GDT Bruins at Sabres 12/27/19 7pm MSG WGR

Brawndo

18 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

This team is just awful.  Another year of no playoffs and no progress. 

And really not much of an end game to the suck in sight, you know?

That's the part that hurts.

Wonder what Skinner did to his shoulder.  He might be gone weeks and/or months.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes...unfortunately we are right back in the same situation of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.  Nobody here is happy with the GM and we may be losing confidence in the coaching staff as well.  However, if we make yet another change to either, it feeds the perception that our ownership does not allow our GM and coaching enough time to succeed before firing them....which does not help in recruiting top management talent.

It would help if they would hire experienced talent with a proven track record so that we don't have to fire them (rookies) after two or three years of failure.

Right on. 

I think we are stuck with JBot for four full seasons.  If no playoffs then JBot goes and the new GM decides what to do with Ralph. 

So , I’m prepared to suffer this year and next.  After that maybe Terry will find a proven NHL GM? 

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Right on. 

I think we are stuck with JBot for four full seasons.  If no playoffs then JBot goes and the new GM decides what to do with Ralph. 

So , I’m prepared to suffer this year and next.  After that maybe Terry will find a proven NHL GM? 

Coaches and GMs are cheap, talent is not.  Sticking with the wrong guy for too long is worse than dumping a bad guy every year, because that bad guy can decimate the entire organization.

There's nothing in Pegula's history with the Bills or Sabres to suggest that he's going to give a GM or coach time to grow into his role if he's not getting results.

Edited by jad1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Right on. 

Yes....and if so, all I can say is "poor Jack!"  $10 million a year helps, but it is a crime to see his talent wasted a couple more years with such a weak supporting cast.

• Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Yes....and if so, all I can say is "poor Jack!"  $10 million a year helps, but it is a crime to see his talent wasted a couple more years with such a weak supporting cast.

So we tanked to get Jack only to waste his prime on inferior teams.  Well, at least we get to watch him play.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

2 minutes ago, Tondas said:

So we tanked to get Jack only to waste his prime on inferior teams.  Well, at least we get to watch him play.

Jack won't stick around past next season if major changes aren't made imo. He's not going to let his career rot away here in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Jack won't stick around past next season if major changes aren't made imo. He's not going to let his career rot away here in Buffalo.

Trading Jack would return quite the haul.  Maybe it speeds up the rebuild?

I would never go to another Sabres game again if they traded Jack....never, no chance.

They will be 6th worst team in the league at years end most likely and a chance that drops lower. I have accepted the year is over and fully want losses the rest of the way. Hope for a top 5 pick and for cousins to be ready for 2 center. Pay for top 6 winger in the Summer and pray....it has been written.

Edited by CallawaySabres

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I would never go to another Sabres game again if they traded Jack....never, no chance.

They will be 6th worst team in the league at years end most likely and a chance that drops lower. I have accepted the year is over and fully want losses the rest of the way. Hope for a top 5 pick and for cousins to be ready for 2 center. Pay for top 6 winger in the Summer and pray....it has been written.

This team needs more than a 2 center. The 3rd and 4th lines contribute so sporadically they basically need 4 out of 6 players overhauled. The 2nd line is a complete disaster, both C and wings.

Netminding could be improved over Hutton. Ullmark looks serviceable.

The Defense is only going to be as good as the forwards are at keeping some offensive play actually showing results. Jury's still out on D. At least, to me.

Could they pull it off between now, and say, next November/December? I guess, but...……………...what are the odds Pegula and Botterill will?

Not good as of right now. Just sayin...………...

Jbot is in over his head.  Kim P. cannot provide any hockey subject matter expertise to guide him.  They can't fire him because it would make them look like fools again for making yet another bad GM decision.  They can't fire Kruger because they just hired him.  They hopefully know the fan base has lost patience and will not endorse another tank season.

Other than a miracle, the only other solution I can see is if they restore the role of President to manage Jbot and fill that position with an experience and respected hockey mind who can bring instant credibility to this organization.  I don't know who that could be, but they need to demonstrate to the league that somebody new is in charge that knows what they're doing.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

This team needs more than a 2 center. The 3rd and 4th lines contribute so sporadically they basically need 4 out of 6 players overhauled. The 2nd line is a complete disaster, both C and wings.

Netminding could be improved over Hutton. Ullmark looks serviceable.

The Defense is only going to be as good as the forwards are at keeping some offensive play actually showing results. Jury's still out on D. At least, to me.

Could they pull it off between now, and say, next November/December? I guess, but...……………...what are the odds Pegula and Botterill will?

Not good as of right now. Just sayin...………...

I think a 2C moving MOJO to wing kills multiple birds you outlined. Vesey on a third line with competent players would make two threat lines, an offensive capable defensive third line, and GLO. TBH I’d be willing to part ways with Sam and a kicker to get that 2C. That is when Cozens is ready to move in. His presence would change the makeup of the top 9 so who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Sam’s got 30 pts in 38 games, more than respectable.  I’d like to see him find a next level.  He’s been on the cusp, it seams to me, for a year and a half.  I’m ready, Sam.  

