Favorite Christmas song

PASabreFan

I mean, it's music. Taste is inherently and stubbornly personal. There's really no objective greatness (outside of truly transcendent artists, I guess?). If you don't like it, you don't like it. Leave it there, leave it at that. Griping about how you somehow can't like the song because others like it so much is ... well, it's not a good take.

• Like (+1) 1

Generally speak, it's non-pop covers these days. I'm so tired of the standard versions of the songs I have to tune them out.

That being said, this has quietly become elite.

Backstory: in 1988 (?) my dad purchased a CD player (fancy!) and we got "A Very Special Christmas" (great album) "for my mom". We set up the CD player and put in probably our only CD at the time, and she absolutely hates the album. It's now running joke in our family.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

The whole album is my favorite by far at Christmas. Drummer Boy and Oh Holy Night to cap it off.....

This man has it. Guaraldi wove amazing Christmas-time textures on that piano (and organ).  

I'm partial to all of the stuff out of the '40s and '50s. A lot of it is masterful music creation that has no peers, and evokes Yule Time feelings equal to Norman Rockwell's conjuring of an idyllic American past.

18 minutes ago, ... said:

I'm partial to all of the stuff out of the '40s and '50s. A lot of it is masterful music creation that has no peers, and evokes Yule Time feelings equal to Norman Rockwell's conjuring of an idyllic American past.

Not sure if you ever heard about this, but Firestone used to put out a Christmas album every year.  I think it was just retreads (see what I did there?) of existing Christmas songs assembled into an album.  So they put out an album of all Perry Como, Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, Frank Sinatra, etc., Christmas standards every year.  My dad would go to the Firestone at the Thruway Plaza (later Thruway Mall) and buy the album every year.  My parents had a stack of those; they might still be in my mom's basement.  To me, those albums were The Sound of Christmas when I was little (in the 1960s).

That Firestone is one of the few buildings still standing from the original Thruway Plaza.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Vince Guaraldi did some amazing music for the Charlie Brown specials.  Could you imagine those shows without *that* music?

The Charlie Brown Christmas is my second favorite album.  It's a nice transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas.

• Like (+1) 1

Time and Again, the song voted best ever Yuletide anthem has been "Fairytale of New York"

Pretty hard to top a song that begins "It was Christmas Eve, Babe, in the drunk tank."
https://theweek.com/articles/595104/fairytale-new-york-how-soused-irish-punk-band-created-greatest-christmas-song-all-time

My runner up: Bing Crosby & David Bowie's duet (Peace on earth...can it be?):

• Like (+1) 1

I heard Santa Baby the other day and a question suddenly popped into my head.  "How in the hell do I actually know that this is Eartha Kitt?"  She's well before my time and I really only know her as Catwoman.  And it's not a song I really care about either way.  So why did I so quickly identify her as the singer?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.