GDT: Buffalo at Ottawa, Dec. 23, 2019, 7:30 ET, MSG, WGR

Doohickie

YOUR BUFFALO SABRES take on the Ottawa Senators at Canadian Tire Centre, eh?, in Ottawa.

The Buffalo Sabres will look to take some momentum into the NHL holiday break when they visit the Ottawa Senators on Monday night.  The Sabres snapped a three-game winless streak (0-2-1) with a 3-2 victory over the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.  Captain Jack Eichel, who missed Thursday's game because of an upper-body injury, returned and had an assist to extend his personal point streak to 18 games. Eichel has 32 points (16 goals, 16 assists) during the streak.  "In the first period, I think it took me a little bit to get into it," Eichel said. "But I think I got more into the game as it went on and started to feel better. I had some chances."

Defensemen have played a large role in the Sabres' offense and Saturday was no exception, as Rasmus Ristolainen and Marco Scandella scored the tying and go-ahead goals, respectively, after the Sabres fell behind 1-0.  Ristolainen scored on a rebound off Jeff Skinner's shot to get the Sabres on the board.  "I think our forwards are really working two ways," Ristolainen told the Buffalo News. "It's really easy to trust them, they're coming back (on defense). I saw maybe one forward was changing there, so I felt a little chance to go down to the net and the puck got to me and I put it in."  Ristolainen has nine points in Buffalo's past 12 games, and Sabres defensemen have combined for 82 points through 37 games.  "You can see D diving in and making some more plays, playing with more confidence," Scandella told the News. "Opening up space for the forwards and, at the same time, we're going to be getting chances, too."

The Senators have lost three of four (1-1-2) following Saturday's 5-4 shootout defeat against the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. It was rare home loss of late for Ottawa, which has won eight of its last 10 at Canadian Tire Centre.

Tyler Ennis had two goals and an assist for the Senators. Marcus Hogberg made 34 saves.  "For the guys we had on the back end, some of the young guys that haven't had a lot of experience in the league, against some elite players, I thought some guys played really hard," Ottawa coach D.J. Smith said. "I thought, being down 2-0, we just kept playing. And then being down in the third, we found a way (to force overtime)."  Ottawa was playing without three of its top six defensemen -- Dylan DeMelo, Ron Hainsey and Nikita Zaitsev.  Defenseman Mark Borowiecki had a goal and an assist, giving him four points in his past three games.  "He shoots the puck. He doesn't play around, he doesn't get it and make a bunch of moves; he just puts everything on net," Smith said. "And when you shoot pucks, pucks sometimes go in. He doesn't give you an inch, he plays hard, he gave us a great game tonight."

Goalie Craig Anderson could return against the Sabres. He's missed six games with a knee injury suffered against the Flyers on Dec. 14. The team didn't hold a morning skate before Saturday's game.  "I just want to give Andy one more practice," Smith said Saturday. "He could go, but we'll give him the practice (Sunday) and then give him a crack at Buffalo."

Here's a little fun at Tyler Ennis's expense:  We all remember him from his time with the Sabres.  Does anyone remember this picture that is reminiscent of a bad high school yearbook photo?

tyler-ennis-2013-33.jpg

I think he was so embarrassed he went to the opposite extreme.

tyler-ennis-2014-33.jpg

Looks like he finally found a hairstyle he can be happy with.

tyler-ennis-1934-5432.jpg

But he still needs to lose.

GO SABRES!

Eichel Magic

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

cut.jpg

It's a game night in Ottawa as the Sabres will play the Senators tonight. 

Faceoff is at 7:30 p.m. with the Buick Game Night pregame show going on the air at 7 on MSG. 

After the game, the NHL goes on holiday break. Buffalo's next game will be Friday at home against the Boston Bruins.

• The Sabres have gone 11-3-3 in their last 17 games against the Senators.
  • The home team has won each of the five meetings between these teams since the beginning of last season.

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

We need this one.  Need to string 2 W’s together.  

Sens are playing better but they are a team we should beat   

I fear Hutton might play, I hope not.  Linus should be ready.  

I feel the same. This is really a big problem, and needs to be addressed. I mean Linus can't play every one of the 40+ games remaining.

Ottawa is one of those teams that always makes for a dreary game and a lousy opponent.

New Jersey is similar for me, as is Carolina.

I always enjoy playing certain teams and hate playing others.

Remember when Ottawa was actually a fierce rival and a matchup with them promised some rough stuff?  

Yeah, that's gone forever. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love games against the Sens. To me they'll always be the team I started to hate because of those 2006-2008 Sabres teams. I hate Toronto more, for sure, but Ottawa will always have a piece of my heart for hatred. 

So, let's kick the ***** out of these guys and get back into the playoff picture. Big game tonight, need to accumulate points where we can. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WildCard said:

I love games against the Sens. To me they'll always be the team I started to hate because of those 2006-2008 Sabres teams. I hate Toronto more, for sure, but Ottawa will always have a piece of my heart for hatred. 

So, let's kick the ***** out of these guys and get back into the playoff picture. Big game tonight, need to accumulate points where we can. 

I just don't have any feelings for the Ottawa Senotors at this point. It reminds me of the Dolphins and Bills for the last 20 years. Both teams stink and all emotion has been sucked from my soul. Who cares about these crappy ass teams?  

Just now, inkman said:

I just don't have any feelings for the Ottawa Senotors at this point. It reminds me of the Dolphins and Bills for the last 20 years. Both teams stink and all emotion has been sucked from my soul. Who cares about these crappy ass teams?  

Well that got dark. Sabres will spank Ottawa tonight and all will be well. 

Or Ennis gets a Harry and we get blown out. 

3 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

Ottawa is one of those teams that always makes for a dreary game and a lousy opponent.

New Jersey is similar for me, as is Carolina.

I always enjoy playing certain teams and hate playing others.

Remember when Ottawa was actually a fierce rival and a matchup with them promised some rough stuff?  

Yeah, that's gone forever. 

Still remember that playoff series where Hasak stoned them. Those were the days.............

We need this win but it will not be easy. I've seen bits of a few Ottawa games and they play hard and tough. Their physicality might give us big problems. What will we do if and when Borowetski (or whatever his name is) rocks one of our guys into the boards the way he concussed Koneckny a few weeks back? Will younger Tchachuk get a response from us when he does his thing(s)? Ottawa is low skilled but fiesty and hard to play against. We have to be good.

It's a funny thing, but I look at Ottawa, who did a complete tear down and lost almost all their high end talent and yet, they are not the worst team in the league. Rather they seem to have taken a different rebuild approach and seem to have built team unity and character (culture?) first and will presumably add the skill later (?) but in many ways it's an approach that seems to be surprisingly working. They should not be taken lightly.

Post Christmas we have 3 big games and this stretch might just define our season. So before that, I'd say this is kind of a must win. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.