it was Carter Hutton's birthday

miles

47 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

I would like to give him a renewed sense of confidence.

This. Can’t recall the last time I saw a goalie inside his own head this much.

35 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

How about giving him a team to replace the gutless one that played last night and hung him out to dry?

Chicken and egg here. The Sabres didn’t run for the bus until it was clear the Hutton Effect was in full self-destruct mode.

The Sheary goal had the whole team thinking “here we go again,” the reviewed goal confirmed that, and Carter was so flustered he was practically in another county on the PP goal.

I’ve been in that kind of game, as I’m sure most of you have. There was no way their goalie was going to let them win, no matter what they did. Their response was as understandable as it was terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Weave said:

What is it about Buffalo that brings out the insecurities in goalies?

Im sure we’ll move him to NYI, he’ll find his confidence and put up Vezina numbers, and he’ll have an interview that pisses off the Buffalo fanbase.

It's the Hasek Syndrome....knowing that you'll never meet the standards here in WNY.

3 hours ago, Weave said:

What is it about Buffalo that brings out the insecurities in goalies?

Terrible team defense for the past decade.   Drafting bias towards offensive skill for too many years.   No two-way players in the pipeline.

• Like (+1) 1

Hutton was suppose to be a vet that can show the team how to prepare and how it’s done.  Up until this year he was doing that. I see and hear a defeated person.  Like his chance at a Cup passed him by when St Louis chose not to extend him and he ended up on Phil’s team.  

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

This. Can’t recall the last time I saw a goalie inside his own head this much.

Chicken and egg here. The Sabres didn’t run for the bus until it was clear the Hutton Effect was in full self-destruct mode.

The Sheary goal had the whole team thinking “here we go again,” the reviewed goal confirmed that, and Carter was so flustered he was practically in another county on the PP goal.

I’ve been in that kind of game, as I’m sure most of you have. There was no way their goalie was going to let them win, no matter what they did. Their response was as understandable as it was terrible.

Robin Lehrer during a shootout

• Like (+1) 1

Hutton was never that good. He had one good season in St. Louis where he had a team that plays very strong in front of their own net. When we take care of the rebounds and are good in front he can look good still and has, but we are terrible overall in that department and so his weaknesses show and are easily exploited. Put Hutton on a team like Boston or the NYI and I bet you he'd have a fabulous save percentage again.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Hutton was never that good. He had one good season in St. Louis where he had a team that plays very strong in front of their own net. When we take care of the rebounds and are good in front he can look good still and has, but we are terrible overall in that department and so his weaknesses show and are easily exploited. Put Hutton on a team like Boston or the NYI and I bet you he'd have a fabulous save percentage again.

I don't know how good his save % would be elsewhere, but I agree with your general point here. He's just not that good a goalie, and playing in front of a fundamentally bad hockey team has exposed him.

He's no more than a backup at the National league level.

16 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

I don't know how good his save % would be elsewhere, but I agree with your general point here. He's just not that good a goalie, and playing in front of a fundamentally bad hockey team has exposed him.

He's no more than a backup at the National league level.

He was a decent backup. Now he is a poor one.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.