The Beer Thread: Because Beer

LGR4GM

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

So I dont drink ETOH, but I have heard there are some non alcoholic craft beers... I recently tried a Guiness version called Caliber... not bad... just curious for us non drunks or no longer drunks if anyone knows of any good alternatives?

Depending on what your level is I've heard Kombucha is a good alternative. Has sort of that bitter hit of a beer w/ a very low alcohol level (like 0.5%). They make hopped ones, too.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/19/2019 at 11:48 AM, sabills said:

Depending on what your level is I've heard Kombucha is a good alternative. Has sort of that bitter hit of a beer w/ a very low alcohol level (like 0.5%). They make hopped ones, too.

I'm not sure I buy that. I love me some kombucha, but what I've had (and made) is way sweeter than any beer. It's a substitute for pop, and you can make mixed drinks out of it through.

• Like (+1) 1

Creature Comforts in Athens - I love their Reclaimed Rye, but Tropicalia is their biggest hit.

Reformation Brewery  in Woodstock - Known for their Belgian style brew.  I love Haddy, their Belgian Wheat, and their Stark, a toasted Porter.

In my town of Marietta there is Red Hare which can be found in stores.  I like their Long Day Lager as a good wing and pizza beer.  Also here but not in stores is Glover Park which is owned by a friend.  Their Boogie Down Brown Ale is great.

Gate City in Roswell makes a solid American Amber called Copperhead.  There is also Variant in Roswell.  I haven't been there yet, but they have a Barrell Aged Stout at 11.5% I want to try.

In Atlanta you have Scofflaw (IPAs) and the available everywhere Sweetwater (also IPAs).  Not my favorite, but they huge following.  I do drink Sweetwater 420 on occasion.

Atlanta Brewing (formerly Red Brick) is the oldest craft brewery here.  Their Homestead Pilsner is very good, but mostly they do IPAs also.  Blue Moon is also here and available elsewhere.  Their flagship in Blue Moon is a nice Belgian White.  I'm interested in trying their Iced Coffee Blond.  Also Monday Night Brewing has some really interesting Ales.  Their Scotch Ale, called Drafty Kilt is good and has a kick a 7.2%

I have 3 beers from Reformation in my fridge right now and some Creature Comforts Reclaimed Rye and I plan to pick up some Atlanta Brewing Homestead Pilsner today.  I also keep Molson Canadian, Negra Modelo and Innis and Gunn (their English Ale and Bourdon Aged) in my fridge all the time.  I also like their Bourdon Aged Porter.

note: I just copied this over from the Casey thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It's summer.  Best *****-tier pisswater.  Go.

Personal Top Rankings:

Blue/Blue Light

Yuengling

Canadian

Genny O/Cream Ale

Gansett

Miller Lite

PBR

High Life

Old Style

Modelo

Coors O

Hamm's

Tecate

Corona

XX

Worse/worst:

Coors Light

Bud Heavy

Bud Light

Keystone

Steel Reserve

Kirkland Light

Edited by IKnowPhysics

@IKnowPhysics

If we're talking the beer equivalent of "turn off the brain" Arnie movie my list would be.

Yes (in order of preference)

Drygate Bearface Lager

Sainsbury's "Czech" (supermarket own brand, brewed by staropramen)

West Brewing St. Mungo

Michelob Ultra

Red Stripe

Corona (really cheap right now for some reason ?)

No

Tennants

Budwieser

Miller GD

Heineken 

Becks

Stella Artois 

Makes me sound picky, but if its nice day with feet in the paddling pool and the bbq on I'll most likely drink most haha.

Flying Dog has a beer called Tropical Bitch which is a fruited version of their Belgium ipa. It's delightful. 

My go to summer beer is Genny Ruby Red.

Finally, my favorite Buffalo brewery is rusty nickel followed by pressure drop. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Flying Dog has a beer called Tropical Bitch which is a fruited version of their Belgium ipa. It's delightful. 

My go to summer beer is Genny Ruby Red.

Finally, my favorite Buffalo brewery is rusty nickel followed by pressure drop. 

I'm more familiar with the Southtowns, so 42 North and Hamburg are goto. If it counts, Southern Tier but that's not exactly Buffalo. My usual Buffalo process is to stop in at Aurora Brew works when I get there, buy a couple 6-packs of interesting stuff, get a pizza at Pasquale's down the street, and drink that for the week. My and MrsPie's parents are local to there though, so it's easy.

Other Half...... pretty much anything, but the Imperial Oat Cream IPA's have a place in my heart right now. I'm getting spoiled by the current availability in cans, and the drive up service. 

Three Heads has a nice NEIPA series going now...... New Zealand Fog series. Nice if you like NEIPA's. Draft only, but the current Strong Arm is excellent and in cans. 

On the lighter side, Thin Man Pils Mafia is darn good stuff, and I've always liked their Bliss and Burning Money.

