GDT Bruins at Sabres 12/27/19 7pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s a combination of poor talent evaluation, mediocre cap management, an inability to correctly identify and then address the team’s issues, failure to make in-season moves/properly address the D surplus (really backed himself into a corner on that one), and what I believe to be a long rope and plenty of leeway from ownership to take his sweet time. 

Problem is some of that cap management is still the last GM's fault, and one 6 million dollar contract on the books for 3 more years on a 4th line player.

22 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Which leads me to this question.

Why would Botterill re-sign a majority of last seasons roster or not trade a couple pieces of those already signed in an effort to change the coming seasons (this season) end result?

Is there a larger plan here in play? For the following season? I don't believe that for a second. I think Botterill was hoping on the coaching change, combined with the couple of additions made in the past 12 months would push the team to at least playoff contention this season.

That has completely failed imo. If that was his intention, which I believe it was.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Problem is some of that cap management is still the last GM's fault, and one 6 million dollar contract on the books for 3 more years on a 4th line player.

I have a hard time blaming JBOTs for the cap situation at present.  Looking ahead, there is absolute ***** you money available under the cap and all sorts of open roster spots next season.  This has to bee what he's looking at and the team will be almost unrecognizable for 20-21. 

Or, you know, he has no idea what he's doing.  Either is possible, I dunno.

22 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

I have a hard time blaming JBOTs for the cap situation at present.  Looking ahead, there is absolute ***** you money available under the cap and all sorts of open roster spots next season.  This has to bee what he's looking at and the team will be almost unrecognizable for 20-21. 

Or, you know, he has no idea what he's doing.  Either is possible, I dunno.

If he’s saving up cap space to sign UFA next year, he’s a bigger idiot than I even thought possible.  Free agency is fool’s gold there are few Tavares but many Leinos and why would any quality UFA want to come to a team with an utterly incompetent GM?

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn’t quit my job unless I had another job lined up.

I wouldn’t merge into traffic unless I knew I could safely do it.

I wouldn’t have non emergent surgery until I got a second opinion that agreed with the first opinion.

I wouldn’t fire my hockey GM unless at the very least, I had a list of 3-5 candidates I felt could do a better job and wanted to interview.

To the chagrin of a few fans, JB has his job 100% secure until at the very least April, and most likely into next season. Unless unless unless, he makes zero (nada, zilch, no) roster moves before April. Then I could see a case for him potentially (key word) getting sacked for doing nothing for an entire season. Of course fans are allowed to complain about the GM, coaches and players. But just like a roster, if you want someone traded or fired, you must think about who you want coming in to replace him. Saying “I don’t know” or “fire fire fire” solves nothing and adds nothing to a meaningful discussion about the logical direction of a teams staff (players, coaches, GM).

My personal opinion is, I’d like to see JB stay with the team for the rest of this season, AND the next season. UNLESS he does absolutely nothing or next to nothing in regards to improving the NHL roster of the Sabres. 

Here are the standings point totals for the Eichel era:

2015-16: 81

2016-17: 78

2017-18: 62

2018-19: 76

2019-20: pacing at 86 after last night (and falling)

So...essentially zero progress after five seasons since Eichel was drafted. Also, notice how our current GM may easily not even reach the Tim Murray/Dan Bylsma benchmark of 81 points after 3 seasons of trying. The level of organizational incompetence demonstrated here is absolutely outrageous and unparalleled in modern NHL history. I don't what else we as fans can do, other than complain on message boards and refuse to pay money for this product?! I'm convinced that Jason Botterill was given 4 full years to turn this around, so praying he gets fired this season may be a waste of energy. I'm not even sure his biggest mistakes (Housley hire, O'Reilly trade) were entirely his fault and not partly the fault of the most incompetent owner in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Marchand'sNose said:

Here are the standings point totals for the Eichel era:

2015-16: 81

2016-17: 78

2017-18: 62

2018-19: 76

2019-20: pacing at 86 after last night (and falling)

So...essentially zero progress after five seasons since Eichel was drafted. Also, notice how our current GM may easily not even reach the Tim Murray/Dan Bylsma benchmark of 81 points after 3 seasons of trying. The level of organizational incompetence demonstrated here is absolutely outrageous and unparalleled in modern NHL history. I don't what else we as fans can do, other than complain on message boards and refuse to pay money for this product?! I'm convinced that Jason Botterill was given 4 full years to turn this around, so praying he gets fired this season may be a waste of energy. I'm not even sure his biggest mistakes (Housley hire, O'Reilly trade) were entirely his fault and not partly the fault of the most incompetent owner in the NHL.

giphy.gif

11 hours ago, freester said:

If he’s saving up cap space to sign UFA next year, he’s a bigger idiot than I even thought possible.  Free agency is fool’s gold there are few Tavares but many Leinos and why would any quality UFA want to come to a team with an utterly incompetent GM?

No but cap space is an extra tool for trades as well.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.