Sabres Waive Dalton Smith

Brawndo

Just now, Brawndo said:

Considering the owners love for former face punchers, he may have had some influence here as well 

If I owned the Sabres I'd be sure to have the same influence after seeing what's happened previously against Tampa, especially given the GM, HC, and players' milquetoast responses when the incidents happened.  I'd also have serious doubt that the the team was capable of responding to further cheap shots or exacting any old school hockey retribution if needed.  If Terry had influence in this decision, then I completely agree with him.

17 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If they brought this guy up to fight their battles this team is more pathetic then I thought. It would be like naming a newcomer captain, oh wait....,,

Dalton Smith will be JNOT jumping the shark.

This team is exactly as pathetic as I think it is 

19 minutes ago, tom webster said:

If they brought this guy up to fight their battles this team is more pathetic then I thought. It would be like naming a newcomer captain, oh wait....,,

Dalton Smith will be JNOT jumping the shark.

Did you start this JNOT thing?  It warms the cockles of my heart. 

17 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

If I owned the Sabres I'd be sure to have the same influence after seeing what's happened previously against Tampa, especially given the GM, HC, and players' milquetoast responses when the incidents happened.  I'd also have serious doubt that the the team was capable of responding to further cheap shots or exacting any old school hockey retribution if needed.  If Terry had influence in this decision, then I completely agree with him.

But that’s the reason I was told on this very board, why it was essential the team keep Bogosian and McCabe for their grit and toughness! Neither gave Kucherov or Cernak a dirty look during the three games versus Tampa. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Well if you ask plenty of fans this team's biggest issue is lack of grit....

We certainly know it's not the teams biggest issue but how JBOT has failed to add a tiny bit of sandpaper to this roster is annoying. The fans care just as much about hitting and fighting as they do scoring so give em what they want. At least GMTM got Kane and BOGO for that purpose.  Would it have killed him to bring anyone in this capacity?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

I think he may be called up for the sole purpose of sending a message to Cernak of Tampa that it is not ok to give Dahlin a concussion

This could be the inkling of an identity- The first step is holding a grudge.  The second step is enforcement.  If this is JBot/RFK holding a grudge and doing something to enforce it, them maybe a backbone isn't so far away.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Eichel has been with the team for 3 years.  21 years old, but hardly a newcomer.

Plus, people bitch that the team isn’t tough enough, then also bitch when they bring up a tough guy.  Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

Ah, I wasn’t referring to Eichel. I think he was a great choice.

And there is a difference between true toughness and manufactured toughness. If they need a career minor leaguer to provide backbone......

Edited by tom webster

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

That's a lie!

Smell: I will clear this courtroom!

Lies! Deception! PA Gullet will know the truth!

25 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And there is a difference between true toughness and manufactured toughness. If they need a career minor leaguer to provide backbone......

This is a disgraceful reflection on our franchise. Players, GM, everyone. Not only are we calling someone to essentially be tough on our behalf, he's not even a prospect who could threaten to stay up in the lineup with his edgy game after the fact (e.g. Concept of Kassian or DLo or as pointed out above Borgen). We had to sign him to a contract first. Vesey and Eichel and Reinhart are the only people on this team who have scrapped or stepped up for a teammate this entire season in a "roughing" manner. I don't want a line of Peters and John Scott and Adam Mair, but this team lacks even the basic gristle that keeps your goalie and stars and kids clean.

I'm minded of a video clip I had a long time ago before youtube existed. It was a regular season game, but some Dallas Star took an after-whistle poke at the puck after Hasek had covered it. Hasek barked back because he was always going to ensure the refs knew how woe-trodden he was, but he didn't have to do anything because half the team was there in a moment. The Star got buried by Zhitnik and Holzinger already throwing punches and high sticks, and probably escaped any harm because all 10 skaters on the ice ended up piled in a mosh pit behind the net. Hasek just whistled and strolled away.

Edited by DarthEbriate

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The arrival of nfreeman on the dark side, after many years of grooming in the minors, is a significant board development late 2019. There's room on the disbelievers bandwagon!

I'm a fan until the end, and I want JB to succeed, and I like a number of the things he's done, but he's got to be accountable for the results.  We're well into his 3rd year and his results are freaking terrible -- and looking mighty likely to stay the course.

My bottom line is that since Lindy was fired, the Sabres haven't done as well as they would've done had all major decisions been made by the SabreSpace executive committee for hockey operations.  And I'm not really kidding about that -- this board certainly could've led the team to 3 DFL finishes, plus a bunch of other bottom-6 finishes, no playoffs and a bunch of disappointing draft picks, all the while spending at or close to the cap. 

Until the Sabres get some guys in charge who deliver better results than my internet friends and I can produce, I'll reserve the right to expect more.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I'm a fan until the end, and I want JB to succeed, and I like a number of the things he's done, but he's got to be accountable for the results.  We're well into his 3rd year and his results are freaking terrible -- and looking mighty likely to stay the course.

My bottom line is that since Lindy was fired, the Sabres haven't done as well as they would've done had all major decisions been made by the SabreSpace executive committee for hockey operations.  And I'm not really kidding about that -- this board certainly could've led the team to 3 DFL finishes, plus a bunch of other bottom-6 finishes, no playoffs and a bunch of disappointing draft picks, all the while spending at or close to the cap. 

Until the Sabres get some guys in charge who deliver better results than my internet friends and I can produce, I'll reserve the right to expect more.

the sad reality is we could not of done worse than what has happened...

The only thing I don't like about this move is the shadow it casts on the organization.  

It's like they ran home after getting bullied and cried to their much older, still living at home brother, to come fix things in elementary school.  

If the Sabres wanted to add toughness, it should have been done in the off-season as a move to address a missing ingredient from last season.  Now it just looks like the floundering of a hapless GM.  

That said, I will root for this kid harder than I've rooted for any Sabre in a while.  Maybe since Corey Tropp. 

• Like (+1) 7

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Just watched his presser. Awesome. ink's analogy is pretty close to how Dalton described himself, the oldest brother of five who always stood up and protected his siblings.

I felt both joy and a weird sense of discomfort watching the young man's face.

Where can one watch said presser 

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

That's a lie!

Smell: I will clear this courtroom!

Initially I took the approach It’s his team he can meddle as much as he wants, however once it becomes obvious that his meddling will directly contribute to making the team worse (ROR), all bets are off. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.