Buffalo Brewery Favorites - Thin Man, with 12Gates a close second. 

1 minute ago, hsif said:

Other Half...... pretty much anything, but the Imperial Oat Cream IPA's have a place in my heart right now. I'm getting spoiled by the current availability in cans, and the drive up service. 

Three Heads has a nice NEIPA series going now...... New Zealand Fog series. Nice if you like NEIPA's. Draft only, but the current Strong Arm is excellent and in cans. 

On the lighter side, Thin Man Pils Mafia is darn good stuff, and I've always liked their Bliss and Burning Money.

Buffalo Brewery Favorites - Thin Man, with 12Gates a close second. 

Oh yea, love me some 12 gates. 

42 minutes ago, MattPie said:

I'm more familiar with the Southtowns, so 42 North and Hamburg are goto. If it counts, Southern Tier but that's not exactly Buffalo. My usual Buffalo process is to stop in at Aurora Brew works when I get there, buy a couple 6-packs of interesting stuff, get a pizza at Pasquale's down the street, and drink that for the week. My and MrsPie's parents are local to there though, so it's easy.

Well if you mean the south south towns that all makes sense. Rusty Nickel I think in West Seneca so not crazy far from 42 north and hamburg brewing. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've decided to come out...as a fan of Belgian ales. They are just the the best. I try the Belgian-style ales that a lot of craft brewers make but it's not the same. Maybe it's the yeast. My current love is La Chouffe Blonde. But I also enjoy Leffe.

brasserie-dachouffe-la-chouffe-152546738

You are not alone.  I'm partial to Belgian styles as well.

• Like (+1) 1

I tend to gravitate towards breweries based on crowd, rather than the beers themselves, although quality of the beer does determine the frequency of my return.  I go for the smaller, quieter places.  The more out of the way, the better.  The two I hit most often lately are Silver Lake Brewing and Dublin Corners Brewing.  Dublin Corners is in the middle of nowhere.  We usually go on Sunday afternoons.  I can usually count the number of patrons on the fingers on one hand on Sundays, and that's a pretty big motivator for me.  Especially now with COVID solidly in place.

If any of you ever find your way down to Chautauqua Lake, Big Inlet Brewing just outside of Mayville is making some damned nice beers.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

It's summer.  Best *****-tier pisswater.  Go.

Personal Top Rankings:

Blue/Blue Light - yes

Yuengling - yes

Canadian - yes

Genny O/Cream Ale - yes

Gansett - don't know it

Miller Lite - yes

PBR - yes

High Life -yes

Old Style - don't know it

Modelo - never had it

Coors O - yes

Hamm's - don't know it

Tecate - never had it

Corona - yes

XX - yes

Worse/worst:

Coors Light - yes 

Bud Heavy - yes

Bud Light - yes 

Keystone - yes

Steel Reserve - yes

Kirkland Light - don't know it

I'll drink pretty much all of them, and I'll add:

Utica Club

Keystone Ice

Beast Ice

MGD

14 hours ago, Weave said:

I tend to gravitate towards breweries based on crowd, rather than the beers themselves, although quality of the beer does determine the frequency of my return.  I go for the smaller, quieter places.  The more out of the way, the better.  The two I hit most often lately are Silver Lake Brewing and Dublin Corners Brewing.  Dublin Corners is in the middle of nowhere.  We usually go on Sunday afternoons.  I can usually count the number of patrons on the fingers on one hand on Sundays, and that's a pretty big motivator for me.  Especially now with COVID solidly in place.

If any of you ever find your way down to Chautauqua Lake, Big Inlet Brewing just outside of Mayville is making some damned nice beers.

If you ever get down near Keuka Lake, Abandoned Brewing. During the week it is way less busy than the weekends but it is a small out of the way place. 

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I've decided to come out...as a fan of Belgian ales. They are just the the best. I try the Belgian-style ales that a lot of craft brewers make but it's not the same. Maybe it's the yeast. My current love is La Chouffe Blonde. But I also enjoy Leffe.

brasserie-dachouffe-la-chouffe-152546738

You are not alone.  I'm partial to Belgian styles as well.

I am glad to see that Belgian styles are popping up more. They are really good and I am so sick and tired of US brewers thinking the answer is MORE HOPS! I don't need your quadruple dry hopped IPA that tastes like you pureed a pine tree and I sure as hell avoid breweries that have 6 IPA's on their menu. Belgium Double, Triples, Quads, Strongs, Goldens... all with way more flavor and are just delightful. 

• Like (+1) 3

+1 for Dublin Corners. That's a little hidden gem near the Genesee Greenway Trails.

Edit: in fact, let me know if you and the wife are going to stop by there on Sunday. I might go walk the stretch from Cuylerville to Mt Morris, so Dublin Corners would be on my way back up to rt 20 from Cuylerville.

Edited by darksabre

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.