He's living off Eichel. Soft, complementary player that cannot drive play. He needs to be part of a larger trade and soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Reinhart has talent.  He's a 60-65 point player with consistency issues.  Put him on a team with three NHL quality lines, where players could be better mixed and matched during slumps, and he could be an 80 point player. 

Dumping Reinhart won't help the culture, just like dumping Kane and O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.  It just led to less-talented players losing more hockey games.  Losing more hockey games is a good way to kill culture.

Packaging Reinhart with one or two other players could get this team an equally talented player that brings a grittier style of play that the team sorely needs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jad1 said:

Coaches and GMs are cheap, talent is not.  Sticking with the wrong guy for too long is worse than dumping a bad guy every year, because that bad guy can decimate the entire organization.

There's nothing in Pegula's history with the Bills or Sabres to suggest that he's going to give a GM or coach time to grow into his role if he's not getting results.

If The Petula’s fire JBot who does he get?   Who works for him or her?   Their reputation in the NHL will be shot because of all the constant change.  Since Ruff’s firing there has been Rolston, Regier, LaFontaine, Nolan, Blysma, Murray,  Housley ... add JBot and RK and that’s 10 in 10 years.  Not the way to attract a top hockey guy. 

As mentioned by another poster, maybe he finds a President of Hockey Operations to help JBot run things.  He can just dig another well. 

2 hours ago, jad1 said:

Reinhart has talent.  He's a 60-65 point player with consistency issues.  Put him on a team with three NHL quality lines, where players could be better mixed and matched during slumps, and he could be an 80 point player. 

Dumping Reinhart won't help the culture, just like dumping Kane and O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.  It just led to less-talented players losing more hockey games.  Losing more hockey games is a good way to kill culture.

I don't think Sam would be an 80 point player on that said team, I think he'd produce less in that shuffle.  I'm not bashing Sam but he plays with weak physicality and he's not a small man.  

I don't think dumping Sam is the thought and I don't think he has any bearing on negative culture.  I think the thought is, can we trade Sam for something we're better off with vs having to pay him 6.5 - 7.5 mil per.  I lean towards trading him and at least attempting to spend the money elsewhere.  Fully understanding, we'd have a difficult time finding a player worth that kind of money to come here.  

It's a tough one for me. 

So some fans want to fire JB now. Like right this very moment ...

Instead of spewing your wishes of just half of the move, complete your thought of who exactly will replace him. I bet half the “fire JB” crowd all of a sudden, fall silent and don’t have a logical answer.

And a strawman answer like ... “replace JB with anyone” is a weak one IMO.

So what does that say?

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

So some fans want to fire JB now. Like right this very moment ...

Instead of spewing your wishes of just half of the move, complete your thought of who exactly will replace him. I bet half the “fire JB” crowd all of a sudden, fall silent and don’t have a logical answer.

And a strawman answer like ... “replace JB with anyone” is a weak one IMO.

So what does that say?

Good point.  All I can think of are:

Randy Sexton - Some continuity and may be better than JBOT.

Mark Hunter - Lost power struggle with Dubas in TO.

Rick Dudley - Because he's Rick frickin' Dudley (and has lots of FO experience).

Edited by Tondas

I hate to say this, but Boston didn't even play well tonight and they were missing (arguably) their best 2 defensemen and they still strolled to a shutout. We have a useless hockey team.

I was afraid this would happen, but it looks like Skinner is the most overpaid mid range talent in the league so good luck with the cap when the kids need to be paid, Reinhart is softer than melted butter, at least half the team (if not more) simply go through the motions each and every night, and I see virtually no possible trade scenario aside from a tear down (which won't happen until they fire JBot and we start all over yet again on another 5 year plan). There simply is no fix.

The only small light at the end of the tunnel I saw recently is I think Cozens is our 2C, if not next year the year after. He looked very good for Team Canada in the World Juniors. Kid is big, strong, goes to the dirty areas, plays a complete game. He will be the real deal and a perfect fit as a 2C. Samuelson also looked half decent and steady. 

Boston will smoke us at home.

• Like (+1) 2

I, for one, thought Buffalo played well.   They created offensive chances, no puck luck tho. 

Johansson had some good looks. 

Thought Okposo played well, and Ullmark has been really steady.

Dahlin is playing really well lately too.

That said, you can't simply play well and expect to beat the Bruins, they're one of, if not the, best team in the league.   

This team isn't that far off, seriously.   Ullmark gets red hot, maybe Dahlin goes on a tear, or a guy like Johansson starts finding the back of the net... and they're right there in the playoff hunt.

Trade Reinhart tho, that guy is terrible.  He's simply reaping the benefits of playing alongside Eichel.   He cant score more than 3 feet from the net.  What is it he does that makes him so special?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.