a little bit.  Tampa is up next and they took out two Sabres so far. 

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Now this makes sense.  The league is past the line brawl days but most  every team has some big tough guys that play with “I got your back” mentality.  The Blues and Bruins are loaded with them and they are doing ok.  

Is it better to not have anyone or to bring up a minor leaguer?   Right now I’m ok with bringing in Dalton until JBot decides to acquire and draft some players that play a grittier North American hockey style. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Brawndo said:

But that’s the reason I was told on this very board, why it was essential the team keep Bogosian and McCabe for their grit and toughness! Neither gave Kucherov or Cernak a dirty look during the three games versus Tampa. 

We do have some tough players but they just aren’t willing to stick up for each other for some reason that we on the outside do not know.   This team just doesn’t have the culture were they care about each other or cover for each other. That culture has been gone for quite awhile.  I last saw it in spades vs Ottawa (Drury hit) and then it was gone by the Lucic- Miller hit.  Since then we had some terrible tank teams laced with fighters (Scott, Kanopka, etc) that could not play.   After that we evolved to this sad state of affairs.  

Look at the Bills under McD.  Exact opposite of the Sabres.  

2 hours ago, Weave said:

This is the post of the year for me. Well said. 

44 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is the post of the year for me. Well said. 

For me toughness is going to the front of the net without having an exit strategy already in your head. All the fighting stuff is crap and as much as I enjoy a good fight, it does nothing to help you win. Score more goals. 

To me this screams of appeasement. All those fans that want a return to Ted Nolan days here’s your guy. We might plummet even further in the standings but we will go down fighting. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

We do have some tough players but they just aren’t willing to stick up for each other for some reason that we on the outside do not know.   This team just doesn’t have the culture were they care about each other or cover for each other. That culture has been gone for quite awhile.  I last saw it in spades vs Ottawa (Drury hit) and then it was gone by the Lucic- Miller hit.  Since then we had some terrible tank teams laced with fighters (Scott, Kanopka, etc) that could not play.   After that we evolved to this sad state of affairs.  

Look at the Bills under McD.  Exact opposite of the Sabres.  

Actually Sheary, EROD, and  Vesey haven’t done too much to contribute on ice. Having Smith replace one of them isn’t the worse thing in the world. Having the other two replaced by actual players would be even better.

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, inkman said:

We certainly know it's not the teams biggest issue but how JBOT has failed to add a tiny bit of sandpaper to this roster is annoying. The fans care just as much about hitting and fighting as they do scoring so give em what they want. At least GMTM got Kane and BOGO for that purpose.  Would it have killed him to bring anyone in this capacity?  

If we were scoring goals and winning the “I got your back” culture might be more present.   Winning can be a powerful tool to build a team and the culture we all want.  I don’t  care about the lack of fighting as much as the lack of physical play, especially  on the forecheck.   I would like to see our forwards bang the other teams defense more, slow them down, force turnovers.  

On to JBot, he also traded Foligno and DesLauriers.   It’s not like he replaced them with better players either.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Now this makes sense.  The league is past the line brawl days but most  every team has some big tough guys that play with “I got your back” mentality.  The Blues and Bruins are loaded with them and they are doing ok.  

Is it better to not have anyone or to bring up a minor leaguer?   Right now I’m ok with bringing in Dalton until JBot decides to acquire and draft some players that play a grittier North American hockey style. 

You didn't see this in November?

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/watch-old-school-brawl-breaks-out-during-flames-red-wings-game/

26 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If we were scoring goals and winning the “I got your back” culture might be more present.   Winning can be a powerful tool to build a team and the culture we all want.  I don’t  care about the lack of fighting as much as the lack of physical play, especially  on the forecheck.   I would like to see our forwards bang the other teams defense more, slow them down, force turnovers.  

On to JBot, he also traded Foligno and DesLauriers.   It’s not like he replaced them with better players either.  

Yes...and although the circumstances were different, he also traded Evander Kane away.  I felt Kane was another forward who could take care of himself and provide that physical forecheck (with speed) element we need, plus score some even strength goals.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

For me toughness is going to the front of the net without having an exit strategy already in your head. All the fighting stuff is crap and as much as I enjoy a good fight, it does nothing to help you win. Score more goals. 

To me this screams of appeasement. All those fans that want a return to Ted Nolan days here’s your guy. We might plummet even further in the standings but we will go down fighting. 

It seems like everyone thinks Smith is going to go full on goon. He has the infectious enthusiasm that @Weave mentioned and the toughness that fits the mold that you are looking for. Has anyone other than @inkman, @Amerks8796, and I actually even watched the dude play? He wins battles along the boards, takes a beating in front of the net and finishes his checks. He also doesn’t act like a wuss when people take liberties. Maybe they didn’t need to look any farther than Rochester to find the guy they need right now? It’s not like they just signed him to a multi year one way deal. He’ll probably get a game or two just to see what he brings. Geez. 

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.